Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie on Stop � hell must have frozen over!

ABECK

I've got the original Vent. If I want Stop, I have to bring the extra footswitch. I wonder if there is a way to mod the Vent so that the Bypass switch is changed to Stop? I never use bypass.

PS I absolutely LOVE those old ABC Ray Charles organ tunes!! One Mint Julep, Outskirts of Town, I've Got News For You, Moanin', etc. etc.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Genius + Soul = Jazz? That's the Van Gelder Studio house rig, '59 C-3 through a 21H. A huge swath of the jazz organ canon was recorded on that organ. (The C-3 is still in use there today...a 122 is on hand today if a client desires chorale, but the 30-watt 21H is still there and some organists pick it when recording at RVG's place.)

That's the one! I love that recording. And I love the sound of the organ on that recording.

Don't get me wrong; I love the sound of Greg Allman's distorted bluesy organ with Leslie miked 5 ways to Sunday, that's great as well.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Masters of Leslie control:

Booker T.

Jimmy Greenspoon

Stevie Winwood

I think there used to be this guy Jimmy Smith. He was good at it too.

Not totes sure, but someone told me once he didn't use any chorale speed at all on most of his records.

What an amateur!

Jimmy started using Chorale in earnest when he went to the west coast around ~72 ish, but there's French and other television footage from 1965 onward where he's using chorale as a 122 was provided with the backline organ. His later sound is chorale-based, with very sparing forays into tremolo. Chorale came out in mid-1963, and 122's became more common as after that point when you went to a Leslie dealer to get a cabinet for your new B-3, they sold you a 122. Smith just rolled with the changes and adapted to the equipment and created his later sound.

Booker uses chorale quite a bit today, but if you give him the capability to stop the rotors, he'll use the heck out of it. He loves that straight sound.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I was working with this last night at r/h. To pump up a rock jam under a guitar solo I'll sound one high note with Leslie on fast. Adds a lot of tension and energy.

I found that Leslie on stop is just about as effective for this purpose with a slightly different flavor. It cuts through the mix nicely where chorale does not. I am using NE2 with Mini Vent. Very cool, thanks ABECK! :cool:

Never was a fan of stop and still am not. I used it with my Motion Sound for one or two songs because the original song was recorded that way but I don't really like it.

I never warmed to the stop sound either. I've tried it, but it always felt like the bottom fell out of the sound when the Leslie stopped spinning. One thing I always wanted to do but never got around to was to build a linearly variable control pedal for my Leslie. Do any of the modern Leslie replacements like the Vent let you do this? By "this" I mean vary the Leslie speed from zero to max speed rather than choosing between Stop, Chorale and Tremelo. I've always wondered how that would sound/feel.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Sure. The Vent II can be controlled by an expression pedal for continuous speed adjustment.

Cool. Thanks. I'll have to try that out somewhere.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Or the great Jimmy Greenspoon! ...

I learned a lot of my leslie control (along with how to replace rhythm guitar with an organ) listening to Three Dog Night, Captured Live at the Forum. :thu:

[video:youtube]

thats cool and all... but how anyone could prefer to listen to this as opposed to Garths playing is beyond me. That man is a mad genius.

• 2 weeks later...
I was playing my A 100/142 2 nights ago and couldn't quite figure out what I was hearing that was different. Seems that I had plugged the chorale rotors back in at some point on my 142. I unplugged them and immediately could hear the difference, the notes were much more clear in stop mode. IIRC, it was Jimmy Smith who said that playing through chorale sounds like mumbling. Chorale certainly has it's place like any tool in the toolbox, but stop is best for me when rehearsing, I can hear myself better, if that makes any sense.
:nopity:

With a real Leslie on stop I would think the direction the horn is left facing would have way more impact on the sound cutting through (or not) than when in slow mode. especially when miked.

Personally, I think you're all a bunch of anti-choralites. Plus, how could you miss the beauty of that ever so fine adjustment between the slow and fast motors?

You would think that, Mark, but somehow it doesn't. I think your right foot fixes it autonomically. I have played a few gigs and many many rehearsals on a 51C and never had any issues.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I dislike the sound of my VR09 rock organ patch with the Leslie stopped, but what I often do is stop it briefly just to be able to get the cool effect of spinning it back up to speed on a held-out note or chord or another big moment in the tune.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

How do you stop it without either setting the chorale speed to 0 or turning off the sim?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Well on my VR09, I guess I keep it (the Leslie sim) on, but just flick the joystick horizontally to alternate betwee Slow and Fast, but on the default Rock Organ patch, "Slow" sounds to me anyway like "stopped," so I don't usually leave it on there long, just get it there to set up the ramp-up.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Yes, most clones and sims should have a stop setting, which is different than shutting off the effect (doing that will remove any cabinet or overdrive settings, which you want to keep.)

I prefer sims that give you the option of "forward facing" stop. Which basically means the virtual horn stops in the same position each time. Without this, the sound could be off axis, which will also sound different each time you stop it.

Personally, I think you're all a bunch of anti-choralites.

:roll:

Without this, the sound could be off axis, which will also sound different each time you stop it.

Exactly. Just like a real leslie. ;)

:nopity:

I haven't tried it in a while, but last time I did, I recall certain note/harmonic frequencies were almost always missing when I turned off front facing stop. Freaked me out.

I have been using stop more frequently as of late. Also using less click and more drawbar tweaking!

Me too.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Archived