Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I think I know what is wrong with me.

CEB

You can't cut out the carbs. That's a big part of the fuel for your body.

Maccas and all fast food outlets would be very happy to read that.

True you cannot cut out all carbs. Even green vegetables like broccoli have few. But you can cut out all hi carb foods like rice, bread and pasta.

And high sugar fruit. Substitute low sugar fruits like blueberries. Tomato juice for orange juice.

If a very low carb diet was bad for your health after 30 months of this regime I would be in very poor shape. I'm not, my bloods, which get tested every six months, are better on all key measures including normal range A1c than they have been for 10 years.

And I have yet to engage in any additional exercise program.

It is a very simple formula, energy consumed in excess of energy burnt is stored as fat. You can choose to either consume less or burn more.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many theories abound, I think it's pretty safe to say that in general it's good to avoid overly processed foods. Avoid meals from boxes and cans with long shelf life, fast food joints, soda, etc. I think the objective at the moment is to eat lower on the glycemic index. Lots of books on the subject. But mainly you just need a chart. This might be helpful.

http://www.optimalfoods.org

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The nutritionist will indicate that you should have about 3 servings of carbs per meal. One serving is 15Mg.

That "M" was a typo, right? 15Mg is only about a couple of crumbs...

Yeah, you're right. it should be grams, not milligrams. My mistake

15 grams of carbs is considered one serving.

So, three servings of carbs per meal is 45 grams

One 12 oz. can of Coke has 39 grams of carbs.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Many theories abound, I think it's pretty safe to say that in general it's good to avoid overly processed foods. Avoid meals from boxes and cans with long shelf life, fast food joints, soda, etc. I think the objective at the moment is to eat lower on the glycemic index. Lots of books on the subject. But mainly you just need a chart. This might be helpful.

http://www.optimalfoods.org

Good site, but for someone who is Type 11 or heading that way, to quote that site, "good carb" foods which result in "relatively small increases in blood sugar" defeat the purpose when the target is to lower blood sugar levels.

For those with Type 11 the only "good carb" is one that lowers blood sugar levels.

Once blood sugar is back in the normal range moderate and occasional intake of "good carb" foods is as far as most Type 11 people can go without pushing up their A1c.

I think the moral is that I had I limited my carb consumption to only "good carbs" earlier in life I may have deferred or avoided ending up as Type 11.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I've seen a ton of web sites and email lists purporting to give advice about controlling diabetes, blood sugar, etc. Most of them focus on nutritional advice, what to eat, good carbs vs. bad carbs and so forth and so on. Almost all of these sites are giving bad advice and incorrect info that is not supported by any science. My advice is to ignore all these sites and email lists, and to track your blood sugar with a meter. That's the best and most useful feedback you can have. You need to know what diet and exercise does for YOUR blood levels, not what some web site says you can eat. If I were to follow some of the advice on web sites, like that optimalfoods one, or the 45 grams of carbs per meal advice, my blood sugar would spike beyond acceptable levels. Some of the most scientifically-supported advice is to limit all carbs to 45 grams per day.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Understood. I wasn't suggesting that a chart or list like optimalfoods.org was a cure for diabetes. Just that sticking with less processed foods and more "real" foods, especially those lower on the glycemic index may generally just be healthier eating. It's difficult to flat out say that years of "healthier" eating might avoid problems later in life, but there is something in the "common sense" vibe about that notion. I suspect it's difficult to prove the opposite as well - that years of high glycemic and overly processed foods is the culprit for conditions like diabetes or artery, pulmonary problems, etc. We do our best, I suppose.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I suspect it's difficult to prove the opposite as well - that years of high glycemic and overly processed foods is the culprit for conditions like diabetes or artery pulmonary problems, etc.

Interesting point. Sounds like the 'science isn't settled' position tobacco companies took in the '50's when disputing the research that showed the correlation between cigarette smoking and the elevated incidence of cancer amongst smokers.

Could you post some links to peer reviewed medical research that states there is no correlation between the consumption of high glycemic foods and the incidence of Type 11 diabetes.

I'm not commenting on high glycemic foods and Type II diabetes I think there's good evidence that such foods contribute to adult diabetes but I suggest this book as a more science-based discussion. It's got a lot of references to peer-reviewed articles.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living.

Here it is on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/0983490708/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1466359124&sr=1-1&keywords=the+art+and+science+of+low+carbohydrate+living

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Yes, sometimes it's serious medical stuff.

Last month, my GF implored me to get checked for sleep apnea. Not just really bad snoring, I stop breathing in my sleep, known as apnea "events". So I mentioned it to my PCP. Fortunately, I have great health insurance. He referred me to the Kaiser Sleep Center.

They made an appointment, sent me home with an unobtrusive testing device. Anything over 5 events an hour is apnea. Anything over 30 an hour is severe. I averaged 76 events an hour. And my blood oxygen level was dangerously low as a result. As one of my sons summarized it, I was basically suffocating in my sleep.

They provided this small, silent web-enable CPAP machine. It took a minute to get used to sleeping with it, but it cured my apnea. I now average 0.5 events an hour - essentially normal. It sends all the night's data to the mother ship every morning and summarizes over a secure web portal. Cool stuff. Kaiser paid for everything, zero deductible.

I feel way less fatigued, much more alert, a lot more energy, and starting to bike and walk to chip away at this spare tire I have (need to lose 30 lbs).

Sometimes it's medical stuff, and sometimes it's serious enough to kill you. Get checked.

Tim

I have no idea whether this will come to fruition or even whether it even works, but my gf sent me this and Tim's post made me think to share it here. I thought it was a fancy breatheright strip but it supposedly has many micro pumps in it to put air into you:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/airing-the-first-hoseless-maskless-micro-cpap#/

Pretty cool if it works. I am a terrible bed partner because of my snoring, and I too am tired a lot.

If you can spare an hour, you may find that watching this BBC science documentary changes your life. Here are two different links, in case one of them does not work.

http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/

I've been thinking about bumping this post as no one commented on it. Here's my experience with what's called the Fast diet or the '5 2' diet.

I had a bit of a wake-up call last year. My blood pressure and blood glucose was rising for the first time in my life. Fyi, I just turned 68. On the strong advice from my doctor, I gave up sugar and most white carbs. As I posted earlier, they are additive to me. Once I get off the sugar merry-go-round, I don't miss it. Within a few months of no sugar and regular exercise, I was feeling great and my weight was a somewhat normal 185.

In May, a good friend of mine that I trust sent me the link to the same BBC documentary that xKnuckles posted. When I watched it, something clicked. I had known about the decades-old studies that showed the increase in life span and health of lab rats when put on a reduced calorie diet. This had always fascinated me, but at the time, researchers had no idea as to why this happened. The documentary has interviews with researchers that have discovered that our high calorie diets increase the amount of IGH-1, an insulin-related growth hormone. Lowering this hormone apparently is what increased the lifespan of the calorie-restricted rats.

Although I was happy with my weight and health, the thought of losing a few pounds around my middle and further improving my health was interesting. I decided to try it. obtw, I'm not one to go on fad diets. I'm more interested in beneficial lifestyle changes.

The tl;dr version of this diet is to restrict calories two days a week, the 'fast' days, and eat normally on the other five. Hence, '2 5'. For most of us, Tuesday and Thursday are the best fast days for most as it leaves weekends open for social eating events. A fast day is a calorie-restricted day, not a true fast. 600 calories for men and 500 calories for women.

The first fast day seemed like a big deal at the time as I had no idea how hungry I'd get. It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought. Water helped a lot with the hunger.

The next morning, I wasn't hungry! This was really surprising to me. I didn't eat until lunch. Two more surprises: The food tasted so much better and I got full about 2/3 through the meal and stopped.

I just finished my first four weeks on this diet. I actually look forward to the fast days because I feel better and have more time to work. On my regular days, I get to enjoy more intense food flavors and stop eating before I get too full. Over-eating has always been a problem for me.

I'm down a solid three pounds and can feel the difference in how my jeans fit. This tells me that it's belly fat loss rather than muscle loss. Earlier this week, I had a doctor visit and my blood pressure reading was normal on the first try. Normally, I have to sit and relax for about ten minutes while they take readings. These are very good things and I'm encouraged to stay on this diet.

I posted this for the benefit of anyone that might want to fight off the effects of over-eating on your health. I encourage you to at least consider trying this.

One word of caution: I'm not a medical professional. If you're diabetic or pre-diabetic, I strongly recommend that you work closely with your doctor and don't try this diet without medical supervision.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Hi Murray,

I am so pleased to hear that you have been trying - and having success with - the fast (or 5:2) diet. I have been doing it for 2 years and have nothing but good things to say about it. I started doing it not from a need to lower my weight (my weight has never been a problem), nor for any specific health problem - I am extremely healthy on the whole (but I did used to have a few problems with my blood sugar levels), but more out of curiosity and in the hope that it might be beneficial in the long term and perhaps prevent me from getting problems in the future.

I have stuck with it (and intend to NEVER stop doing it ) for the following reasons:

1. On fast days I get loads done. If you don't eat you go into 'fasting' mode. Strangely and unexpectedly, instead of producing lethargy, it produces energy - presumably because Our ancestors in that situation would have needed to be super alert in order to hunt etc . I find that I feel very active and am extremely productive on fast days.

2. Fasting is easy and feels good. The trick (for me) is to eat absolutely nothing at all until dinner time. If I don't start eating I dont get hungry at all. Then I can have a reasonable dinner and I feel great.

3. This diet has sorted out my blood sugar issues - which used to be a problem if I went more than a couple of hours without food etc. Within a few weeks of starting the diet all such symptoms vanished and I can go really long periods of time with no food now and with no problems. This benefit has been HUGE to me and is why I suggested the video in this thread.

4. I have lost a few pounds - everybody does.

5. My appetite has changed and my tolerance for "crap"

Food had diminished.

6. I am certain that I am, and will be, healthier as a result of this diet.

There are loads and loads of others doing it also with all sorts of good health effects.

I have never attempted any special diet before, but I believe that this one really is worth giving a go. The video fully explains all the science behind it.

I am so glad you like it too, Murray. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

For over two and a half years, I have been doing this diet without realizing it even was a diet. It is simply a preferred life style change.

When I had the last of my bottom teeth extracted, I really could not chew. That was when I discovered my "power shake" as I call it . . . two breakfast essential packets, barley malt powder, wheat dextrin, evaporated milk, 2% milk and additive free Haagen Dazs coffee ice cream.

About three days out of the week, that is all I have. It provides all of the protein, calcium, vitamins and minerals I need for an entire day. You are right in that you get lots done when you do not have to "take time to eat a meal". I can have the shake while I am doing other things, too. The benefit of a largely liquid meal like that is you do not feel heavy or weighed down.

I eat small portions of things anyway, so small dinners are normal for me, like soup, mashed potatoes or even just 250 calories worth of peanut butter.

I am and have been for quite some time the right weight, on no prescription medications, no supplements, no over the counter except for the night time 650 milligrams of Tylenol (I have probable M.S., never got it officially diagnosed but have all but two of the symptoms) to prevent spasticity while I am sleeping.

We have home blood pressure and blood sugar monitors for hubby who has problems and is on prescriptions for those, but my testing always comes out normal for me.

I agree that you have to do what works for you as an individual and those who are working with doctors should do so before trying anything or making sure if you do that it is monitored well, but for me? This is the ticket.

:)

I have no idea whether this will come to fruition or even whether it even works, but my gf sent me this and Tim's post made me think to share it here. I thought it was a fancy breatheright strip but it supposedly has many micro pumps in it to put air into you:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/airing-the-first-hoseless-maskless-micro-cpap#/

Pretty cool if it works. I am a terrible bed partner because of my snoring, and I too am tired a lot.

It looks like a cosmetic appliance that an alien character on the original Star Trek would wear, and I mean that in a good way. Seriously, no mask and no tubes would be huge.

But some things that would need to be answered:

I do a lot better with the humidifier function in my machine. The first trial week with nothing but dry air forced up my nose was really difficult in the morning. This little appliance can't address that, I would think.

Also, the CPAP I've got constantly monitors my responses, records them and responds automatically - it keeps a record of my events, the amount of necessary air pressure (constantly adjusted automatically), etc. It's really a pretty smart-enabled appliance.

I'm not sure how much of that is intended to be built into this little machine.

Still, it's promising. I'm working with a start up right now that is producing amazing scientific products for the research market all in house with inexpensive 3D printing. The world has changed a whole lot, and I hope this product makes it to market.

Archived