Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chick Corea at Ravinia

jjo

Just back from seeing Chick, who is probably my favorite living jazz pianist.

First he did a full set with his current trio, Brian Blade and Christian McBride. They are the definition of intuitive musicians who play as one living body.

Then, he did a second full set with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. Most of the pieces were original charts of his compositions. Most of the charts, not surprisingly, featured his playing.

Both sets were absolutely awesome. Not to mention that he played for over 2.5 hours and he's 75.

It was really a privilege to hear such great music.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw Chick's trio last week with Joey Alexander's trio opening. Chick brought Joey out to share an encore of 4 hands improvising together then playing "Spain". It was clearly a special moment for both of them as it was for everyone in the audience. You can watch some of it on Chick's FB page.

If I had to pick favorites from Chick's set, it was "Alice In Wonderland" as a tribute to Bill Evans and Christian McBride's stunning feature on "Sophisticated Lady".

I watched the JALCO live stream from the Rose Theater of their concert with Chick during last season. Everyone in the band is a strong arranger and it was great to hear all those different perspectives Chick's music.

I gotta believe the JALCO stuff will be recorded soon. Hard to believe to can write all those charts and have one of the great piano players work with one of the great jazz orchestras and not produce a CD.

It's unlikely JALCO will record with Chick. The band's recording focus seems to be compositions from within the band, like Wynton's "Abbasynian Mass" or Ted Nash's "Portrait In Seven Shades". For concerts of works from outside the band (Chick, Miles, Wayne, etc), the JALCO members take on arrangements so everyone is writing charts throughout the year.

Here's a taste from a few years ago. Starts around 18 min into video.

[video:youtube]KsU2nFMATXs

Chick has been a huge influence on me musically, for his acoustic and electric piano playing, composing, and ever-exploring musical nature. He's playing as well at 75 as he ever has. No signs of the body or musical mind slowing down. That's something to celebrate!

The last recording with that Trio "Trilogy" is simply wonderful - the rapport he has with the other players is stellar.

And I watched a live feed of one of the concerts from JALC and it is a Master Class in how to comp and interact with a large band/written scores. Chick played off the charts so well, adding just the right interjections, and "danced" across all the arrangements. So much to learn from him. I wish they would commit it to a recording... but they should capture a live performance of it. Playing in front of an audience tends to spur the players on to a better performance....

Jerry

Archived