Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy 4th!

Fred_C

Happy 4th of July to all forum members.

A few years ago a local radio show broadcast comments from newly naturalized citizens. One comment really struck me. A woman stated, "You people have no idea how lucky you are."

She was correct in her observation. We often forget how fortunate we are to be Americans.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 Brother Fred, Happy 4th of July to everyone out there! I hope everyone takes a moment to reflect on all of our freedoms because of those that have fought for them. Our forefathers put there lives on the line when they wrote our Declaration of Independence...

I will be enjoying the day visiting and celebrating with friends and family. Eating BBQ at my son's birthday party and playing music tonight at a friends 4th of July party... :cheers::w00t::2thu:

Take care, Larryz

Fred, several years ago I was talking with a young man who just moved here from Albania. The first time he walked into a CVS drugstore, he thought it was the most incredible store he had ever seen in his life! Nothing in Albania even came close to the size and selection of that store, which we take for granted. And when you look at what other countries are going through, with frequent terror attacks, uncivil wars, people being executed for worshiping the wrong religion, it makes you realize that, although we are not perfect, we're still the best game around.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Hey Sharkman,

I had a very similar interaction. I worked with a woman named Rimma who came here from Russia. She told me that the first time she walked into an American supermarket she almost fainted because she had never seen so much food in one place before.

Bro. Larry,

There is so much more information available to the aspiring musician than there was when we were young. Much of it is free (YouTube) or very inexpensive as is the case with DVD courses that are available for under $40 or so.

As a matter of fact, I am thinking about buying a few courses from Truefire. I want to pursue Swing styles and there is a Frank Vignola (sp?) Chord Melody course that I'm interested in. I'm going to speak with them on the phone and get more details. :rawk:

Happy 4th of July to all forum members.

A few years ago a local radio show broadcast comments from newly naturalized citizens. One comment really struck me. A woman stated, "You people have no idea how lucky you are."

She was correct in her observation. We often forget how fortunate we are to be Americans.

So true! And thank you; Happy Fourth of July to you, too, and everyone!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I was in the 2nd row at the PBS taping of Frank Vignola with his wing man Vinny Raniolo and their guests Bucky Pizzarelli, Tommy Emmanuel and Joe Craven. I can't say enough about that show and about Frank's playing. The guy is fantastic. You have the spelling right and if you google on his name on YouTube, you can preview some of his teaching videos from a few years ago. It will give you an idea of his style in his teaching DVD's, which are very well done IMHO. I think you'll really benefit from his lessons. Have some fun with it Brother! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Happy 4th, and all you pickers stay safe out on the roads. I am boozing it at my mother in laws house with family and then driving home all boozed up (However I am staying inside our community where there is hardly anyone here in the summer months, and the speed limit is only 15MPH, so the dazed and confused ride home will be simple and relatively safe). (and 12 ounces of wine will not daze and confuse me all that much)....;~)

Stay safe out there if traveling on the public roads amigo's.

Hey Sharkman,

I had a very similar interaction. I worked with a woman named Rimma who came here from Russia. She told me that the first time she walked into an American supermarket she almost fainted because she had never seen so much food in one place before.

Kinda sounds like "Moscow On The Hudson". :cool:

Now that it's over, I hope y'all came back with all fingers attatched!

Sounds at first like I'm kidding, but actually...I heard on the radio on my way to spend the day with my wife at the hospital, that somewhere, I forget where the report said, that some 9 year old girl, while at a family barbeque celebrating the day, picked up some firework of some kind, not realizing it was lit, and the second she picked it up it went off and she lost her hand! :cry:

I feel there should be some special corner in HELL for the nitwit who threw such a powerful firework item into where people were gathered. :mad:

And a guy three doors down from me also lost three fingers mistakenly thinking HE was too smart to get hurt.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I did go to the fireworks last night at the stadium. We parked a quarter mile away in a restaurant parking lot and had a nice view of the fireworks. I thought the show was rather mundane after seeing these kinds of displays for the last 73 years. Well I can probably remember 63 of them anyways. I went armed, to watch over the wife and her sister for their safety. No problems except getting back home as every other family in town seemed to be near the stadium watching the display.

For years, ever since I can recall, Michigan had a prohibition on high-grade fireworks for public purchase. Michiganders had to travel down to Ohio or Indiana to get ahold of them. And then a few years ago, Michigan lifted the ban and folks 'round here seemed to go "blast drunk".

Now for a week to in some cases a MONTH before the fourth each neighborhood sounds like the NORMANDY INVASION! And the 11:00pm "curfew" goes blantantly ignored. And I'll probably be hearing them for the next week or two.

Yeah, I also remember going to either Ecorse or Wyandotte, neighboring cities located on the Detroit River, to take the kids to see the fireworks displays. And getting back home, in both cases less than a mile away, usually took, due to traffic tie-ups, about an hour or so.

Don't miss THAT at all.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived