Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Questions about Cabs

Dannyalcatraz

Because I wanted ease of use, don't intend to gig and have space limitations, when I got into electric guitar, I bought a Fender HRD combo. I've been aware for some time that my taste in what I play isn't always supported by the HRD's voice, so I'm getting a new amp this year- probably an Orange or Mesa.

In the process, I'm also revisiting the combo vs head & cab issue. As I shopped, I found a lot of different amps out there I could easily see myself lusting after. If I wish to indulge in- let's be 100% honest- virtually pointless amp collecting, I can't buy a bunch of combos.

But I have noticed there's a bunch of variations in cabs, too, and the one that puzzles me most (right now, at least) is the various speaker configurations. Of those that would fit in the spaces I have available, I've seen 1x10, 1x12, 1x15, 2x10, 2x12, and 4x8. Not all are in local stores, though, so trying out all the variants isn't exactly practical.

I recognize that the 1x12 and 2x12 are common for a reason, but I have to ask, what advantages & disadvantages can be found in the other configurations.

Also, I've seen cabs from Orange, Mesa, Carvin and Mojotone around... Any preferences? Any others to look at?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because I wanted ease of use, don't intend to gig and have space limitations, when I got into electric guitar, I bought a Fender HRD combo. I've been aware for some time that my taste in what I play isn't always supported by the HRD's voice, so I'm getting a new amp this year- probably an Orange or Mesa.

In the process, I'm also revisiting the combo vs head & cab issue. As I shopped, I found a lot of different amps out there I could easily see myself lusting after. If I wish to indulge in- let's be 100% honest- virtually pointless amp collecting, I can't buy a bunch of combos.

But I have noticed there's a bunch of variations in cabs, too, and the one that puzzles me most (right now, at least) is the various speaker configurations. Of those that would fit in the spaces I have available, I've seen 1x10, 1x12, 1x15, 2x10, 2x12, and 4x8. Not all are in local stores, though, so trying out all the variants isn't exactly practical.

I recognize that the 1x12 and 2x12 are common for a reason, but I have to ask, what advantages & disadvantages can be found in the other configurations.

Also, I've seen cabs from Orange, Mesa, Carvin and Mojotone around... Any preferences? Any others to look at?

If the sound of Celestion Vintage 30's is to your liking- lots of upper-mids, some find it an upper-midrange "spike", I like it, BIG "KerrrRAAANG", kick and presence- then you might like the Orange PPC212 closed-back 2x12. I've tried one out with an Orange Tiny Terror head and my Fuchs Lucky 7 and it's a badass cab. The one I test-drove was brand-spanking and I do mean SPANKING new, and I am sure it would only get even better with further breaking-in. Responsive to picking-attack and adjustments to the guitar's volume-controls; tight in a good way and did I mention that "KerrrRAAANG"?! :rawk:

Those Celestion Vintage 30's have pretty high power-handling, too, especially in a pair.

Here's what I originally posted about the Orange Tiny Terror and 2x12 cab years ago:

_ thumbs_up.gifOrange Tiny Terror & 2x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Want a small, fat sounding 1x12? The Egnater Rebel 112x 80W 1x12" Cabinet, with a custom-voiced Egnater/Celestion Elite-80, is a whole lotta fat, smooth Celestion tone in a very compact 1x12 cab. The Elite-80 takes some breaking in, sounding and feeling a little bit awkwardly boxy at first, but it gets better and better with some miles put on it. I speak from personal experience with my own Egnater Rebel 112x!

Concerning that speaker:

"The Egnater Elite 80 is a [Celestion] Classic Lead 80 that is private labeled for us. They did some sort of tweak to the low end that makes it ever so slightly fuller in a small cabinet. Honestly, I don't know if anyone could really tell the difference between the Egnater and the CL80 except maybe in a blind A/B test. I would consider them interchangeable. FYI, this speaker excels over other speakers in the smaller cabinets (open or closed back) for a much fuller/tighter low end, smoother high end and tons less cone break up (farting). How loud you play has a tremendous effect on how a speaker responds. A V30 can sound brighter, clearer at low volumes but does tend to get a little abrasive in the high end and definitely breaks up easier than the 80 at higher volume."

- Bruce Egnater

Egnater also makes a fine 2x12 cab, the Tourmaster 212x is an extremely well-made cab that also features a "convertible" back-panel, for closed-back or open-back operation.

Now, if you really wanna go high-end, the Fuchs/Feiten (as in Buzz Feiten) Vintage 212 is a very sophisticated 2x12" cab with unique design and material features. It's easily my "dream cab"; I'd load it with one Scumback Scumnico and one Scumback H75 or H75-LD for higher-powered amps, or one Scumback S75-PVC and one Scumback H75-PVC for low-watt amps. Here's what Guitar Player's Art Thompson had to say about the Fuchs/Feiten Vintage 212:

Licensed exclusively to Fuchs, the Buzz Feiten-Designed Ultra light Vintage and Classic cabinets are built to Feitens specifications, using the same materials and construction techniques. Buzz Feiten put a huge amount of R&D into his cabinets years ago, and to this day they still offer a level of performance that belies their relatively small size. The Vintage cabinet that we tested is based on Feitens original design and features staggered, diagonally mounted 12 speakers, one mounted in front of the baffle and the other behind the baffle. The black Tolex covering is neatly applied, and cab features metal corner protectors and a top-mounted handle. Surrounded by white piping, the pop-off grille features both a Fuchs logo and small silver plate with Feiten inscribed on it. Held in place with 14 screws, the rear cover removes to reveal a painted interior that is padded with sound deadening material to mitigate standing waves for improved efficiency and tone.

Smaller and lighter than most 2x12 cabs, the Vintage looks well proportioned under all but the widest amp heads. Designed to deliver the punch of a 4x12, the Vintage sounded as tight and focused as youd expect from a cabinet with twice the number of 12s when tested with a Fryette Sig:X 100- watt amp. This cabinet does its thing without sounding too directional either, which is good from an audience perspective, as well as for being able to hear yourself when youre standing off-axis from it. Though designed with blues and jazz players in mind, this cabinet, with its Eminence Texas Heat speakers, provides excellent performance over a wide spectrum of clean to highly overdriven tones, making it a veritable Swiss Army Knife for the stage. The Vintage pairs well with amps of 50 watts and up, but it sounds killer with lower wattage amps too, making it a superb choice for anyone seeking a compact 2x12 with big sonic aspirations. AT

MODEL

BUZZ FEITEN DESIGNED ULTRALIGHT VINTAGE 2X12

CONTACT fuchsaudiotechnology.com

PRICE $895 street

SPECIFICATIONS

SPEAKERS Two Eminence Patriot Series Texas Heat 12s

CONSTRUCTION Baltic birch

POWER HANDLING 300 watts

FORMAT Closed back

IMPEDANCE 8ohms; (also available in 4ohms; and 16ohms)

WEIGHT 43 lbs

DIMENSIONS 23.75" x 20.75" x 11.75"

BUILT USA

KUDOS Excellent punch and presence. Sounds bigger than its size.

CONCERNS None.

From Andy Fuchs:

The Vintage cabinet is perhaps Buzz's finest and most well-known design. It features a diagonal staggered mounting of two 12" drivers, with a unique mounting arrangement that places one driver in front of the baffle and one behind the baffle. This provides a much larger perceived sound from an otherwise extremely small cabinet, a very manageable weight, and a full sound that is dynamic, clean, quick, and punchy like a 412. It's an excellent highly portable cabinet for blues, jazz, and records particularly well. The cabinets are shipped for horizontal use, but may be used in either direction or ordered for vertical use.

The cabinet may be ordered with Texas Heat speakers by Eminence or the ET-1265 by Warehouse Sound without up-charge. Many other drivers are available, consult your dealer or the factory for pricing.

Speakers

All Fuchs® products feature Eminence speakers as standard, unless otherwise stated. The following speakers are stocked and available at no up-charge: Red, White and Blues, Wizard, Delta-Pro, or Texas Heat. We also stock the WGS 1265, and Celestion 'Creamback' which can also be supplied without up-charge. Speaker upgrades are available from other manufacturers such as Celestion, Tone-Tubby, EV, and Fane. Upcharges apply, and will be quoted upon request depending on the speaker type.

The cabinet may be ordered with 16-, 8-, or 4-ohm wiring, or unloaded. The cabinet measures 23.75 W X 11.75 D X 20.75" Tall and weighs 43 lbs Loaded and is 24 lbs unloaded.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey Danny, I bumped the Laney Ironheart thread hoping Fusker will comment on the amp he purchased but had to put away until 6/11 as his wife wanted to give it to him on his birthday. Hopefully, he'll let us know how he likes it...

I think the lighter 112 combo is a great idea weight and sound wise...this Laney has some pretty cool features (to include 6L6's, etc.) at a pretty cool price. If you get a chance to try one out I would appreciate your future comments. I went to my local GC and they didn't have one (which may be a good thing when it comes to my pocket book LOL!). :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Generically, I feel anything smaller than a 12" doesn't support the low end sufficiently. (I'm looking at you, VOX Pathfinder 15R, next to my desk. Cute, but where's the beef?) One of my odd favorites around here is a 60s Standel Imperial with a single JBL 15". Bit of a one trick pony but a great advertisement for the notion of a 15" being some kind of guitar aural heaven.
Scott Fraser

Be sure to consider the power-handling requirements of the amps that you will be connecting to the speaker-cab(s) that you buy. A good rule of thumb with tube-amps is to have speakers with a combined power-handling equl to or exceeding

Generically, I feel anything smaller than a 12" doesn't support the low end sufficiently. (I'm looking at you, VOX Pathfinder 15R, next to my desk. Cute, but where's the beef?) One of my odd favorites around here is a 60s Standel Imperial with a single JBL 15". Bit of a one trick pony but a great advertisement for the notion of a 15" being some kind of guitar aural heaven.

Besides the low end beef and "balls", 12" guitar speakers have, to my ear, more shimmer, harmonic-swirl, richness and complexity than 10" or smaller speakers.

I suspect that this may have something to do with slightly, subtly slower attack and envelope times, slower speaker reaction and damping.

10" guitar speakers tend to sound, to me, to have a faster, snappier attack and response, and rafts of them- two, four, eight at a time- can move a lot of air and low-end, often with a tightness and clarity that 12" speakers usually don't have- but I'd prefer said shimmer and swirl.

I haven't had enough experience with 15" guitar-speakers to say much, but I'd expect that a logical continuation of what I've observed with 10"s and 12"s would follow through. I bet that an open-backed 1x15" cab and a closed-back 2x12" cab would be a mighty satisfying rig...

I have 2 1-12 cabinets with EVM 12L's in them. I have had the speakers for many years and they still work great. I would play any hundred watt amp full up through those two and I am sure they would make it through the session OK. However I play my Egnater 15 watt Tweaker through the oldest one, and it sounds as sweet at low volumes as it does singing under great amounts of power.

The beauty of the one twelve cabs is; they are light and easy to carry. Plus with the EVM12L's in them each one will handle a hundred watts easy.

That is my cabinet story. I also have a Hot Rod Deluxe with an Eminence Cannabis Rex 12" speaker in it, but if I was going out, the HRD would play through the 2 EMV12L loaded cabs unless it was a very small room.

You probably know...Chet Atkins used a 15" JBL/Standel for recording, betcha that's why you bought it. Had one in an Ampeg for guitar but it's long gone. Have put my old D120 into an small cab and also use an Eminence GB128 in a cheapo Ibanez cab to keep the pounds off. 2x12 are always better than 1x12 except for weight so I split it up.

The Eminence is pretty close to the JBL for recording sound not cranked, a bit more air maybe. Sounds similar to a Greenback but is 1/2 the price & does not produce early break-up like a Greenback.

But not a 15...nothing quite like a 15" IMO, particularly for clean tone.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

The biggest tone consideration I mull over is do I want that sealed back push like a 1960A or do I wanted a open back tone. Both are great. Avatar is doing some convertible cabinets. My favorite cab right now is the Boogie vertical 212 slanted. It is like a 1960 ripped down the middle. If I want to play open I just use a combo. I always let the FOH do the heavy lifting.

I love a 115 combo. That is my go to pedal steel rig. Boogie mk IIC with the 15 is iconic.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The biggest tone consideration I mull over is do I want that sealed back push like a 1960A or do I wanted a open back tone. Both are great. Avatar is doing some convertible cabinets. My favorite cab right now is the Boogie vertical 212 slanted. It is like a 1960 ripped down the middle. If I want to play open I just use a combo. I always let the FOH do the heavy lifting.

I love a 115 combo. That is my go to pedal steel rig. Boogie mk IIC with the 15 is iconic.

Y' know what works very well? A "best of both worlds" scheme, with ambiance and directional push? One of each; say, a 1x12 or 2x12 open-back, AND a closed-back 1x12 or 2x12; one closed-back as your main cab, placed facing diagonally across the stage/playing-area, the other open-back as an extension, off to one side, at a slight angle relative to a wall. I've read of some having said open-back facing the wall, with the speaker-polarity reversed and the sound effectively firing out from the backs of the speaker cones- I haven't tried that yet, but I have used a combination of closed-back an open-back cabs like the former arrangement, as well as a miked and/or direct signal going to PA and monitors. It works great for floating your sound around and being heard while also being able to keep a reasonable lid on the overall volume-levels.

It doesn't hurt to have one or both cabs tilted-back at an angle, either.

Archived