Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

High Profile Mistake?

Bill Spencer

I'm checking out this cool James Taylor live version of "Still Crazy After All These Years":

https://youtu.be/LY79bVIhUqQ

At the beginning of Verse 2, which starts @ 1:05, there's an extra beat (in the third bar, the way I hear it)- gotta be a mistake, but the band, being total pros, make it sound seamless.

My guess is that the change on beat 3 of the first bar (which is in the original PS recording) throws off JT, as he starts the second phrase late. Don't think they would add that beat on purpose to the arrangement...

What do you guys think?

Spence

Bill it is really kind of awkward performance even with the mistake. I just watched this. You would think this song would be good for James Taylor but he seems uncomfortable with it or something.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You would think this song would be good for James Taylor but he seems uncomfortable with it or something.

Yeah, I felt the same way. Somehow, he's a little too much of a straight-arrow guy to be believable singing those lyrics.

Of course, that show was one of those all-star goat rodeo tribute things, where all the performers had to cover a Paul Simon song. JT had probably sung it only once before, at the run-through. That might have been a factor, as well.

Could be but I didn't think it would be that awkward. It seems there are a lot of artists like that, sometimes that can't cross genres or entrenched in different styles.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

SCAATY is one of those anomalies in pop music that has a sophisticated arrangement that was surprisingly accepted by the general public.

It has a squirelliness that is completely unpredictable, even right in the middle of the saxophone solo!

It's one of those songs that is next to impossible to pull off without a serious rehearsal because of the stops and accents. Unless everyone is reading perfectly from a chart (which is what they apparently tried to do unsuccessfully).

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Could be but I didn't think it would be that awkward. It seems there are a lot of artists like that, sometimes that can't cross genres or entrenched in different styles.

Ain't that the truth! I dug out a 2006 CD, Tony Bennett's 'Duets' to see if I like it any better than I did when I bought it (I don't), and some of these singers are totally lost trying to sing standards. James Taylor, in particular, is awful singing 'Put On A Happy Face', as are Bono, Sting on their songs. A few are naturals, though: Billy Joel, k.d. lang, Elvis Costello, Dixie Chicks, and even McCartney.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Archived