Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electro-Harmonix Lester K/G Leslie pedals

AWkeys

Hi all,

I've been happily using my Ventilator since it came out in 2011, and while I continue to be happy with it, I was so impressed with the Lester demos that I simply had to have one! I splurged on the Lester G for a couple reasons: I wanted the acceleration knob, I liked the extra compression add-on (especially useful should I plug in a guitar), and while I may not use it all that much, I really like the fact that you can plug an expression pedal in for continuously variable Leslie speed.

I've used it with my Nord Stage 2 on 4 gigs (playing in mono) and one rehearsal so far, and overall I really like it. You gotta dial in the volume a little different (more on this later), and it's a darker, less mid-range-y sound than the Vent, which in a way adds to the realistic Leslie sound. The bad side is it's harder to hear in the mix. It's kinda more "cabinet-y" than the Vent, although the Vent is fantastic with that. One thing I really love is that the low rotor takes a lot more time to accelerate/decelerate than the Vent, which was always one of its shortcomings, IMO. The drive is really fantastic, though almost too much, which brings me to....

I plugged it into my studio monitors, running stereo into my Mackie mixer. Now I hear clicking and drive (even with it set to 0 drive) if I send the organ signal from my Stage 2 any louder than 12 o'clock on the master volume. I didn't hear this on my gigs, but that could just be masked from the rest of the musicians playing. You cannot pad the input of either the Lester G or K pedals - one of the things you CAN do on the Vent (at least on the original, which is what I use). I called EH customer service, and the guy I spoke to wasn't giving me any useful information, like what input level the Lester likes to see, etc...

This is a drawback for me. I've never had this issue with any other pedal. While I can turn the Nord down and try to jack it up with my mixer, having only 7-12 o'clock travel on the master level really blows.

Can anyone else corroborate??

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using the Lester K with a Nord Electro 2 rack at full volume without issue, but the Electro 2 has low output levels.

An obvious question - are you sure it's the Nord overwhelming the Lester G and not the Lester G running too hot for the mixer?

since 1 is designed for keys and the other for guitar, could the input level of the Stage be too hot for the guitar pedal, and that's the cause of the clicking and why you can't run the Stage output any hotter?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Maybe the G(uitar) version is expecting a low guiltar-level passive signal, and the K(eyboard) version would have an input better suited to the higher level keyboard signals?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The one thing the EH rep told me is that both pedals accept the same input signals. The fact that I didn't hear/notice it through my gigging rig (Yamaha MG06X mixer into a QSC K10) makes me wonder...

My Mackie mixer has never in 15 years given me any trouble like this before, but I'll research further! Thanks for your replies!

Just a quick comment about a recording idea I had. I have a few sessions coming up that I will work at from home, and I'm thinking of taking MIDI from the Nord and recording two stereo audio tracks, one with the Lester G and the other with Vent, both dialed in to be as close in sound as possible. Might make for a fun shootout, as well as a really cool mix, should I pan both tracks a bit to opposing sides.

The one thing the EH rep told me is that both pedals accept the same input signals.

The Lester G has 1Mohm input impedance, the Lester K has 2Mohm input impedance.

The Lester G has 220ohm output impedance, the Lester K has 680ohm output impedance.

So no, not the same. At all. You should have bought the K.

Wow, thanks Sven - and whomever I spoke to at EH was about as useful as a trap door on a lifeboat. I'm gonna have to come up with a different solution as I really like all the extras this pedal comes with.

I've had no issues running an SK2 into a Lester K. In fact it seems to deal with a slightly hotter signal than my Burn pedal cares for.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Archived