Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Don't Think Twice, It's All Right guitar lesson

plans001234

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Dylan freak since '64, I've been playing this song for many a year. I wonder if young guitar players today find it amazing that my generation somehow managed to learn any songs or techniques by just listening closely to the records and NO help from YouTube!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Actually, I would not classify your posts as lessons since there is not the slightest hint of instruction contained in them. I would classify them as performances and as such should be posted under the Post Your Music Here sub-forum.
If you play cool, you are cool.

I agree in this respect+++In the past, I used to listen to the replay of many of the Compact Cassette and guitarist for as much as possible. Later, those who like music will seriously study music theory. The easier it was to play a few sheets of paper note is only one style on one song only, Acquisition of sheets of paper versions more difficult. With the current information technology or modern communications. Giving young people easier access. Visual voice And a variety of music one song in different versions.

+ For example Youtube media, Young people can use the channels open to learn to play the guitar comfortably. so I think if those releases are intended for educational and non-commercial. Young people would benefit from such alternative channels. This will result in significant value to the music industry.

+1 Brother Fred, I too believe that this type of OP thread should be posted in the Post Your Music Here thread. This is so our Guitar forum thread doesn't get flooded with music postings from all over the world...
Take care, Larryz

@ Plans, Hopefully you'll get some positive feedback if you post this video and the previous one you posted on "I Will" by the Beatles, if you post them in the Post Your Music Here thread. I know there are people here that will love to give you comments on your playing as it is done very well...they are both great songs and there are many lessons on YouTube on how to play them. :cool:

@ Fang, We are both in the same generation boat having to copy our tunes from the records! I even wore holes in some of mine trying to repeat certain parts of a song without scratching them all up LOL! I sure wish we had YouTube when I was a kid! It is a great resource IMHO.

Take care, Larryz

@Larry:

There's a hilarious episode of the TV show "The Middle" where the youngest kid, Brick, is assigned the job of cleaning the bathroom, for help in how to do this, he relies on a YouTube presentation purporting to give him instructions as to the proper methods. He winds up at one point knocking off all the tiles from the wall of the bathtub enclosure. :D

Make of that what you wish.

I'm supposing our friend Plans was thinking that if you watch a video of what his HAND and FINGERS are doing, you might pick up on what's going on and learn from there. Which to me is as useful as watching a film of Horowitz's hands in order to learn to play piano, but there may be someone who can do that.

Whitefang

+1 I'm with you Fred! I can't think of a more interesting and fun site to visit. If you can think of it, it will most likely be on YouTube...

@ Fang, You may be able to find that episode on YouTube LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Thanks to my friends for advice.Let me opinion on the other side.I agree that most people would think so watch youtube, But there are some people interested in the same goal of learning and want to share and learn with me, which he watched from youtube video and audio in the songs as they play. He has questions?

For example, My experience has been .Hypothesis that music one song playing finger-style guitar version of the same notes and the same. And I customize notes and play. I played bass that did not start with the root of the chord.

He asked me to play bass do not match cords in the root or first stroke. I replied, Music, it is not always a stereotype. Music is an art without precedent. Have a listen to interesting creative decision is up to.

I shared with him and learn about "Cli che", imaginary chord consisting of C Cmaj7 C7 C6 Bb F C is playing bass clef CCCC Bb F are common to them. Play me a better C B Bb A Bb FC reduced by half notes. This is called Cli che and if cord A Amaj7 A7 D Some songs play bass notes to the other yet.

I think the one thing that can benefit from the knowledge on youtube. The purpose is to study and exchange does not aim Commercial real. The key is to make new friends on this planet.

Thanks to my friends for advice.Let me opinion on the other side.I agree that most people would think so watch youtube, But there are some people interested in the same goal of learning and want to share and learn with me, which he watched from youtube video and audio in the songs as they play. He has questions?

For example, My experience has been .Hypothesis that music one song playing finger-style guitar version of the same notes and the same. And I customize notes and play. I played bass that did not start with the root of the chord.

He asked me to play bass do not match cords in the root or first stroke. I replied, Music, it is not always a stereotype. Music is an art without precedent. Have a listen to interesting creative decision is up to.

I shared with him and learn about "Cli che", imaginary chord consisting of C Cmaj7 C7 C6 Bb F C is playing bass clef CCCC Bb F are common to them. Play me a better C B Bb A Bb FC reduced by half notes. This is called Cli che and if cord A Amaj7 A7 D Some songs play bass notes to the other yet.

I think the one thing that can benefit from the knowledge on youtube. The purpose is to study and exchange does not aim Commercial real. The key is to make new friends on this planet.

Hi Plans, I wondered which "key" you were in LOL! and now I know it's the key of good friends!

I think if you had posted this information and then supplied the YouTube video, you would have let us know what it is you wanted to discuss. I don't consider the two songs (i.e. this one and the I Will by the Beatles, previous one) you posted as "guitar lessons." I think they are great examples or samples of your playing, equipment, arrangements, etc. and we are all very happy to have pictures, videos, etc., to share with all of the forum and be able to discuss them with you. I would love to see others do the same.

We get a lot of one hit wonders who come on just to post their music and it would fill up this part of the forum if they all were not moved to the post your music here part of the forum. If you look at that forum thread, you'll see that the music gets out there to 20,934,995 viewers and only gets 303 replies. That would probably tell you something about the issue and reason we get a lot of one time posters, spammers, etc. I'm glad you are sharing your ideas and videos and sticking around. +1 there are a lot of good reasons to use YouTube and you are hitting on one! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

I used YouTube alot while in the US. They have a lot of lessons for left handers. I was self taught because I couldn't find anyone to teach me,everyone wanted to turn me around and I fought the system. Unfotunatly I no longer have access to YouTube, its banned, and I miss it.

^That's too bad JuJu as YouTube is a great source for guitar tips and lessons. There are a lot of good lessons on DVD that you can probably buy over there or purchase via mail order by many of the same people that post the lessons on YouTube...

Take care, Larryz

HI! Larryz

First,. Thank you to understand my intentions.

I would like to share more,in response to a friend's recent posts.I think people's activities on youtube If the same target, it will be several benefits. I tried to emphasize that media youtube video and audio, which can be seen as friends we made in the presence of each other. What benefit as:

1.Make friends, expand more broadly, with different views, which can further develop our ideas.

2.Proverbs says that

"Birds without wings and feathers"

"If we have no friends"

"We will not be able to rise to the top spot"

Wings and Feathers = The implication is that there must be friend

3.The activities are developed by transferring knowledge in the same subject. for example, in my previous post.

4.Although not all the details you need. What has been the development of ideas and imagination to guide practice.

"I think all of these things from the media. We have a good selection of valuable and helpful to us.

Finally, I have to apologize to members which cause the clip I posted.So I want clips to a crisis. Change is the opportunity to comment on the variety. :blush:

While I'll concede that YouTube might be a good source for guitar tips and lessons, I'll stress it's not the ONLY source, and that in many cases, well, there's a short poem my grandmother used to like to caution us with---

"Free advice?

It's worth the price!"

Unless of course, you know well who's giving said advice, what their qualifications are, and realize there are "more ways to skin a cat".

I too, am "self taught", and for quite some time have come to realize that it's close to what they say about someone who goes to court representing themselves. To paraphrase....

"He that attempts to teach himself has a fool for a student. " :D

Whitefang

@ Plans, you'll find some very nice wings and feathers here on the forum that you can share your knowledge with. :cool:

@ Fang, I find YouTube to be a great tool. I think everyone knows it's not the "ONLY" source out there when it comes to guitar tips and lessons. It's not free as it wastes my time when I have to sit through the commercials. I would pay $5 bucks a month to have commercial free access. We all attack trying to learn the guitar differently. There is no substitute for a good teacher but as with attorneys, not all of us fools can afford them LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Not all of us have the advantages of a teacher who is willing to teach you left handed. I opted to teach myself rather than bow to tradition and I feel I'm better for it. Everyone doesn't have the options that you have in the USA.

I was going to post a rather nasty comment to the fool reference, but decided not to. Not all of us have the advantages of a teacher who is willing to teach you left handed. I opted to teach myself rather than bow to tradition and I feel I'm better for it. Everyone doesn't have the options that you have in the USA.

You are to be commended for your persistence and perseverance, if not for your petulance.

I was going to post a rather nasty comment to the fool reference, but decided not to. Not all of us have the advantages of a teacher who is willing to teach you left handed. I opted to teach myself rather than bow to tradition and I feel I'm better for it. Everyone doesn't have the options that you have in the USA.

You are to be commended for your persistence and perseverance, if not for your petulance.

Fred C, point taken, I edited my post. I'm still a work in progress, no disrespect intended.

I love ya both, and everyone else here. :D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I strongly agree with and respect the opinions of friends,and I love everyone on this forum as well.Although it is considered a critically that there is a difference of opinion, which is what At least it is useful to contact other members and moderators of this forum.

I think it is the objective of the forum, except in regards to the topic of my post is not exactly a topic.But what of the crash, it was a good thing. The idea is an interesting fellow such as :

Benefits of Using Social Media Network./Questions or comments left-handed guitar player. :puff: If possible, the forum has a specific topic for social play guitar left-handed comment. And can display video clips It is different from the forum's more, I've seen very little. It will contribute to the forum, a popular widespread increase.

Love everybody sincerely!!!

"He that attempts to teach himself has a fool for a student. " :D

Whitefang

Or worse yet, a fool for a teacher.

:laugh:

Good one. And probably true in my case! :cool:

@Larry: Sure, I'm certain most members here KNOW that YouTube isn't the only source. Most members here seem to have been at it LONG before the iNet and YouTube ever existed. But I'm thinking of much younger players who grew up(or are growing up) in an environment of constant and persistent online sourcing that might have the perception that EVERYTHING can be fully learned online somewhere. You know....those "nosedivers" that pass up looking at a sunset because they're too busy looking at some 3"X2" image of one on their phones. :mad:

Whitefang

I agree with you Fang with one exception. It's not just the younger players that are the "nose divers." There are both young and older adults doing it. Google, Wikipedia and YouTube are a couple of sources I like to rely on as they are readily available when researching a variety of topics (to include my musical interests). I've been having problems with the AC on my truck these last two weeks and I learned a couple of tricks on YouTube that really helped me out yesterday. It's not fixed yet and I'll have to take it in, but at least I'm getting a little more cold air on a hot day LOL!

+1 on people get so involved with their smart phones that they forget to stop and smell the roses. They can't do without their phones for more than a minute or two! When I see a beautiful sunset or special view while I'm outside, I always whisper a little thank you prayer to the Creator and to Mother Earth... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Yeah, there are always exceptions to every situation. But you might recall my mentioning at some point that every time one particular nephew of mine throws a backyard barbeque/get together, there's one table full of guys just sitting there looking like their heads are bowed down in prayer, but they're all just scoping out crap on their phones, and not talking amongst themselves. And the dumb thing(to me) about it is....

They're all logged onto "social media"!

I hear ya in regards to your exception, but to reiterate, my concern was with the younger players relying TOO much on YouTube, Google and the like, and NEVER bothering to get ANY hands-on, one on one instruction that provides the feedback from an experienced instructor that would more succinctly gauge their progress that concerns me.

Whitefang

Good news for all of us self taught players. the list of self taught players is long and very impressive. Just to name a few, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King and Prince. I doubt very much any of us reach that status, but at least we can dream.

I guess I'm the exception for a 20 something, I have no social media presence and half the time when I go out I forget to take my phone with me, and I don't miss it.

I have had a total of about 7 years of formal one-on-one instruction with 4 excellent teachers and through their untiring efforts I have acquired some level of expertise/ability. In addition, all 4 of my teachers were extremely demanding and intolerant of anything less than my best efforts. They taught me technique, theory, and an unending assortment of "tips and tricks", all of which contributed to my musical skillset.

Due to the excellent formal instruction I received, I am able to learn through self study because I've already learned the requisite technique and theory.

As I mentioned earlier, I am considering taking a few Jazz oriented courses on Truefire.com. It's inexpensive ($19.95/month or $199/year) and the instructors are all excellent. Hell, I paid $50/hour for lessons with my last teacher.

The study of Jazz Guitar is a lifelong pursuit and I plan to continue learning for the remainder of my playing career.

AFTERTHOUGHT: With regard to my smartphone, I like having what is essentially a full-featured computer in my shirt pocket. I like having the ability to access an endless stream of information via the Internet. My phone has literally transformed my life, making it more interesting, informative and FUN!!! LOOK MA, NO WIRES!!!

First, let me say to you that I was not good English language skills. And thanks for the comments on this matter which of the above are all correct. And a great love of music and seek knowledge for us and was forced to learn. From basic to advanced, for example, String Instruments like the guitar had to start from the basics to learn guitar. Basic Music Theory, Ear Training and Music reading the Rhythm. Solo .Hamony Improvisation Basic composition, etc., or if the university would have to pass the exam to meet international standards.

But one thing I like you said and that is what is important. The willingness and experience both as a solo performer (Soloist) and members of the band (Ensemble Member) or Bard (Music Composer) and are developed to learn in Style Course only a difference and develop from the basic original music. in the cord form, Scale, Note Modes or so. So I have an idea for a great musical career.

The final opinion Who graduated in music or even music lessons with those two things are called "Talent and seek blessings" Seem to have the same goal, but it is different. But all in all, music is a science and an art. Based on the decision of us to be creative and flexible to adapt to keep pace with social change.For the use of technology Social media network link It depends on the goals and objectives of their own, I do not allow comments.

For the cost, I think, for knowledge exchange for the knowledge that I was okay. Then what should be done is to transfer the knowledge gained or recommend it to others interested in the subject, we can help him to be useful. (Compared to when we saw the pool was not going to drown. We will not rest, as they're trying to find ways to help our help.) But if it is in the form of management based on the business objectives of each party.

Archived