Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: excited audience members

George88

I've been playing in a cover band for several years now. I am always struck by the amount of excitement that some people show (if we are lucky) when we play songs they like. I realize that unless I were at a Paul McCartney show, I wouldn't react the ways in which some do when they hear the opening to Don't Stop Believin'.

How many of you, that play live gigs, ever respond to live music with the same level of excitement that fans or patrons of the club do?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am probably more enthusiastic as an audience member to bands than I recall having most people be enthusiastic to me. That is okay. I love music whether giving or receiving it.

But then, we are no Paul McCartney show.

:rolleyes::laugh:

To answer the question, I'm generally a fair bit more circumspect when I'm an audience member, although I did have one or two scotches too many at a mate's band's show about 18 months ago and apparently was VERY into it. Don't remember it that well...

Slightly OT: We played a show recently where some of the girls on the dance floor took selfies with us while we were mid-song. A first for us but they were having a great time so we went with it and mugged for the camera as the situation demanded. Now THAT's enthusiasm!

Most of the gigs I play and go to are prog rock gigs, so it doesn't take much effort! :D

But in general, yes. If I'm at a gig as a punter I look on it as a sort of professional courtesy to give the band on the stage the kind of reception I'd like to receive if it was me giving that performance. Energy between band and crowd is a two-way thing at a gig.

Slightly OT: We played a show recently where some of the girls on the dance floor took selfies with us while we were mid-song. A first for us but they were having a great time so we went with it and mugged for the camera as the situation demanded. Now THAT's enthusiasm!

On a similar note we were 2nd on the bill at a prog rock festival and all the acts on before us were polite beard-stroking flutes 'n mellotron affairs. Nothing wrong with that but standing through 4 hours of it is a good way to kill a crowd. Not good when you're more at the Powerslave/Seventh Son end of the prog spectrum and it took some serious work to get them around. Fortunately our singer normally plays some real spit and sawdust places so by about half way through he was out dancing in the crowd and posing for selfies during the instrumental bits. Some of them were even women!

I've been playing in a cover band for several years now. I am always struck by the amount of excitement that some people show (if we are lucky) when we play songs they like. I realize that unless I were at a Paul McCartney show, I wouldn't react the ways in which some do when they hear the opening to Don't Stop Believin'.

How many of you, that play live gigs, ever respond to live music with the same level of excitement that fans or patrons of the club do?

Alcohol

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Well yes I tend to whoop it up at big name rock shows, definitely part of the fun and excitement when I'm seeing a Paul McCartney or the Stones or whoever; and don't get nearly as excited at seeing any cover or tribute bands. So I relate and agree with your observation, and it's funny you mention "Don't Stop Believing" I have for years gotten a kick and a laugh out of how excited audiences get when you launch into that one, almost like they're surprised, seemingly forgetting in their drunken stupor that every other bar/cover band they've ever seen has also struck it up at this time of the night, lol.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Archived