Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RINGO

whitefang

Anyway.....

Last night, after not seeing it for quite some time, the channel I had my TV on showed that shoe commercial in which Ringo was groovin' on his kit while wearing some particular brand of shoe. He STILL has a great vibe.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What made RS most important as a drummer wasn't his steadiness (Charlie Watts has that) but his ability to add licks to tracks that were often as distinct as the tunes, gtr parts or other effects.

Some seldom considered aspects of Ringo Starr:

-As a member of Rory Storm's stage-burning band he was as famous locally as the Beatles before were he joined the Beatles.

Even having his own solo segments in Storm's shows.

-When they broke big in the USA Ringo was often the most mentioned in the general press, both for his distinctive appearance & his performance at their initial NYC airport press conference where his jokey answers to questions ("What do you think of Beethoven?"/ "Love him, especially the poems!") were quoted more than anythong else.

-In his memoir, EMI engineer Geoff Emerick says Ringo had the slyest wit of any of them & his deadpan demeanor kept one from ever being sure if he was kidding or not.

-That stood him well in films.

He basically stole the show in A Hard Day's Night.

Each Beatle was to have an individual sequence; McCartney lost his from overacting but Ringo's was enlarged.

Later on he was the 1st of them to develop a solo career, as an actor, with parts ranging from Magic Christian to Zappa's 200 Motels (he played Zappa) to Blindman (spaghetti western where he played a murderous bandit) to his poignant portrayal in That'll Be The Day.

-He did just work in front of the camera but behind it.

That segment of Haarrison doing Blue Jay Way in Magical Mystery Tour ? Filmed by Ringo.

He also made a documentary film abt Marc Bolan's T Rex (Born To Boogie), his wife's fave band.

-Post-Beatles he had the earliest & most consistent record success, scoring major hits from 1970 ~ 75.

-Not directly related to RS but his oldest son, Zak (that's right, no "c" & not short for Zachary, simply Zak) matches Dweezil Zappa not just for his name but as perhaps the maost talented rock star progeny.

Zak's the go-to-guy for The Who reunions & has even outflanked Jason Bonham in Led Zep.

d=halfnote

You forgot CAVEMAN, one of my favorite Ringo acting jobs. :)

I always felt bad about his solo music career not taking off the way the others have. I liked a lot of his stuff. His "The No-No Song" is still one of my favorites(maybe because I LIVED some of it? ;) ). But his "Travelling All-Sars" was always a big draw in the Detroit area's Pine Knob Music Center( now the DTE Energy Theater) every summer they came.

Didn't know that about Zak, but then, I really don't know MUCH about him. Interesting. Thanks, d. Most talented Beatle progeny? Maybe, since all I know about the others is...

Julian Lennon did OK as a "pop" artist, Sean Lennon gets rarely(if ever) any mention, and Dhani Harrison is mostly hailed for so closely RESEMBLING his Dad, and one of McCartney's daughters is a clothing designer. No notable musicians in the Macca clan I know of.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Julian Lennon did OK as a "pop" artist, Sean Lennon gets rarely(if ever) any mention, and Dhani Harrison is mostly hailed for so closely RESEMBLING his Dad, and one of McCartney's daughters is a clothing designer. No notable musicians in the Macca clan I know of.

Whitefang

Sean Lennon has a new band with Les Claypool, which is pretty good if the one TV appearance I saw is any indication.

I saw big Stella McCartney posters in the Vienna airport a couple days ago, announcing an upcoming fashion show.

Scott Fraser

Archived