Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Summer NAMM 2016 Reports

Geoff Grace

Maybe it was just me, but when I tried the single tier XK-5 that was hooked up to headphones, I thought the overall volume was too low. I checked to see if it was turned all the way up, and it was. No expression pedal hooked up, so that should mean that it was at full tilt. It was also a bit shrill. I'm thinking that was either the headphones that were used, or they are still working on the headphones output. The double tier XK-5 that was hooked up to the Leslie did not sound shrill at all!

The new Leslie looked and sounded really nice, and the price point is pretty sweet. I wounder what Acousticsamples B-5 would sound like thru it. Hmm...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the time spread between the contacts can be adjusted. (The XK-5 was a little more dramatic than my C3. I'd dial the effect back just a bit.)

I'm glad you mentioned that. My reaction to all the demo videos I've seen so far is that it was "too clicky" for my taste. I assumed that was a feature they were delibetately showing off, but I'm happy to hear it's adjustable.

Thanks again, guys! :wave:

Unfortunately, there's very little for me to do on the Summer NAMM threads as it's a more guitar-oriented show and something of an afterthought for keyboards and music technology. That said, it still beats most normal weeks for product announcements. ;)

Special thanks to everyone who went and shared their impressions about what they saw and heard. Your reports help make the Keyboard Corner the special place it is. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Maybe it was just me, but when I tried the single tier XK-5 that was hooked up to headphones, I thought the overall volume was too low.

Jim intimated that they were still working on it. Should be ready to rock by August.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Question for those of you attending this year's Summer NAMM: How would you rate the attendance? Does it seem to be trending up or down, in your opinion? Both in terms of both manufacturers as well as the show visitors?

I've always enjoyed Nashville NAMM when I've been able to make it out there and I hope it keeps going. Just curious what your take is, if you're there this year.

I heard from the group that distributes the trade show "Upbeat Daily" that attendance was up. I'm confident in saying that there were more manufacturers there too.

The biggest issue for the future is that Nashville is going through a major transformation. In all directions in downtown Nashville there are hotels and skyscrapers going up. Outside of my trip to China over 10 years ago, I don't recall seeing so much construction in one area. Hotel prices for NAMM were higher than previous years, restaurant prices were significantly higher and I think this trend is going to continue. That doesn't make it easy for music dealers or manufacturers to make commitments to this show.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Even more expensive than L.A.? I will admit that I have never been to L.A., and go to Nashville on a regular basis, so I guess I'm used to it. But I've heard stories for years about how everything is expensive in California, yada yada. I guess the fact that the winter show is so big outweighs those factors as opposed to the smaller summer show?

Love the Spiffy Socks on Jim:

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii617/Ken_Soper/20160625_105005_zpsjtdg2ovc.jpg

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

The biggest issue for the future is that Nashville is going through a major transformation. In all directions in downtown Nashville there are hotels and skyscrapers going up. Outside of my trip to China over 10 years ago, I don't recall seeing so much construction in one area. Hotel prices for NAMM were higher than previous years, restaurant prices were significantly higher and I think this trend is going to continue. That doesn't make it easy for music dealers or manufacturers to make commitments to this show.

The buzz around town is that Nashville is the new LA. Roughly 85 people a day move to the metro Nashville area. On my route to work I saw a gas station turn into a high-rise condo in 6 months. Every inch of downtown that isn't on the National Historic Register is being torn down and replaced with a high-rise. It will take LA money to populate these $325k+ crackerbox condos. And then someone is going to have to address the lack of grocery stores in the Downtown/Gulch/Elliston Place areas. It feels like too much, too fast. Then again, I'm a boomer. Get off of my lawn. No seriously. Take your LA money and get off of my lawn.

Sorry for the thread derailment.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

It will take LA money to populate these $325k+ crackerbox condos.

I don't mean to be disdainful, but $325K won't get you much in LA. Maybe a fixer-upper somewhere in the hood. Not kidding.

The main reason I love living in rural America. I spent half that on a new, nicely built 2300 sq ft home with 1/2 acre. We watch shows like Flip or Flop and wonder how people can spend 1 mil on a house that would not sell for 50K in my area.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It will take LA money to populate these $325k+ crackerbox condos.

I don't mean to be disdainful, but $325K won't get you much in LA. Maybe a fixer-upper somewhere in the hood. Not kidding.

$325k is the low end in an industrial area. $3.5 mil will get you closer to safe walking. I'm suggesting that wages in TN aren't commensurate with the price of downtown real estate. You'll have to come from somewhere else with a nest egg.

That's interesting, Ken. In places I know that are booming like Houston or Austin, there are (or were, Houston has slowed a bit recently) jobs with money. Houston has oil & gas and medical, Austin has tech. There are townhouses going up around here at prices higher than you're saying. In Austin, the increased costs are making harder on the musicians there.

What I'm wondering is, what are the jobs or the industry that would be paying for those places in Nashville?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

OT- you have to factor in a lot of things with home values. Proximity to a thriving economy and jobs, family neighborhood - ie good schools which also equates to higher taxes. So of course in rural areas home prices will be cheaper because spending over 3 hours of one's day in commute is not desirable for those who don't work through the internet or aren't retired. Now factor in raising and educating 2.53 kids and location equates to hire home values and hire taxes. So it all snow balls from there. Therefore, my theory is if you want a mansion on acres of land move far away from jobs and children... far far away. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The buzz around town is that Nashville is the new LA

Or the new San Francisco/Bay area or Portland, Oregon or Seattle. It is happening everywhere. Housing prices and rents skyrocketing, traffic crazy, food prices out of control. Welcome to the new millennium. My daughter lives and works in Seattle....she says it is a great place to be if you are 30 years old and making $300K plus a year.

Sorry to derail this interesting talk about real estate, but here's another cool, new productthis time from Audio Ease, the makers of Altiverb (my go-to reverb plug-in). Their new product, Indoor, looks like a must for post production and a possibly cool one for music production as well:

[video:youtube]

Best,

Geoff

I'm suggesting that wages in TN aren't commensurate with the price of downtown real estate. You'll have to come from somewhere else with a nest egg.

I agree, it sounds like either foreign investment or out of state investment in Nashville real estate.

On a related note, here's an article about bedroom communities that are priced out of the reach of the locals who work there due to property investment made by people who work in higher salaried nearby communities:

The Most Unaffordable Place to Live in America Is

Best,

Geoff

Brooklyn! Oh yes. Dead on. No lies. It's yuppie central, if that's still the word for them. They're homeschooling there too. Parents get together and make a learning community, take turns teaching the subjects lessons etc. $$$

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hey Guys it's been ages since the last time I was here. Finally made it out to my first NAMM this year.

I had a blast and will post some videos and pictures.

Had a great time meeting and hanging out with

Dave Bryce, Jim Alfredson, and Mike Martin. Great bunch of guys.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Homes in Queens are now worth a bundle too/ Brooklyn is close to MAD-hatten....the prices in Manhattan are headed for only the 1 %'s....It's turned into an investment community for the Illuminati! So everyone's headed to Brooklyn who are in their 20's 30's . . .40's!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

The road system in and out of Nashville has not kept up with the population growth. You can still find cheap housing in neighboring counties but the commute is not fun.

^ What he said. Eight weeks ago I was in Cookeville for two weeks. I visited Nashville and the road system needs help. If Nashville is the new LA, there is no place to expand the highway system. I don't think they even have a mass transit system other than buses.

Archived