Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Leukemia

Daniel Wade

Unfortunately, within the last 2 weeks my wife has been diagnosed with Leukemia and has been undergoing chemotherapy. I have been reading mountains of material on it to educate myself on how to help her get through this, but I also thought I would see if anyone here has been through this, and what you may have done to make it better, and get through it.

I will also be retiring from playing live music, and will be selling a lot of music equipment, (Complete PA, ect) and will just be spending as much time as I can with her.

I'm not a very good salesperson, but what are some of the best methods currently of selling musical equipment.

I appreciate any information that you may have, as you all are some of the smartest and most caring people I know. Thank you, and if you wish to send prayers, best wishes, ect, it is appreciated.

Thank you again.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, to sell off stuff, keyboard... try here on the forum in the Garage Sale. Additionally there is reverb.com and ebay.com.

Cancer is up there with some of the greatest challenges of our species. There is only so much we know at the moment, and although our knowledge is expanding rapidly, it doesn't help the fact that it's a f*cking bitch for us now. Our mortality is also difficult to accept for many, most even. Live for today. Don't sweat yesterday or tomorrow. Enjoy your time together because that's what's going on right now.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Sorry to read this, Daniel. My best wishes to you and your wife.

Selling gear takes patience. If you're looking to get certain prices for things, you may find waiting it out and relisting helps. I've had some pieces that didn't seem to be moving and then suddenly someone appears who is willing to buy it.

I've used Craigslist and had mostly good luck with it. There have been some entertaining threads about horror stories here on KC, along with tips. Like meet with the potential buyer in a public place you feel comfortable with, and never have them come to your home. That said, I bought my piano from a guy in Conroe after checking out some other pianos at homes around the area. The guy I bought from didn't include a photo in his listing, but he mentioned that he was moving so I found his house on har.com and saw the piano in the photos so I knew it was legit. Sometimes being an internet stalker is useful. ;)

If you're on Facebook connect with me there and I can add you to some Houston-area groups where gear is bought and sold as well.

There's also the Garage Sale here. Then you'll be dealing with people you "know" and should be able to trust us.

Since you're local to me, I'm curious what you're going to be selling. Let me know via PM if you don't list in Garage Sale.

Again, my best to you and your wife, and if there's anything I can do to help or if you just want to get together, let me know.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Daniel, My thoughts and prayers are with your wife and you. I commend you for setting music aside as y'all fight this battle together.

As for selling your gear, I can't add much to the advice Joe shared, other than to know what your gear is worth -- check recent "sold" listings on eBay, for instance -- and know your "walk-away" point. Also, don't let folks know why you're selling. As I learned long ago in negotiations, it's not ethical to lie, but you don't have to blab the truth, either.

Tell the missus that she has folks she's never met pulling for her.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

My thoughts are with you and your wife.

I agree with the above comments. Garage Sale is a good source to sell equipment.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Daniel, that's rotten news. My hope is that the science is better now than it was 12 years ago when I lost a lovely girlfriend to it. It became so pernicious that she agreed to try some experimental drugs, which helped somewhat, for a time. The problem got bad enough that they alternately gave her transfusions when her red cell count got too low, but also had to draw blood out when she began *over*producing. That's why I winced to read your post.

Two small bytes of advice: 1) keep your one 'favorite' keyboard, especially if you have a workstation that will keep you in the general zone despite selling off a lot of gear. You'll need it later, no matter what the outcome. Don't totally close the door on it when you've been so positively drawn to music. Its a pillar of who we are. 2) Being a caregiver comes with real stresses. Save a little compassion with yourself and don't feel guilty if you get tired from it, because you will. Its not a failure of character.

I hope the variables work in her favor. Some people bounce back as if they got a magic Star Trek pill from Dr. McCoy. :thu:

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

Daniel . . . so sad to hear of this. For sure I am sending healing intention for her and strength for you both.

Off hand I do not have any suggestions on what she might supplement to assist her in over-coming this, but there has been success I have heard through people I know with various homeopathic remedies in addition to the treatment she is getting now.

I will keep my ears peeled.

:saber:

Daniel, you and your wife have my deepest condolences and prayers for a happy outcome.

I read The Emperor Of All Maladies a few years ago and highly recommend it. The author is interviewed in this very recent article about the future of cancer research:

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/7KMNuRxUlTvd8XxoeIYhhJ/Gene-editing-is-a-story-of-you-and-me-Siddhartha-Mukherjee.html

Daniel- I am also very sorry to hear of your wife's Lukemia. My Father-in Law has a history of it although his went into remission about 15 years ago. Unfortunately it seems to be rearing it's ugly head again as he approaches 90.

Anyway, I wish you and your wife the best through this very scary ordeal. Please know that your friends are only a mouse-click away.

Daniel, that's rotten news. My hope is that the science is better now than it was 12 years ago when I lost a lovely girlfriend to it. It became so pernicious that she agreed to try some experimental drugs, which helped somewhat, for a time. The problem got bad enough that they alternately gave her transfusions when her red cell count got too low, but also had to draw blood out when she began *over*producing. That's why I winced to read your post.

Two small bytes of advice: 1) keep your one 'favorite' keyboard, especially if you have a workstation that will keep you in the general zone despite selling off a lot of gear. You'll need it later, no matter what the outcome. Don't totally close the door on it when you've been so positively drawn to music. Its a pillar of who we are. 2) Being a caregiver comes with real stresses. Save a little compassion with yourself and don't feel guilty if you get tired from it, because you will. Its not a failure of character.

I hope the variables work in her favor. Some people bounce back as if they got a magic Star Trek pill from Dr. McCoy. :thu:

Wise advice on keeping a keyboard. My acoustic is most precious to me and during some hard times in my life it's been the only thing that could distract my mind completely for a while. Highly therapeutic.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

My thoughts and prayers are with you both during this time.

I've sold here, on the (discontinued) SonikMatter forum, and by EBay. With some care, all worked.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Unfortunately, within the last 2 weeks my wife has been diagnosed with Leukemia and has been undergoing chemotherapy. I have been reading mountains of material on it to educate myself on how to help her get through this, but I also thought I would see if anyone here has been through this, and what you may have done to make it better, and get through it.

So sorry Daniel. Went through this with my mom and you're going to need a really good support system. People react to chemo in different ways so pray for the best, but prepare for the worst. You will need a good support system around to lean on and help you out -- friends, family, even look at some in-home care if you need it. The hospital or other local organization may have a support group for families going through chemo - look into that, too.

Make sure you take care of yourself, too -- you will need to stay strong for both of you.

Praying for you guys.

My wife, Katherine, teared up a little when I read her some of your best wishes, and prayer posts, that were sent to her.

I was in the hospital with her, when I posted this, and she saw me and was wondering how we can just endlessly discuss keyboards. I told her we don't just discuss keyboards, and read some of the posts to her. She had no idea it was like this, and almost started crying. So thank you all, it means a lot to me, and now her as well.

Hey Daniel,

Man, thats a tough one.

My thoughts are with you.

Stay positive. Help her stay positive.

That's one of the hardest things. Staying positive when you feel

like you just can't do this another day. Staying positive when you've done

everything right and your still just feeling like the worst kind of crap and

your only half way through "this round" and just want it to stop.

Keep going. Beat it.

As far as selling stuff? Unless you need to, don't worry about it.

Pack it up. Put it away and concentrate on her.

If you need the money, is there anyone you can trust to help sell it for you?

That way it's out of your hair and you don't have to think about it.

Maybe make a list and PM it to one the brothers/sisters here that sells

stuff all the time. Maybe they could help?

If you want to PM me I'll try but I don't ever sell stuff. There are others here

that are pros at it.

Then list in the garage sale area here.

And ya, keep one thing if your gonna dump it all.

It's a part of the thing she loves about you.

John

Daniel, don't lose hope. There are many advances in treating Leukemia today. I woke up one cold morning in 1995 to find out my 9 year old son had Leukemia. I was in total shock and fear. He had chemo, his brother donated bone marrow for his transplant and today he is almost 30 years old, married and a college graduate. I NEVER lost hope.

Keep the faith. Mike

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10

Thoughts and prayers are with you and Katherine Daniel.

2 success stories to share.

A friend was diagnosed with Stage IV Leukaemia 18 months ago. Underwent targeted chemo and is in now in remission and leading a normal life.

Wife of a good friend was diagnosed with a rare form of Leukaemia 3 years ago. Chemo and finally bone marrow transplant.

Will be on anti-rejection drugs for the rest of her life but is back at work and leading a full life as a wife and mother to 3 young daughters.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Same here - sending you and your wife very best wishes.

Leukemia is a very heterogeneous disease - the different forms can behave very differently and can be treated differently. When doing your research, I'd just suggest that you limit your search to the specific form she has.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Daniel,, prayers of healing, strength and comfort sent up on your behalf.

Add another to the thought of keeping at least ONE KB to play when you need relief.

I truly believe music is a panacea. We have a gift in being able to play it. Hang in there mayne. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived