Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replacing individual broken keys in my Kronos

timwat

Hey so I thought this might be of interest to someone.

I've been gigging my K73 constantly since 2011. Recently had a few broken keys, from different incidents. Since I'm comfortable under the hood (previously DIY'd a broken Kurzweil key in the PC361), I called Sweetwater and ordered a bunch of spare keys. Took several weeks to finally show up...but eventually they did.

Replacing keys in the Kronos RH3 is really simple. You just have to be comfortable with electronics, go slowly, and know what's delicate and be gentle.

With the board on it's back (resting on a soft towel), remove every screw from the bottom panel (take note which holes have the larger bolts). Don't lose any.

Gently remove the metal foil grounding strips that are glued to the rear of the keyboard action.

Gently remove the three plastic molex wire harnesses near the joystick.

Remove the two screws holding the front metal bar (under the front of the keys), and remove the metal bar.

The RH3 key bed should now be completely free from the rest of the unit, and you can slide it out of the Kronos, flip it over so it's right side up.

Examine the keys. The rear of each key is "latched" into place by two small plastic hook tangs - which easily snap off over time under vigorous playing. If both tangs break, the rear of the key will pop loose - and the key won't return up after being depressed - or it will jump free!

Keys are removed by pressing down on the front and then gently pushing the rear of the key body forward. Don't lose the flat, skinny metal spring bar under each key!

After you install new keys using the exact reverse action used to remove broken ones, reverse the steps and carefully put the unit back together. Piece of cake!

PS: Obviously a perfect opportunity to wipe out all that dust and crud you let that hot girl drop into your keyboard at that gig last week.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good on you Tim. This sounds a bit more complicated then the boards I had to replace keys on in the past. One thing to really be careful with is the after-touch ribbon under the keys. It is extremely delicate, as I found out on my PC3x years ago.

Archived