Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How often do you change strings?

duff beer

I'm curious how often people change strings on their bass. I just changed mine today...roundwounds on a 5-string Ibanez bass. The last time they were changed was about 2 years ago, and based on an average of 12 - 16 hours a week of practice, rehearsals, and gigs, that adds up to about 1500 hours of playing time. I play gently, don't slap, and don't have acidic hands. I only noticed them starting to sound dead 2-3 weeks ago.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was playing bass more actively in bands, usually 4-6 months between changes. Now that I'm playing lead guitar in a band, and only playing bass at church, I might change them once every other year. Especially since I have 5 basses that will get rotated as needed throughout the year. If I get a recording session, I might change them right before that. Maybe not, depending on how they feel & sound. The D'Addario half-wounds on my fretless haven't been changed in probably 5 or 6 years.

My hands & sweat are not corrosive (unlike my son's), but I do play hard when called for, mild slapping. But only for a couple of hours a week at this point.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I've had the same set of D'Addario Chromes on my project P-Bass since I built it. That was back in 2014. Those strings have mellowed out nicely in the past year.

As for other strings? It depends on the instrument and how often I play it. When I'm playing an instrument pretty often (and it doesn't have flatwounds), I might change strings every 3 or 4 months. But the real test for me is the sound. I tend to play some relatively bright stainless steel roundwounds, that have reasonably long lifespans. Those are either DR High Beams or Dean Markley Blue Steels. And if I'm going to be heading into the studio? I will absolutely change roundwound strings before I start recording.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I change them all after one breaks....usually that's the sign for me that they're all done. But: My basses are either flatwound or groundwound on fretless. (One fretted that gets very little use, has groundwounds...) So since I don't like much zing in my tone, I'm not disappointed when they go flat. And with no frets, the strings don' get those flat spots at the fret that (my theory, anyway) is partially responsible for poor tuning in old roundwounds. And I never know when to change the battery until it's too late.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

On my active basses with roundwounds, roughly every six months or when I can't stand anymore -- depending on how much I'm using a particular bass.

The '76 Fender Jazz has been strung with Chrome flats for four or five years now -- I have no plans to change them at the present time.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

When my strings start to sound a little dead, I just get a new bass.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I change them all after one breaks....usually that's the sign for me that they're all done.

Really? I've only broken two strings in the last 50 years.

You change them more than I do!!!!

I can snap a C string on occasion, sometimes a G. I happens when the strings are silly old and I've been conned into turning my amp down. It never, ever-ever happens until the core of the string is well past it's prime. And since I no longer fall for that con of turning the amp down after I play a couple three notes too loud, it's not happened in a long time....so that means I now have very old strings.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I was reminded over the weekend about the need to change strings, due to playing 2 outdoor gigs. The heat & humidity did a number, so I'll probably change at least one set before this weekend's gig.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• 2 weeks later...
I cant remember, but its been years. On my two gigging basses I have TI flats on one and d`ad chromes on the other. Both instruments play and sound great. The chromes were on that particular bass when I bought it used a few years ago and I dont know how long they were on before that.

• 5 months later...

Probably not as often as I should since I have a Steinberger and you can't just run and pick up the double ball strings at GC, you have to order them. I did change them a few years ago after having the same ones for probably 10-15 years and the difference in the sound was amazing...the old ones had gotten really dull and muddy.

But I only played it regularly in a band for a few years of that time. After that I got an acoustic that I've played a LOT more....easier to just pick it up and play around the house, then I played it in an acoustic band for a while. The old Steinberger only gets played occasionally.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Flats - never

Rounds - When they start to lose their ability to stay in tune.

In 40 years of playing I had only broken 2 strings until a couple of months ago, I broke my A string during rehearsal. That really took me by surprise. I replaced them with a set of the new D'Addario NYXL's and I am really liking these strings! I may try them on a few other basses instead of my beloved DR Sunbeams.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived