Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Evidence of Water on Mars...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

News Story

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040302a/15-jg-01-elcap-texture-B038R1_br.jpg

If thats a real pic from mars its stunning.

And just as I always expected.

If so, some evidence of a least low levels of life are very likely present as well.

Maybe SunRa really did come from Saturn. :D

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Incredible pic... awesome and amazing news.

I dunno how this makes it "more likely" that life on Earth began on Mars... but it's pretty wild to consider there may well have been life on Mars at some point.

No, that's not a legit photo of Mars you jokesters.

For those of you still wanting to believe, the evidence does not consist of standing water on Mars, but of signs that once in the past water was probably present and left evidence of that.

M Peasley

Originally posted by M Peasley:

No, that's not a legit photo of Mars you jokesters.

For those of you still wanting to believe, the evidence does not consist of standing water on Mars, but of signs that once in the past water was probably present and left evidence of that.

M Peasley

Was it necessary for you to approach this thread with smartass stamped on your forehead? Check the link dummy...it IS a legit photo of Mars. No one in this thread made any claims about standing water on Mars...though there may be some. There is evidence that the soil our rovers are driving in is sticky...quite possibly from moisture. So, do your own reading before assuming I haven't.

jeez :rolleyes:

:)

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I dunno how this makes it "more likely" that life on Earth began on Mars... but it's pretty wild to consider there may well have been life on Mars at some point.

If life was at one point possible on Mars then it is more likely than if life was not ever possible on Mars. Pretty simple ;)

No one in this thread made any claims about standing water on Mars...
Ok, I get it. The picture you posted with standing water on top of rocks is TOTALLY UNRELATED to the rest of your post.

How silly of me to think they were related! I should know better after having watched TV news all these years that what you see and what you hear may bear no relation to each other....

BTW, I did check the post before I replied. The picture you posted is not on the linked page.

Maybe what's going on is someone posted a "simulation" of Mars water on Mars rocks to help us all out who cannot imagine what water on rocks might look like.....

May I reply with my own sheesh?

Sheesh.

M Peasley

M Peasley

no I'm not rude...just being direct, sorry if I had a laugh at your expense, I could have gone another way...it's rude to make a bunch of assumptions based on what you "think" you see. If I'd posted a doctored photo I would have made that clear.

GO HERE if you want more info on the above picture and/or what kind of discovories the rovers are making.

No worries on this end...just setting the record straight...I hope my poking didn't piss you off too much.

Water...Yes!!! Lets go fishing!!

I bet those Martian sea-bass taste Mmmm Mmmm good! :D

No seriously, I say we leave at least one rover up there for a long while, no telling what we'll find given more time!

TROLL . . . ish.

I know I may be just a cat, but even I know that life as we know it (you know, carbon-based and all), requires three things: energy, water, and organic molecules. So far, we've found 3 out of 3 on Mars.

Given recent discoveries of life thriving in the most Mars-like regions of planet Earth, like in the blackness of the deep ocean where creatures thrive on energy from the Earth's core rather than from the sun, or living worms frozen solid in icy rocks, life on Mars doesn't seem as far fetched as it used to be.

Dooby Dooby Doo

Ok, thanks for the link - I found the jpg on the NASA site. So you didn't doctor the photo.

But I've been staring at that photo, and, crazy I may be, but it still looks like water standing in the crevices and low spots in the rocks. The underlying rocks get "watery" looking and are gradually submerged.

So...I think this photo has been Photoshopped by NASA to simulate what the water "would have looked like". I mean it does work as an illustration of that sort cause the topography looks just like some shallow, half-dried up creek bed here in Texas.

I'm going to email NASA.

No mention of 'shoping the image:

The Texture of El Capitan

This image, taken by the panoramic camera on the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity, shows a close up of the rock dubbed "El Capitan," located in the rock outcrop at Meridiani Planum, Mars. This image shows fine, parallel lamination in the upper area of the rock, which also contains scattered sphere-shaped objects ranging from 1 to 2 millimeters (.04 to .08 inches) in size. There are also more abundant, scattered vugs, or small cavities, that are shaped like discs. These are about 1 centimeter (0.4 inches) long.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040302a.html

The caption for the picture thumbnail says "The millimeter-scale detail of the lamination covering these rocks can be seen."

I think that what you are seeing as water is just super-smooth "laminated" rock.

Can't wait till we get a manned exploration crew out there!

Originally posted by meccajay:

Water...Yes!!! Lets go fishing!!

I bet those Martian sea-bass taste Mmmm Mmmm good! :D

No seriously, I say we leave at least one rover up there for a long while, no telling what we'll find given more time!

Well, since we don't currently have any way of getting them back, I think we'll be leaving them both up there for quite a while. ;)

Don't know what their "life" expectancy is. Hopefully, like the Voyager spacecraft, they'll continue to function beyond the mission parameters. :)

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Did anyone know that our "bio-rythms" are on a 25 hour day? And, here's the cool thing - is that Mars has a 25 hour day? So, is it possible that "we" evolved on Mars?

Maybe Mars was the mythical "Garden of Eden" unless of course you literally believe in the bible, then the possiblility wouldn't include an "off-world" anything. :(

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Actually, whether or not it was the literal birthplace of all mankind (which I don't believe it was), the Garden of Eden does seem to have been a real place, based on what researchers have been able to piece together from the information given in the Bible about its location, the landscape, etc. Saw a documentary about it recently that was pretty interesting. Somewhat ironically, it's in Iraq. :D

Garden of Eden does seem to have been a real place, based on what researchers have been able to piece together from the information given in the Bible about its location, the landscape, etc.
I think I saw some of that too, I just can't help to think that the bible is mostly just allegorical story telling, meant to symbolise an idealistic moral code or ethic. It may have been that Iraq was a scenic backdrop from which to tell a story of that time.

The 25 hour bio-rythm still seems interesting, if we did come from the stars or somewhere else, it may be that some story's were left-over from those times and for a reason lost over thousands of years as written or some other recorded documents.

I'm sure that evolution has played such an immense part of our past, that we may have had several advanced civilizations totally unbeknowst to our present day as to be wiped from all time. :cry:

I want some of those turquoise colored rocks in the upper right corner of the photo. They'd make great inlays for guitars.

I was gonna say Native American jewelry, but then, it couldn't exactly be Native American if it came from Mars, no?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Wow, the significance of the first step toward proof of life on another planet is really lost on some people.

Relatively speaking, if there is now or was ever even a microbe living on Mars, which happens to be a close planet that's convenient to visit, and only one of the infinite billions and billions of similar planets out there, then there is all the more possibility that life exists elsewhere. Different kinds of life. Meaning we, finally, may be finding out that we're not all alone out here. That'd be a day that marked the beginning of a new era for mankind. You could be in the generation that is the cusp of another epoch in the all-time history books. Shouldn't most people find that exhilarating?

Instead, we still have people bitching about the cost of the mission. Holy hell, what's the cost of not discovering there's life in other parts of the universe? Let's have some long-term perspective. This is amazingly cool shit.

- Jeff

We'll probably destroy this place before we get to the next "epoch", or the advanced people will get put-out-of business enought to slow it down to nothing.

Look at the "great" things going on in Pakistan today, the president over there has had several attempts on his life, and if some nut-case like Bin-Laden gets those nukes, we are screwed. I think Bin-Laden is in Pakistan for that very reason, and hence all the attemps of revolt and assasination.

We humans just aren't capable of collective reasoning, just look at the Passion of the Christ thing, you gotta be kidding me, we should have been over that fantasy years ago, people are just too dumb... and reproducing like rats.

Have a nice day :wave:

Archived