Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I think I'm gonna hurl

So I was in the supermarket, and in the checkout line I always glance at the tabloid headlines, cuz they're usually funny. However, this week the front page of the National Enquirer was "STARS WITH CELLULITE! Pages and pages of shocking photos!" And it had pictures of various celebrities' butts, taken in bathing suits or whatever, who had a bit of cellulite (and they were kind enough to include big arrows pointing out the cellulite marks).

THEN right next to it was US Magazine, whose cover feature was "BOTOX MANIA! Who's had it, and who hasn't...yet!"

Can I just puke now? I mean celebrity gossip has always been pretty stupid, but this has gotta be a new low. Oooh - the stars are human. News flash. :rolleyes: It's really so SHOCKING that celebrities have cellulite? And is that ALL people care about now is looking young and perfect, regardless of how many surgeries they have to have or chemicals they have to put on or in their bodies? Are we destined to become a world full of "perfect" plastic people?

Sorry to rant, I know they're just lame tabloids but lame tabloids SELL. And that means people must actually want to read this stuff. As if all the beauty and fashion magazines aren't bad enough. Blahhhh.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just remember, a good percentage of people in North America are either:

a) Uneducated, and therefore unable to appreciate or understand literature of any value.

b) Severely insecure, and get off on knowing that the stars they look up to have the same physical flaws they do.

Ususally, a) and b) go together.

Yeah, Lee, not only did I see that same "cellulite" cover and get a good chuckle, but afterwards they had a plastic surgery special on ET. I think it's really sad and pathetic. Everybody has something on them they don't like (goofy looking toes, huge head), but fer cryin' out loud, is it that bad that you have to go through that crap to fix them? And that you have that low of a self esteem to not just be content with your "original goods." I've know girls with superb bodies that want breast and butt implants. And when you genuinely say they're fine as is, you get "you don't undertand"-type treatment. It's ridiculous. Sorry, but I don't care enough that when I'm an old man I want my wife or myself to be "adjusted" to look younger. You are going to get OLD and you ARE GOING TO DIE. Period. You'll just be a more pathetic looking corpse with all that crap done. (Tell us how you really feel, AG)

Too many Humans are a sad lot, and getting sadder by the minute.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

The worst part about plastic surgery is in a lot of cases, you can tell it's been done: Facelifts stretched so tight the skin looks like it's going to explode, breast implants that are as hard as rocks, etc. I prefer the pre-CBS Telecasters, myself .

Originally posted by Jeebus:

Just remember, a good percentage of people in North America are either:

a) Uneducated, and therefore unable to appreciate or understand literature of any value.

You have got to be kidding me. Even a cursory glance at your 'posting' here convinces one that "Jeebus" (gee, I wonder who that nickname is meant to insult.) spent alot of time on the "Short Bus". One suspects that your literary bus was headed to the local Chucky Cheese rather than the Globe.

And poetry, I'm sure you didn't waste your time with hacks like Milton or Joyce or Poe.

No, you probably concentrated on the giants, like Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain.

Uneducatedly Yours,

NBR

Edited for spelling

"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -- John Adams

"I am a senior member, and thereby entilted to all the privileges and rights accorded said status"

-- NBR

Originally posted by Jeebus:

Aw come on Jeeb,you mean we can't even laugh once in a while? Alwright,the next time I see one of those rags with the glaring headlines like "Giant flying cat's attack entire city"..or "Man walks backwards his whole life(with photo's of mini rear-view mirrors soldered onto his glasses)",I promise to hold it in and look the other way and head straight to the local library. :D
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Pretty sad when even cartoons make comments on plastic surgery. My oldest daughter liked the Rugrats as a young child and watches All Grown Up these days. I caught a glimpse of Anjelica's mom in one episode. I ask my daughter what's wrong with her, she looks funny. Daaad! She just got out of plastic surgery. Sheesh! strangest looking thing even on a cartoon! ;)

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by philbo_Tangent:

Yeah, I really miss the more entertaining stories they used to do:

'9 foot goat boy marries Elvis clone from outer space'

'Vampire boy loose in Nagasaki'

stuff like that...

Yeah, Philbo, that's what I'm talking 'bout! That's the REAL news! :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

"Never overestimate the intelligence of the American public."

Anyone know who said that? I'd like to give credit, but I forgot the utterer's name...

If you don't wanna be nibbled, don't play with the bunny.

God created Eve and me, not Steve and me. - Adam

IMO, It's utterly silly, but I don't buy it as a a sign of cultural degeneration. Elizabethan England may have been the most literate society in history, and 90% of what they published and read was the sheerest sensational crap--most of it having to do with travels in America. Trashy diversions are fine, an inescapable product of any literate culture, so long as we don't confuse it with serious pubic discourse. As long as we recongize it as trash, it's pretty harmless, and even serious-minded poeple can safely enjoy it.

Our culture-wide obsession with celebrity--at every educational and socio-economic level--is a little more worrisome to me. As James Baldwin wrote, in 1960 for pete's sake, "The American equation of success with the 'big times' reveals an awful disrespect for human life and human achievement."

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought he said "big thighs." Never mind.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by NOT Bolt Rifles:

"Jeebus" (gee, I wonder who that nickname is meant to insult.)

Perhaps you haven't been around long enough, but I changed my name to Jeebus to AVOID insulting people who were offended by my prior name.

No, you probably concentrated on the giants, like Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain.

I was never a fan of either, so I can't say I'm familiar with their work. Enlighten me.

Jeebus.

I may be the only one here that will admit that I've had some "work" done, to improve my face, because I was still serious about becoming a "star".

Let me tell you: it was the worst experience I've ever had, everything went wrong, the doctor was so worried that I was going to get a scalp infection that he was "giving" me all his free samples of anti-biotics.

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!! Unless you have the best sugeon and a lot of time to recover!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS HELLLLLLLL!

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Ever thought of a lawsuit...?
I felt lucky to get out after all said and done at $2600 for both of them. I also lost my job at the time I was going thru all that shit, but got a better job. It was a traumatic thing, but my life has been sorta crapolla anyway, no-big-deal!

Also, I just don't believe in sueing everyone, unless something really "bad" happens, like death or serious injury, thanks anyway. :thu:

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Archived