Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Okay, don't laugh... Cover help requested

JimboK

So my main cover band is pulling back on rehearsals as they care too much about "dollar's per hour". Plus we just have the material down so it's understandable. Adding songs just doesn't take enough time to justify practice every week.

Since I need to play more, I have decided to join a few buddies who are doing a... wait for it... 80's metal project. I know, I'm probably foolish but this may be perfect as my needed contribution will be minimal so I won't feel guilty if I skip a practice or two.

They have decided they want to do "Turbo Lover" by Judas Priest. I am a fringe element in this band so I cannot really tell them they are idiots quite yet!

A little research yielded that all of the synth work was done with those Roland G-707 Guitar Synths. I am, at best, I beginner synth programmer so trying to emulate guitar based pitch movement is daunting. Any recommendations on where to start? Pitch stick, knobs, envelopes? Combinations of all? Sounds like lots of things going on at once here.

EDIT: Link to song: Youtube Link

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first thing that hits my ears is heavy flanger - if you can set a patch on any of your boards to use a controller (knob, wheel, etc.) to control the internal flanger's parameters, (include delay in the chain as well), you might get close to it. Just my 0.02 - not terribly familiar with that tune - and didn't know the opening was a Roland 707 GitSynth.

Yeah, I am a darn keyboard player and I hate the Judas Priest "Keyboard Album". Reckless is the only song I really liked and that was the one without any synth at all.

Definitely not my preference to play this one but I am basking in the lack of decision making I am doing. It's glorious.

Thanks Timwat, I just need more professional ears to give tips. Helps a ton.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

I'm smiling, not laughing. Used to cover this one in the late 80's. The car-show crowd loved to hear this tune.

Had the sound nailed on my OB matrix 6 synth. I sold that synth, but still have it on my M1000. I would need to do some diving with an editor to see exactly what I did, but off the top of my head:

Mono Mode

DCOs = Square waves - Hard sync on

Modulating one or both DCOs pulse widths, one of the DCO's pitch, and the VCF with a slow envelope to create the flanging effect.

Taking a listen to what I have in my M1000.

I used two versions of the patch.

One which just swept up, then down when the key released. (for the hook)

The other patch had a square or descending ramp LFO which modulated the VCA while the sweep was taking place. (for the meat)

Of course, You could use a flanger if there is some way to control it's sweep start point.

Best

Karl

MPCX, RD-800, Vsynth, Matrix 12

Archived