Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT : Fitbit and Playing

Fusker

So yeah, I wear a Fitbit. Curious to see if anyone else has tracked vitals while performing. Other devices are also allowed, lol.

I had two gigs on Saturday. First was an outdoor car show, 2.5 hours, first hot day of the year at 90+. Second show started at 6:00, 4 hour gig also outside, in the 90's at downbeat.

So on the day, I burned 5,700 calories! Also noticed that when playing keys in general, it's pretty much the equivalent of a light workout. Heart rate elevates to "Fat Burn" zone, and arm gyrations register similar to bike riding as far as steps/distance goes.

Just curious if others had noticed this or had numbers to report.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the FitBit One without the arm band so I don't get much credit for stationary actions. I should try the wrist band and see what happens when I play drums.

I will mention that I accidently put my FitBit through the washer last weekend. Once I realized it is okay I got curious about how much mileage credit I got for it spinning round and round. ... Nothing. All that time spent tumbling in a washer and I did not burn any calories or get any mileage. :P

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Just curious if others had noticed this or had numbers to report.

Read this post earlier in the day. Last week I had a heart monitor on for 24 hours. Mostly my normal day including an hours keyboard practice plus I went for a medium run just see what that did.

Went to the Cardiologist today for 2nd exercise ECG and Ultrasound plus heart monitor results.

Figured I would ask Doc what happened at the time of the run and keyboard practise. All that revealed was there was the expected elevation in heart rate while running and nada while practicing.

The results were all normal so none the wiser but then my theory that half an hour of practice burns off one beer has not been disproved either.

:cheers:

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

5700 Calories? Really? Wow. I know you can burn some playing music. I think people overestimate the amount of calories that they burn, especially in a workout when I am in the gym.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

5,700 calories sounds pretty incredible unless there was some other period of heavy exercise during the day. I use the Microsoft Band 2 but only when hiking. I think the most I've ever seen was in the 3,500 cal range but that was > 4,000 feet elevation gain and a pretty strenuous workout (for me at least) over several hours. I think these bands will credit you somewhere around 100 cal/hour for normal "keeping you alive" functions. I would think playing a four hour gig would burn somewhere between 500 and 1,000 calories. I mean it's not strenuous for most players, is it?

Here's one comparison of the accuracy of some of the different fitness trackers.

[video:youtube]

Busch.

Function of BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate, how many calories you burn when at rest) and sustained heart rate, the calculation for calories obviously has a margin of error with any device, but it's a pretty basic measurement once you have your BMR established.

Not strenuous playing a gig, but if your resting heart rate is 65 bpm, and it goes to 90 bpm while playing, for whatever reason, that's an increased burn.

As to burning a beer, I looked at my charts for an example. Last Monday at rehearsal, my heart rate popped up to 90 BPM for an 1 hour and 17 minutes, that burned 348 calories. So pretty sure the beer being burned off is a good theory!

As to my measurement, I played for 6.5 hours, moved a PA twice, set up a PA once, moved my keys rig 4 times, set up my keys rig twice, all outside in 90+ degree heat. I burn 2,800 calories a day just being alive...so it looks pretty accurate to me.

That's also part of why I posted, curious if others had noticed this stuff I never gave a second thought in the past. I was at a meeting the other day and 4 of 6 people had some kind of device on their wrist.

Edit after other posts:

I'm not saying I burned 5,700 additional calories. On an average day, with my normal workout and being alive, I burn 3,100 or so. This particular day, according to Fitbit at least, I burned 5,700, or, 2,600 additional calories. MY BPM was essentially 40% higher on average (then my resting rate) for 10 hours ish. I think I can buy that math, lol.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I have the Apple Watch, and some practicing (especially scales, Hanon) credits me for my Stand hour and calories and steps. It's good motivation to practice as it helps me close those rings. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My fitbit counted my arm movements as steps.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

Archived