Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I gigged with KB3 and its double leslie tonight ...

Delaware Dave

Played a gig last night in Baltimore at a tiny place called the Cat's Eye Pub. The stage was small and crowded so I decided to just go with the PC3's KB3 and double leslie. As some know I've spent tons of time tweaking the settings and recently took a fresh approach to re-tweaking the settings again. I was pleasantly surprised by how decent the organ/leslie sounded, especially the double leslie. In the mix it actually sounded pretty good. It also makes for a quick setup not having to setup the Voce nor the Vent. I was able to setup and breakdown quickly. I think that I am going to use it much more frequently than I have in the past. Who knows, maybe I'm just getting mellower or older ....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excellent, Dave. Cat's Eye Pub in Fell's Point has been there forever, great vibe. I first visited there almost 40 years ago, glad your gig went well. Sometimes it's good to be in tight spaces to see what we can make do with. Hopefully we are all "getting mellower or older...." :cool:
:nopity:

Awesome. This stuff is always in context. Right tool for the right job. So you ask yourself am I playing solo or trio organ or 13 piece band. What am I willing to reasonably carry. Does the KB3 do the job for me tonight and am I happy with the result? The answer here is yes. Not to mention all the other sounds you can switch to, split and layer for whatever comes up all night long. So KB3 double Leslie it is!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Cat's Eye is a fun place!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

One band I'm in has a monthly spot at a small club in Richmond called Cary St Cafe.

The stage is tight, but the place has a really cool vibe,

The last three shows I've been taking only the Kurz PC3. Works great in the mix and I have received many compliments on the sound of the keys. They cut through great. I pretty much just use The Organ patch 49 with double Leslie, and Gig piano and Rhodes from the Wieser gig pack.

Easy set up/ tear down and sounds great.

I changed the organ tonewheel map to "mellow" rather than using the bright setting plus adjusted the upper tonewheel adjustment. It cut down some of the shrillness I was getting. I did notice that the organ cut through nicely. I got a lot of the phaseyness out of the double leslie (although not all). C3 C/V is not usable and I used C1 most of the night with some dabble of C2. I also played organ about 70% of the night so I really got a good perspective to the sound. It won't compete with a dedicated clone but I wasn't frustrated playing it. For a small gig like the Cat's Eye with minimal space and quick turnaround time needed to setup it did the job.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I grew up in Balto and know the Cat's eye, great place. I am now using the double Leslie in the Forte for my gigs and am happy enough with it. Might pick up a Diversi module eventually but agree that CV1 and 2 are the way to go with the Kurz. When you say you got most of the phaseyness out of the double Leslie, I gotta ask, ....you are running mono right? Are you using a mono double Leslie or have you just panned the stereo double Leslie more to the center, cause I did just that and it really seemed to help. Bill W's mono Leslie is still a great starting point for mono.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

I'm running mono. Everything between the two leslies needs to be in sync like the ramp times (accel/decel times), speed and dead center panning in order for mono to sound good. Two exact replicas are needed. Stereo can be panned but mono needs dead center panning or the center facing points will drift and the result is excessive warble.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I haven't gigged with my PC3 in 18 months now since I got my SK1. I'm getting lazier and lazier in my old age. The SK is SO EASY to schlep and set up.

Prior to that the PC3 was it for the previous 4 years and I played the crap out of the KB3. It's only us true organ geeks who care that a good clone beats it. Virtually every player I work with thought the KB3 was the best digital organ they had heard. They love the SK too but I asked a few of them which they thought was better and maybe one said the SK the others said hey, they both sound great. But these are everybody but keyboard players. Here's a quick demo I put up for someone a few years ago who asked about it for rock:

The SK1 with a Vent is better but this ain't bad.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Hey Jazzmamal, organ sounds great! I'm tempted to pick up either a PC3 or similar, used. Can the KB3 mode in the older machines sound as good as that?

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

The older K2500/2600 and PC2 models KB3 is not (IMHO) as good as that on the PC3. I still prefer my SK1 (or Module on the iPad), but use KB3 frequently to avoid carrying extra gear.

I do occasionally use the KB3 in the earlier PC2 - I don't like the fast Leslie at all, but it can overpower loud guitards - a powerful sound, especially in the bass register.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I agree, I had a PC2X for about 5 years before the PC3. The PC3 organ is quite a bit better, I remember being impressed the first time I gigged with the PC3. However one thing the PC2X had that I really miss was the scat voices. The PC3 has some decent voices but they're not the ones in the PC2 for some reason. Here's a clip of those I did about 8 years ago:

My scat solo starts at about 2:50. Those voices are sweet and I really miss them.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I pretty much just use The Organ patch 49 with double Leslie, and Gig piano and Rhodes from the Wieser gig pack.

No doubt that Kurzweil makes some great boards.

And I think that many musos will agree; based on the programming he has done while employed with the company, as well as what he offers today through his own company, Weisersound, Dave Weiser continues to add a lot of value to Kurzweil instruments, in a fashion very similar to what Don Leslie did for Hammond. :2thu:

Dave - Thanks! We all appreciate your efforts and your spirit!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hey Jazzmamal, organ sounds great! I'm tempted to pick up either a PC3 or similar, used. Can the KB3 mode in the older machines sound as good as that?

I'd say forget about the older ones. IMO the overdrive on the PC3 is much better than the one on the PC2. (Of course if you run it through a Vent this becomes less relevant.) Also, with the nine sliders, it's a no-brainer.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

I don't own a Forte so I can't respond to your question. Now that the Forte has full VAST editing and 32 DSP effect units I would take the double leslie that I created for the PC3 and import it into the Forte as a user effect. It can be retrieved here:

http://ksetlist.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=960

Or here:

http://forums.godlike.com.au/index.php?topic=3861.msg31844#msg31844

The double leslie is an aux effect tied to the "upper KB3" program within the setup.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Archived