Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Backwards Lyrics and Subliminal Messages

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That IS interesting...especially about how the brain decodes speech.

It also reminded me of a story related to the topic that you might find amusing! When the Emulator II came out, it could do reverse samples. As a joke, one of the ads said "Backwards mode - ideal for recording Satanic messages." I thought it was hilarious.

Fast forward about 7 years later. I hear there's going to be a talk show subject on a San Francisco radio station (KGO) about the evils of rock music or some such thing. The guest, who was kind of a religious nut job, started fulminating about how Satanic messages are so common, so brazenly foisted on the public, that a company once made an instrument specifically for creating backwards Satanic messages!

Well once I stopped laughing to myself, I actually called in to the show and explained that it was just a joke, and that backwards audio is used in a variety of contexts. He seemed really confused after hearing that.

By the way, this was the same company that was going to have a headline for an Emulator ad that said "To call it the greatest achievement in the history of Western Civilization would be an understatement." Then someone suggested that perhaps, some people wouldn't get that it was a joke. So the headline was nixed. I still think it was a great line :)

Originally posted by Ani:

...Never knew that Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody had backwards winding messages; interesting, to say the least.

Seems like you were in a hurrt whilest reading this one... it doesn't say Queen had a backward message it says that when the authort of the article play the song backward people recogdnize it..

In any case, it is interesting. And Craig you sotry is actually alarming, it show how some people , espcially fanatic, takes thing out of context , blow it out of proportions and drive everyone nuts. :D

I actually start to use a lot of backward vocals in our new project. Not as a subliminal message (I usually flip a line that is already in the song) it simply sounds so mistirious like. I love it.

BTW, didn't Missy E had a backward chorus not that long ago? Never really try to figure what she was saying.

Any body knows ?

Danny

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

I remember my ancient band "Shrapnel" (it was the 80s, cut me some slack) did a bar demo, and I put a "back-masked" thing over the intro of our cover of "The Zoo" by the Scorpions. If anyone who heard the demo had bothered to play it backwards, they would have heard the words...

"Hire us. Please hire us. We really need the work".

:D:D:D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I believe that you really did that Ted. :thu:

Originally posted by Anderton:

... a talk show subject on a San Francisco radio station (KGO)... I actually called in to the show...

How long ago was this? I listen to that station all the time; I could have heard you and not realized it. :)

Originally posted by Mr Darling:

BTW, didn't Missy E had a backward chorus not that long ago? Never really try to figure what she was saying.

Any body knows ?

It was on the song "Work It."

The first half of the chorus goes:

"Is it worth it, let me work it

I put my thang down, flip it and reverse it"

And then you hear "I put my thang down, flip it and reverse it" backwards, twice.

Makes more sense now, huh? :cool:

I heartily recommend the anti-backmasking screed Backward Masking Unmasked by Jacob Aranza. It is out of print, but used copies are available at Amazon starting at, like, a quarter or something. It's worth a million bucks of yuks no matter what you pay for it. See, this book is different, because Aranza used to listen to rock and roll, and he has insight into what those crazy kids like. Or, at least he thought he did, and that was in 1983 to boot. Anyway, check it out. It's a laugh riot.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived