Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way way OT---Video editing software.

sagetunes

I'm about to jump into video as part of my whole gig. I'd appreciate any help in deciding which way to go. I worked in TV 100 years ago, but have done very little since then---a little Vegas and Movie maker---both of which I hated. My budget is 500/600 tops, but would love to spend much less. I suppose the biggist thing for me is the intuitiveness---much more than the bells and whistles I'll never use. I'm horrible with manuals and I'm easily frustrated. I almost had to kill myself while learning the Roland VS2480 multi-track platform---love it now. But it was really a horrible experience getting thru the learning curve.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and advice.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Windows I'd recommend Adobe Premiere Pro if you can afford it.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere.html

It's free to download and use, but when the trial expires you have to commit to their CC licensing plan which is $19.99 a month - but that gives you access to the entire Creative Cloud lineup. I guess the nice thing is, you can just pay for a month and use it on a project. When you're not using it, let your plan expire, restart your plan when you plan on setting aside time.

If the Pro app and expense is too much (probably is from what you're describing). The light version of the software is Adobe Premiere Elements $99.99 done. Much easier for the novice to use, lots of templates, but not as flexible as Pro. But maybe it's just what you need.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/features.html

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

+1000 on Premiere. I've used Avid, Final Cut, Sony Vegas, and a smattering of other various editing programs, and I now edit a weekly TV show using Premiere, and I'd never go back to any other software. If you want intuitive, Premiere is it.

My $0.02.

Stuff and things.

Funny. I used the original Media 100 system in the early 2000s, then we moved to Final Cut. I had an early version of Premiere for awhile.

When making the DVD for my Dirty Fingers record, I downloaded a trial of Premiere and it was the most confusing piece of software I've ever tried to use. I've been using computers my entire life; I am good with computers and software and can usually figure something out within minutes. I couldn't even figure out how to get a clip on the damn timeline.

I downloaded a trial of Vegas and was editing within seconds.

What's wrong with Vegas?

The GUI on the Adobe stuff has improved over the years. Premiere Pro is pretty much a media source window, an import into current sequence window, a timeline, and a real time view/monitoring window. Not complicated. Of course there's more, like the audio mixer and gamma correction, etc. But you can call up whatever you're using whenever.

If he were on a Mac, no reason not to use iMovie. Totally dumbed down and inflexible, but very easy to figure out. Since he's on PC Adobe Premiere Elements makes sense. Maybe Vegas too. I've never used it so no opinion on that.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

NCH VideoPad is what I use. One time license and it also licenses short music clips and sound effects. For me, intuitive and easy to use. Has a built in help menu if you get stuck.

Cannot remember, but roughly $70 I think for it now.

NCH VideoPad

:cool:

It also might depend on whether you need to do special fx and what your clients will require. I use Vegas, but supplement it with hitfilm if I need to do any particle type compositing. I'm not at the level of broadcast though, strictly local private event work as a sideline. There are a ton of video tutorials though regarding how to do specific things with Vegas. As with most things, the more often you work with a specific software program, the faster you will get with it.

Roland JP80, JV2080, AX-7, Yamaha CP33, Hammond XK3, Lester K

Miss my: ARP 2600, Minimoog, Polymoog, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha VL1, Hammond A100, 122 and 147 Leslie

Vegas, for the rare times I need video software. Used Premiere/After Effects in the past and it was too big a gun for me.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Vegas all the way. I've never used anything as fast and intuitive as it.

Jeez, I just Googled: $400, $600, and $800 for the 3 versions.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I use Adobe Premiere Elements, and it does everything I've needed so far.

More Googling: B&H (love that place!) has it on sale for the next 23 hours at $69.

CLICK ME!

Hopefully that's good for everyone and not just me, since I just bought another On Stage DT8500 keyboard seat/bench/throne from them ($65!)

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

For most people, the $79 version does more than everything you'd need. As for the prices you mention those are bundles. The software is the same, it is just extra programs bundled.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

For most people, the $79 version does more than everything you'd need. As for the prices you mention those are bundles. The software is the same, it is just extra programs bundled.

OK, I didn't see a Vegas for $79 on the Sony website.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware

Is it called Movie Studio?

Is it called Movie Studio?

Yes. Mine is called Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. And $79 sounds like what I paid. Last night I shot a quick phone vid of the Voyager and Model D connected, but wanted to use the audio from the DAW. Once the audio and video files were loaded into Vegas I was able to sync and render in just a few clicks and minutes. It's all I need.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

It's free to download and use, but when the trial expires you have to commit to their CC licensing plan which is $19.99 a month - but that gives you access to the entire Creative Cloud lineup.

The $19.99/month only gives you access to one app of your choosing - it's $49.99/month if you want to use the entire Creative Suite.

I learned Adobe Premiere by circumstance - I needed to edit a video at work, and it's what was available. I found the learning curve to be a bit steep. As with many Adobe programs, everything is more easily done by keyboard shortcuts, but you have to know what those are in the first place for it to be useful! The good thing is that pretty much whatever questions you may have can be answered by a google search; there are a ton of helpful tutorials out there.

Archived