Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

REAL Polyphonic Synths Without Patch Storage

Markyboard

I'm drawing a blank here but I'm sure there's got to be a few. And why is that? Cant be price when quite a few monos are up there in price and have no patch storage. The Behringer thread got me thinking about this.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't miss patch memory on the Reface CS because it seems like such a one trick pony to me there is only one sound I like on it. (one trick although it is a good trick)

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The original Yamaha CS50/60/80 didn't have digital patch storage but did have a number of fixed presets. The CS50 has 13 presets (no user storage), the CS60 has 12 (1 user), and the CS80 has 22 (6 user settings). The user settings on the CS80 were programmed by lifting a panel under which is a miniature version of the front panel knobs and switches.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I'm drawing a blank here but I'm sure there's got to be a few. And why is that?

The Oberheim SEM-based polys immediately come to mind, they were available without patch storage (and the patch storage you could add was limited)... they created polyphony basically by stacking multiple monophonic modules. Without the programmer module, if you wanted to change the sound on a 4-voice (with all keys playing the same sound), you had to make every adjustment four times. Not especially desirable for most people. Possibly the same technology that allowed, for example, a single knob to simultaneously control 4 or more filter cutoffs likewise enabled easier programmability...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Juno6 - Nice!

Polymoog had presets but not patch storage. Korg Momo/Poly also no patch storage.

Polymoog - good one! I never realized the Mono/Poly had no patch storage although technically its should have been named Mono/Para.

Ok, as I thought there were only a handful and therefore I'll go out on limb and speculate the Behringer will have patch storage.

How bout VSTs? Any without patch storage?

Do I get a prize then? :)

Compliments of HammondDave

http://www.1hd1.com/IMAGES/CARS%20&%20TRUCKS%20PREVIOUSLY%20SOLD/GM/69%20RED%20FIREBIRD/69%20RED%20FIREBIRD%201C.jpg

:w00t: What a beauty.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I built this in various hotel rooms around the country during 1979-1980. 8 voice SSM based, no patch storage. Or panel markings.

I gigged it for several years until I came off the road.

I could touch up the vca TG attack and release, vcf TG attack and release, filter fc, filter res, and 16 vco initial pulse widths to switch from synth strings to synth horns in about 10 seconds.

http://hotrodmotm.com/images/gallery/polymonster.jpg

Moe

---

If we are considering things like the PolyMoog and Korg PS then we can probably include the ARP Quadra. It claims to store 16 patches but is not true patch memory.

http://a142.idata.over-blog.com/3/97/96/23/ARP-Quadra/Quadra-et-polymoog.jpg

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

No patch storage reminds me of some of the hardcore linux programmers I've known...it's no fun getting anything done unless it involves doing it in the hardest manner possible!

Seriously though, when I had my Virus (which of course has patch storage)...I tended to use a handful of patches and program it on the fly during gigs. This is partly because I'm very lazy when it comes to programming and saving patches, and partly because it was fun :)

The Quadra memory stores the status of front panel LED's that mark which sliders need to be manually tweaked to set a particular patch.

It claims to store 16 patches but is not true patch memory

How so? I'm not familiar with the Quadra.

Hi,

The Quadra stores the settings of the 40 parameter switches only (upper row in the picture), slider positions are not stored. Some of the switches allow you to disable the corresponding slider and use a preset value instead (like the Polymoog), while other switches are basically for signal routing.

jve

Interesting. Kilobyte was probably not in the synth related dictionary yet let alone MB or GB. I'm guessing they used some kind of analog memory. Thanks for sharing.

Indeed, patches are stored in a battery backed-up (digital) memory chip featuring a whopping 256 bytes. Those were the days!

-jve

Archived