Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PX 5 / PC 361 Midi Setup

raffkey

Hey guys,

I'd like to play a piano program from my Kurzweil PC361 with my Casio PX-5 keyboard. I would like to be able to change programs on the 361 but always have the piano available (sending) to the PX-5.

I can figure out simple midi connections and setups, but this is a little over my head. Anyone have experience with this, or know what commands etc. I need to set?

Thank you in advance!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt you'd be using more than MIDI Channels 1-8 on the PC3, so why not trigger the piano from MIDI channel 16 or other unused channel.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I would like to be able to change programs on the 361 but always have the piano available (sending) to the PX-5.

Just to clear that up conceptually, the PC361 is not "sending" piano to the PX5S in this scenario. You want to play (trigger) the PC361's piano sound from the PX5S, which means the PX5S is sending (MIDI) to the PC361. The PC361 is not sending anything to the PX5S in this case.

Mike's suggestion of setting the PX5S to transmit on channel 16 (or any channel not used for anything else on either keyboard) and likewise setting the PC361 to have the piano sound you want assigned to that same channel should work, as long as you only want to be able to change (as you said) programs on the 361, since changing programs should only affect what you're playing from the 361's own keyboard and not what is being triggered over MIDI. This could get more complicated, though, if in addition to Programs, you also want the ability to change Setups on the 361 (i.e. for splits/layers of multiple Programs), since a Setup can also include assignment of different Kurz sounds to different channels. You will probably need to make sure that same MIDI assignment (i.e. the Casio-triggered Kurz piano sound on channel 16 or whatever) is included in every Setup that you might want to switch to (unless the Kurz has some function that leaves a MIDI channel sound assignment in place when changing setups unless the setups specifically includes some other assignment for that channel, which would be a cool feature, but I don't remember any keyboard having that that I've noticed).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Excellent post Scott. One thing though, as raffkey said:

I would like to be able to change programs on the 361 but always have the piano available (sending) to the PX-5.

I interpret this as he wants to have the piano sounds available simultaneously with the other sounds, meaning your suggestion with setups with a dedicated channel for the piano in every setup is the only way to go.

Rudy

setups with a dedicated channel for the piano in every setup.

Most of my rigs have been 2-board, with one just as a controller. I've taken this approach every time. It works with Ensoniq, Alesis, Nord - and Kurz.

Cheers, Mike.

I think if he is controlling the PC361 from the PX-5S it will work. If I recall correctly the PC361 does use a 16 channel setup all the time. So if he simply doesn't use channel 16 on the PC361, it is free to be used by the PX-5S and I believe it will stay on piano if set there. Of course all he has to do is send a bank select/program change from the PX-5s to the PC361 to dial up a the piano sound.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Hey all, thanks for the replies.

Yes, I want to be able to continuously have a piano program from the PC361 to be able to be played on the PX5, and then be able to switch programs on the PC361.

Examples would be a KB3 organ on the PC361/a Kurz piano triggered by the PX5: a guitar program on the PC361/ a Kurz piano triggered by the PX5, etc. etc.

I understand I will have to create set-ups that always have a piano in them, set on channel 16, and then the PX set to 16..I get it now, I think..

Sorry for the wrong wording, AnotherScott..I guess the word 'send' came into mind when thinking of midi, so I went with that instead of making it a little clearer..Hadn't had my morning coffee yet..

I'm just experimenting with the PC361. Wanted to hear their piano programs across the 88 keys of the PX5..Don't know if I'll continue with this set up, but wanted to give it a try.. :)

If you are using a KB3 organ w/ a double leslie on the PC3 and also want the piano available you will most likely lose the effects on the piano because the double leslie will use 14 of the 16 effect units and most pianos use about 4 effects units. The PC3 will be unable to allocate the effects to the piano sound.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 1 month later...

Update:

Created some setups on the 361 containing some favorite programs (sounds, patches, whatever)coupled with the studio grand which is only 'played' (triggered) from the PX5.

It works great!

I love the PX5 for everything except the pianos. Some notes (keys) seemed to sound louder when struck, and even seemed to have different tone from neighboring keys. Could have been my technique or lack of.

The PX5 is a great board, very easy to program, and has great voices, but but now in tandem with the 361, my setup is complete.

Thanks again guys with your help on this.

Archived