Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Don't Think Twice, It's All Right guitar lesson

plans001234

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear friend

I have no idea what "seek blessings" means. I'm going to put that knowledge to share with you and definition "seek blessings" I am very pleased and I am happy to answer your questions.The word "blessing" **A second look:

1.Talented is highly talented in one subject. That is ingrained since childhood May be due to the intellectual aptitude, so that its full potential by learning easy.

2.Seek blessings is highly talented in one subject. Resulting from the commitment to learn about the practice.

They're all logged onto "social media"!

I hear ya in regards to your exception, but to reiterate, my concern was with the younger players relying TOO much on YouTube, Google and the like, and NEVER bothering to get ANY hands-on, one on one instruction that provides the feedback from an experienced instructor that would more succinctly gauge their progress that concerns me.

Whitefang

I hear ya, but to reiterate, most kids can't afford to take lessons unless mommy and daddy spring for them. It is the best way to go. I know my parents would never spring for me to take a guitar lesson. I could have afforded to but chose Karate Lessons, a car and insurance out of my pocket money I earned working at the car wash and the machine shop and at the warehouse instead. I was playing in my own band in High School and got plenty of hands on guitar experience. We had to [pick] out the songs from listening and copying our tunes from the records. I sure wish we had YouTube back in those days as these days I can learn a song in 1/10th of the time it used to take me to [pick] them out by ear LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

It's great to learn from teachers, but ALL of us teach us ourselves in many ways - trying different things, seeing what works and what doesn't.

Also, once you have learned the basic information from a teacher (in person, video or from a book) it's up to you to apply it to your OWN playing and concept - especially if you want to be a little bit CREATIVE...

Try this in regards to teachers and a "one-on-one" approach-----

I COULD have learned about photography just from books. But once I got into wedding photography, working for a long established specialized company, they insisted that we all go through classes they would hold in a room at a local Holiday Inn( the company was home-based in Chicago) taught by a long time staff photographer named Al Login. In contrast to what was commonly instructed in many books I've trudged through, I learned that you DON'T need to shell out $5.00 for a grey card to take a meter reading for exposure. as light meters, either hand-held or through the lens see EVERYTHING as grey, point the meter or lens down to the GRASS that's in the same light as your subject. OR get up close to the subject's FACE in that light to get your reading.

Books also suggested buying all sorts of often costly accessories with which to diffuse the light from your flash. Al suggested attatching a business card or the like to your flash unit with a rubber band and giving the card a 45 degree bend towards the lens of the flash. or covering the flash lens with a thin piece of paper.

A music teacher as well might be able to make some suggestions in achieving your goals that YOU might not be able to think of. ;) REGARDLESS of how creative you THINK you are.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I've been looking at the sample lessons on Truefire.com and even tho they are right handed I think I can use them. It's a mirror image for me and I felt comfortable following the fingering. I'll probably try one lesson and see how it works, it's only $19. It looks like a fantastic resource.

It's great to learn from teachers, but ALL of us teach us ourselves in many ways - trying different things, seeing what works and what doesn't.

Also, once you have learned the basic information from a teacher (in person, video or from a book) it's up to you to apply it to your OWN playing and concept - especially if you want to be a little bit CREATIVE...

+1 Eric, I have said it many times in teaching guitar, martial arts, soccer, etc., to others. "You are your greatest teacher." With my limited ability, I can only point to the way. You have to make yourself a better player. You have to take the material no matter where it comes from (i.e. me, other players, teachers, books, DVD's, etc.) and make it yours. It has to become part of your memory, be it brain or muscle in order for you to call upon it...as Bruce Lee said in self defense, "IT" happens, meaning you don't have to think about it. Practice, practice, practice, and study it...you'll get where you want to be, if you truly desire it. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Don't mean to "piss in your cornflakes", but it might be a good idea(these days, and in referrence to your "unless mommy and daddy pay for them" bit, to weigh the difference in price between the lessons, and the monthly text and data charges on their phones that mommy and daddy are probably paying for in foolishly thinking it'll help preserve "sonny's" self esteem. And who knows? Maybe mommy and daddy will spring for BOTH. ;)

But these days, it isn't like when most of us were coming up, raised by "depression era" saw music lessons as a waste of time and money, and in no way prepared their kids for a "real job". :D

Recall ROBIN WILLIAM'S remark during his Oscar acceptance speech---"I'd like to dedicate this award to my DAD, who always insisted I get a "REAL JOB", like WELDING!" :D

Whitefang

@ Fang, I don't know when you left the nest but I was out on my own at the age of 19. Kids now days are living at home into their 30's so +1 Mommy and Daddy will have to pay for the guitar lessons and the text and data charges, along with all their other bills. I think kids should seek a real job like "welding" or take a tech school course in the trades like Heating and Air Conditioning, electrician, mechanic, solar energy panel installer, plumbing, etc., as opposed to endless college courses in majors that no one will hire them for. College is a great way to go if you can afford it, but you will need a job at diploma time. I had a desk job for 20 years and my Dad says it's not really a working job...if you're not cutting firewood and sweating your ass off, you're not working LOL! :crazy:

In my country rock days my axe was my guitar LOL! I would play gigs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, drink beer and have a great time. Then I would tell my firewood cutter to "put the cord(s) right over here" using the money I had made...

Take care, Larryz

But these days, it isn't like when most of us were coming up, raised by "depression era" saw music lessons as a waste of time and money, and in no way prepared their kids for a "real job". :D

Whitefang

Fortunately my Depression era parents saw music as an important part of growing up into well rounded educated adults, so there was never any question that my siblings & I would start on piano lessons, & eventually pick a band instrument & play with the school orchestra. And I thank them continually for pushing us to incorporate music into our lives, either as a profession in my case, or hobby in the case of my sibs. Best education ever, I think, is learning, not only how to play music, but how to play music with others.

Scott Fraser

The most I can say on that facet is my parents liked music, but largely as an entertainment and a distraction from the day-to-day grind. So they had no objection to my LISTENING to music, and making it an integral part of my "free time" interest, but still figured those who succeeded in playing music, or any OTHER form of "the arts", like acting or writing, must have come from some other planet or something. "Real" people didn't waste time with any of that stuff. ;)

Scott's last sentence up there is probably the most important factor in the need for music courses in public schools. Not ONLY playing music with other people, but in also learning how to exist "in concert" with other people and the world around you. Plus, learning to appreciate other varied forms of music plays a role in also learning to appreciate the tenets of different cultures and the fact that nobody or anything is always "better" than anyone or anything else.

Whitefang

I do have to give my Mom and Dad credit for buying me a clarinet. I played it in the school band(s) from 4th grade through the 8th grade. Music lessons were free if you played in a school band or orchestra and my parents took advantage of it. I passed the clarinet down to my younger sister. I also played in the drum corps and marched in two different bands. Our school band always came in 1st place in grade school band competitions mainly due to our music teacher Mr. Tonini. He was a WWII navy veteran with stories that included showing us his scars from shrapnel in his leg. I still have memories of this great man and teacher and a great intro for me into the world of music...playing the clarinet is why I only learned to read the treble clef LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I do have to give my Mom and Dad credit for buying me a clarinet. I played it in the school band(s) from 4th grade through the 8th grade. Music lessons were free if you played in a school band or orchestra and my parents took advantage of it. I passed the clarinet down to my younger sister. I also played in the drum corps and marched in two different bands. Our school band always came in 1st place in grade school band competitions mainly due to our music teacher Mr. Tonini. He was a WWII navy veteran with stories that included showing us his scars from shrapnel in his leg. I still have memories of this great man and teacher and a great intro for me into the world of music...playing the clarinet is why I only learned to read the treble clef LOL! :cool:

+1!. Clarinet for me too, from about 2nd grade until junior high. Then the Beatles arrived in my life & a guitar was needed.

Same with treble clef. To this day I have to do a mental conversion to read bass clef, & even after spending a quarter century working with a string quartet I still can't read alto (viola) clef.

Scott Fraser

Hello!

I thank friends who comment on various aspects. A knowledgeable and genuinely helpful. Although the beginning of the post is not good.

:) At least I know the other side is a professional musician who do not make it a career. But as the occupation to fulfill his dream. The money will come from a main earners to own the music and the musicians. Was as a professional musician one side, and it takes more energy to make it earners continue. So it means It's a sweet appeal and reach for some people.

@ Scott, yeah, yeah, yeah, +1,000 The Beatles stole my heart away from the clarinet and the piano LOL! And I headed full steam into the guitar too LOL! (but they were right behind Elvis and Scotty!) Right about the time the Beatles were hitting our shores, I started playing Stranger On The Shore in 1961 by Acker Bilk by ear on the clarinet as they were constantly playing it on the AM radio. My Mom liked it so well, she made me play it for everyone that came by LOL! Another tune I picked out by ear on our living room upright piano, in the same time frame, in 1962 was Alley Cat by Bent Fabric...now this is where the story gets thicker...

My mom did spring for piano lessons but they were not for me they were for her! (This is where the Bass clef became confusing for me)...So, she would take me with her and I would play chess with the Piano teacher's son on the weekends while she took the piano lessons. Mom was trying her best to learn Fur Elise which was/is a popular 1st classic piano teacher's tune to teach students with. While Mom was at work during the week I would secretly try and pick the tune out by ear. One night the folks had their musical friends over and they wanted me to play my version of Alley Cat on the piano, and so I did. There were some great comments on this talented young man playing by ear and then I went into Fur Elise, needless to say Mom's jaw dropped and she has never let me hear the end of that one...

I couldn't hit all those high notes on Stranger On The Shore as well as the original, but I was killer in the lower register LOL! I think it's why I still tackle songs by ear and like to come up with my own arrangements to this day!

@ Plans, I hope this ties in with the OP and your comments just a little!

:2thu:

Take care, Larryz

:):):)

Not only did I like(and still do) those two tunes, I LOVED those NAMES!

Acker Bilk----Bent Fabric---

Imagine going through life with either one of those names!

Not too long ago though, "classic" movie channel TCM played some English flick in which Acker Bilk and his band appeared, and he was billed among the more established British actors in the cast!

Whitefang

:D

As the word "bilk" is basically defined as "to cheat; defraud", I always thought they came up with the name "Bilko" as a play on that and to define the character's nature.

I wonder if Acker ever got ribbed about his name because of that! :D

Whitefang

^It may very well be the reason they picked Sgt. Bilko's name, I had never thought about it until now! All Army Sergeants are well versed in the art of the deal, when it comes to supply allocations LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Recently I read the background, on some very obscure website, about the choice of the character's name. It had something to do with a personal acquaintance of one of the writers or the producer, IIRC. So the choice was intentional, but based on an actual person, known to somebody behind the scenes.
Scott Fraser

Could be-----

Maybe "Bilk-o" was someone's nickname, as some get called "Lame-o" or "Fatso".

Look at the MIDNIGHT COWBOY character, known as "Ratso" Rizzo, probably due to his character and the way he lived. :)

Whitefang

Thanks a lot!!

If my comments are helpful for discussion. I appreciate very much that I was given the knowledge and perspective that is more diverse as well.

:idea:

@ Plans, We do segue into off topic comments from time to time, but we usually come back on topic eventually LOL! Your comments are a little different/hard for me to understand, probably due to a language translation. But, your comments are always appreciated. I'm guessing English is not your first language? (not that I am any better at it these days!)... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

That's right,I'm not communicated English language as the primary language.

But I try to communicate to friends in the forum in which I can understand. And I think that will improve my English from how to use English of friends in this forum.

I replied to your comment.Do you understand me? What should I edit a word or sentence?

:idea:

I'd be dubious about your English improving by reading a lot of stuff in HERE, but you're looking for ways to help improve your guitar playing, and NOW you've seemed to come to the right place! :)

Off the rails again----

My wife, although born in Texas, spent the first five years of her life speaking Spanish. By the 2nd grade in elementary school, she spoke it well enough to get by in non Spanish speaking situations, but still wanted to speak it better. She told me a girl in her class told her if she read more books, it would help improve her English. So, my wife went to her school's small library to pick one out, and went home with a book by DR. SUESS! :D

Cracks me up everytime I think of it! :D

Whitefang

My wife, although born in Texas, spent the first five years of her life speaking Spanish. By the 2nd grade in elementary school, she spoke it well enough to get by in non Spanish speaking situations, but still wanted to speak it better. She told me a girl in her class told her if she read more books, it would help improve her English. So, my wife went to her school's small library to pick one out, and went home with a book by DR. SUESS! :D

Cracks me up everytime I think of it! :D

Whitefang

@Whitefang - I could see her picking up On Beyond Zebra by accident, and giving up on English altogether.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

She couln't remember which Suess book it was, but also added that she remembered her teacher telling the class that if they didn't know what a word meant to look it up in the dictionary.

She tried that with the Suess book, but since many of his books have words in them that actually DON'T EXIST, she was STILL stumped! :D

Anyway.....she speaks English so well now( and for the last 60+ years) that you'd never know she EVER knew how to speak Spanish. In fact, she used her Spanish so little over all that time that she's forgotten much of it. At least the SPEAKING part. She still understands it. One of the funniest things I've seen was a conversation she had with an old Aunt of hers at a funeral we were at once....

The Aunt understood English but didn't speak it. My wife was the opposite. My wife would say something to her in

English and the Aunt would answer in Spanish. It went back and forth like that for 15 minutes. I was amused by it all, but THEY were nonplussed.

My wife's name is ALICIA (she and I both pronounce it "Ah-LEE-see-ah", and NOT the common "Ah-LEE-sha"). It's Germanic and not Spanish in origin, but it's used a lot in Latino culture, so she wanted to "Americanize" it and started calling herself "Alice". For most of her life her sisters and others who knew her for a long time STILL call he Alice, but I refuse to. But about 25 years ago, a grandniece she doted on(and still does) couldn't wrap her mouth around ALICIA, and at age two took to calling her "La-La", and it caught on with ALL the grand nephews and nieces over the years. To THEM, she's "Aunt La-La." Now, EVERYbody in the family practically calls her LA-LA. Even all of her sisters! :D

Whitefang

HI!

Let me share a little:I think that some countries that do not use English as their first language. Although we had learned English Basic Grade 1 or 2 or 3 of school Or even from a self-taught from books that teach English are widely sold. If the country does not have English as their primary language. It is difficult to speak or write. However, speaking English Organs will not order such a pronounced short-term focus on the words, He will pronounce the English language in his local. As a result, it is difficult to hear and understand.For myself, it was like that. Okay, If I had listened to speak English as American form, I can understand the key issues. If an English speaker as the local language of that country. I can not understand.

And another problem is that some people are able to speak some English, because his career to speak English, but they have problems in English writing. In turn, those who study English in the classroom can understand English. He scored well on the test sheet.Every time after school and go home.He will speak the local language of their own.

:)

Anyway.....she speaks English so well now( and for the last 60+ years) that you'd never know she EVER knew how to speak Spanish. In fact, she used her Spanish so little over all that time that she's forgotten much of it. At least the SPEAKING part. She still understands it. One of the funniest things I've seen was a conversation she had with an old Aunt of hers at a funeral we were at once....

The Aunt understood English but didn't speak it. My wife was the opposite. My wife would say something to her in

English and the Aunt would answer in Spanish. It went back and forth like that for 15 minutes. I was amused by it all, but THEY were nonplussed.

My wife's name is ALICIA (she and I both pronounce it "Ah-LEE-see-ah", and NOT the common "Ah-LEE-sha"). It's Germanic and not Spanish in origin, but it's used a lot in Latino culture, so she wanted to "Americanize" it and started calling herself "Alice". For most of her life her sisters and others who knew her for a long time STILL call he Alice, but I refuse to. But about 25 years ago, a grandniece she doted on(and still does) couldn't wrap her mouth around ALICIA, and at age two took to calling her "La-La", and it caught on with ALL the grand nephews and nieces over the years. To THEM, she's "Aunt La-La." Now, EVERYbody in the family practically calls her LA-LA. Even all of her sisters! :D

Whitefang

Same with my mother in law. Grew up in a Mexican family in Brownsville TX & didn't learn English until she hit elementary school, at a time when kids were punished for speaking Spanish. Now in her 80s she's forgotten much of her native language & speaks Spanish like a gringo. But her family still converses in Spanish.

And her sister, Adrianna, is known as Aunt Nana, precisely because that's what the kids could pronounce.

Scott Fraser

Archived