Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage 2: USB midi question

stoken6

Does anyone know if the NS2 is MIDI class compliant?

My situation is that I'm using the NS2 as an upper-tier board over a weighted-88 controller. That means the MIDI in on the NS2 is occupied. I'd like to use Set List Maker to send program changes to the Nord - could I use the NS2's USB MIDI for this purpose?

I think it will work if the NS2 is MIDI class compliant, but I rather suspect it isn't. Why else would Nord supply a bespoke MIDI driver ?

Cheers, Mike.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
daisy chain them. Setlist maker device to the 88, 88 to the Nord.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Along a similar topic...

Has anyone tried using it to control another keyboard via usb midi? For example the kronos will recognize class compliant controllers. Has anyone tried to control a kronos from the nord, using the usb interface?

thanks

daisy chain them. Setlist maker device to the 88, 88 to the Nord.

I don't think this will work. The SLM program changes will appear on the 88's MIDI THRU, while my playing on the 88 will appear on MIDI OUT. I'll need a merge box, which I'd like to try and avoid.

Cheers, Mike.

what 88 controller are you using? Does it have patch change capability?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• 3 months later...

Appropriately enough given the time of year, this is a Zombie Thread Alert.

I took the plunge and bought a Yamaha iUX-1 (USB midi-to-30-pin interface), a 30-pin adapter (legit Apple model), and Set List Maker app. I'm happy to report that it plays nicely with my NS2.

This is a big deal to me because, as posted above, my NS2's 5-pin MIDI IN is connected to my lower-tier controller. Using USB MIDI IN allows SLM to send Program Changes to the Nord while the lower tier is connected.

My first gig with this setup is tonight. I'm relaxed about it, but very pleased to have found this solution.

Cheers, Mike.

Mike,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to report back on one of your old threads.

It's easy to forget about the threads and move on once you have things working, but checking back and reporting on your progress will definitely prove helpful to lots of others who stumble upon it through Google and the like.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Gig report: it worked at my gig last week. I've found one gotcha with the Nord: if you make a change to a program using the front panel, the Nord doesn't accept program changes from Set List Maker. So I'd made it to the end of the set, probably adjusted some drawbuttons or something, and no matter how much I jabbed at the screen for our final number, I got no Uptown Funk at all.

Now I need to fabricate some kind of stand, attached off the Nord, that will support my iPhone centrally. At the moment I'm laying it over the ends of the front panel, and it's difficult to see. Ideas welcome...

Cheers, Mike.

Unfortunately mine is the 73 waterfall, which doesn't have the mounting holes for a music stand. I'm going to try and rig up a mic boom from my keyboard stand, and get a mic adapter for the phone.

Cheers, Mike.

What kind of keyboard stand do you use? I have really enjoyed the K&M clips that clamp onto round tubing (e.g. model 19727 for iPad Air 2), in conjunction with the On Stage KS7150. Clamps nicely onto the leg. I usually set up facing across the stage, so I just put it on the upstage side and it's mostly invisible from the audience. In fact, I'm having a hard time finding a picture of my rig that it's even visible in, which is kind of the point.

Edit: you can just barely make out the clip and a corner of the iPad in this shot, next to my left knee. Perfectly placed to casually glance down and do what I need to do.

http://slorg.org/kc/iPadBarely.jpg

X-stand with just the uprights of a second tier (not the horizontal arms). I've also got a K&M 240/5 (aka 24050) extension arm, which I'll try to bring in to use with this rig. I think I'll need a mic-to-tripod adapter and a tripod-based phone mount.

Cheers, Mike.

Archived