Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie on Stop � hell must have frozen over!

ABECK

Ive never been a big fan of the Leslie sound on Stop. Too dry. Lifeless. Not my thang. However, last night I was in an adventurous mood at a gig and decided to ride on stop for a while. It was, well, dry, but pleasantly punchy. Not bad for my comping purposes, but still not my preference. Well now, when I switched from stop to fast, paint started to melt from the walls, dogs and cats started sleeping with each other, the heavens opened up and shone a light on me. Yes, I see it. I see the light I shouted.

OK, perhaps thats a bit overstated, but I was pleasantly surprised at the effect of going from stop to fast. Its not like I havent heard it before, but something clicked this time. I will definitely add this to my tool box. Dont get me wrong, I still enjoy the chorale setting too (not unplugging any virtual motors just yet.)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never was a fan of stop and still am not. I used it with my Motion Sound for one or two songs because the original song was recorded that way but I don't really like it.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Isn't that FUN! Occasionally I'll start a solo with Leslie on stop and no C/V, then kick in the C/V and finally spin up the motors.

Try this, instead of going from stop directly to fast, take a very brief trip to slow (about one second) before merging into the fast lane. The effect is subtle, but it does emphasize the change in movement.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

It was tricky to go from Stop to Fast on my Electro 2. On the Mojo61, it's really easy. I'm very happy about that. :thu:

My Leslie 45 only has Fast. Some people upon hearing this will say, "you can add Slow by doing such-and-such" and I just smile and say thanks. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Stop makes your notes cut more, why jazz organists like it and also the pleasant go to fast from stop I guess!

Guess it depends if you are playing linear music....

no one has to like Anything!

Hey, it's up to you!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Another tool in the toolbox. Organ needs subtle changes in sound every so often to keep it sounding fresh. Turning on chorale, vibrato, and changing registrations is all part of being organ players and not just using it like a synth pad.

And yes, the swirl from stop to fast is most glorious and dramatic!

Moe

---

I wish you could have chorale slow almost to stop but move just enough for a more moderate chorale effect. You'd still get an intense ramp up but not as thick of the slow chorale swirl. I think the fast motor would struggle to handle it though.

FunMachine.

I prefer it stopped over chorale. My Leslie at home has the Trek II switch so I can stop it via half-moon. Where I play once a week, I unplug the slow motor on the Leslie.

I really like how Mike Finnigan plays and he seems to stop the Leslie quite a bit. Check out the B3 solos on this track:

[video:youtube]

Another tool in the toolbox. Organ needs subtle changes in sound every so often to keep it sounding fresh. Turning on chorale, vibrato, and changing registrations is all part of being organ players and not just using it like a synth pad.

And yes, the swirl from stop to fast is most glorious and dramatic!

well said. :2thu:

:nopity:

I use stop alot! Funny how my playing style has changed over the years.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I never had stop on any 122, but I picked up one of those EIS electronic relays to put in with the coast mode and now I pretty much use stop all the time now at home on my C3. Much more definition. It makes you play more staccato I find.

Mike Finnigan is a fuckin bad ass. Nice guy as well. His phrasing is great, he knows how to fill the spaces:

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I really like how Mike Finnigan plays and he seems to stop the Leslie quite a bit.

Love Mike Finnigan. Check out his solo on this Bonnie Raitt tune. I love the subtle little palm slap he throws in around 1:55.

Stop to fast is a thing of beauty. I do a lot of stopped when I'm playing blues gigs.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I myself love those few recordings I have of Ray Charles playing organ - recorded I believe without a Leslie. No rotating sound.

Something about that sound speaks to me: it says old school; cleanly classic.

I play my XK3 thru a MS Pro, and I often have the MS Pro on the stop setting to get that classic "Ray Charles on organ" sound. Now if I could just play organ like Ray Charles!!

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Up until about 5 years ago, I would never have played Hammond without Leslie. The Leslie and Hammond together are like "Bonnie and Clyde" (in the words of another writer...)

Brian Auger completely turned my ear around. Now I love playing static Leslie.

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

I really like how Mike Finnigan plays and he seems to stop the Leslie quite a bit.

Love Mike Finnigan. Check out his solo on this Bonnie Raitt tune. I love the subtle little palm slap he throws in around 1:55.

ABECK he plays so clean also. Funny thing is I am a friend of his on Facebook and he talks politics mostly.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Great point. This is the stuff that separates an "organist" from someone who just "plays organ." I happen to be in the latter category but really enjoy hearing someone play who knows what they're doing. It's a beautiful thing.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I have been using stop more frequently as of late. Also using less click and more drawbar tweaking!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Or the great Jimmy Greenspoon! ...

I learned a lot of my leslie control (along with how to replace rhythm guitar with an organ) listening to Three Dog Night, Captured Live at the Forum. :thu:

Masters of Leslie control:

Booker T.

Jimmy Greenspoon

Stevie Winwood

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I myself love those few recordings I have of Ray Charles playing organ - recorded I believe without a Leslie. No rotating sound.

Genius + Soul = Jazz? That's the Van Gelder Studio house rig, '59 C-3 through a 21H. A huge swath of the jazz organ canon was recorded on that organ. (The C-3 is still in use there today...a 122 is on hand today if a client desires chorale, but the 30-watt 21H is still there and some organists pick it when recording at RVG's place.)

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Played a blues gig last night and used stop more than I had ever before because of what's been shared in this thread. Thanks guys. It was an excellent experience. I like how the stopped sound sits in the mix and how it inspires a different type of playing. Very cool!

Archived