Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking of starting my own project

EddiePlaysBass

Right now I am in two bands. Well, sort of, anyway. One of them is my old rockabilly band which disbanded 5 years ago. In the interim, only myself and the guitarist continued playing music. In addition, the guitarist developed a coke habit This reunion is really not going anywhere. Guys want to play blues now but when I suggest songs I get zero response. Oh and in the 3 months since we decided to reunite, we rehearsed twice.

Second band consists of 40- and 50-somethings (I am 35). Started as an acoustic duo, then added a percussionist and recently a bass player, me. Mostly pop songs, a lot of 90s material. I had 5 rehearsals with them and then played a 90 min gig in front of 500 people. Not their regular type of gig, I must say :-) Singer and drummer are okay but the guitarist is horrible. Strums one rhythm but fingerpicks quite well, has trouble soloing and will play random chord changes irrespective of the actual song structure. Hard to keep up with but for some reason it seems to work. We have 3 gigs lined up so far.

Neither of these bands are really satisfactory for me. So I am thinking of finding a guitarist who can solo and sing, and start a duo where I play electric upright exclusively. If he cant solo, I will play some melodies on the upright or whatever. I am just wondering if its marketable, a bass/guitar/vocals duo. Itd be blues-based in nature cos that is what I really like best. I know a few venues where I could try and get a gig, and a place where I could make some decent (live) recordings.

Anyone have any experience with this type of setting?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck

IMO you should try finding a keyboard player who wants URB, it worked fro Joe Jackson and Graham Maby

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Find a good female singer and do some songs by Lake Street Dive!

+1, can't wait to see them on Saturday!

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

YouTube has a ton of their live performances, as well as a few promotional videos. Great band, Bridget Kearny rocks the URB!

I didn't really need more cd's ... until now :-o Excellent sound!

Oh yeah! glad you liked them, too bad they just returned from a European tour. They play near me on Saturday and I have tickets, I am really looking forward to seeing them.

So I am thinking of finding a guitarist who can solo and sing, and start a duo where I play electric upright exclusively. If he cant solo, I will play some melodies on the upright or whatever. I am just wondering if its marketable, a bass/guitar/vocals duo. Itd be blues-based in nature cos that is what I really like best. I know a few venues where I could try and get a gig, and a place where I could make some decent (live) recordings.

Anyone have any experience with this type of setting?

This type of project sounds REALLY specific. Especially if you want to work with a singing guitar player who's into this type of material. Going into a situation like this sounds cool, but you're placing significant expectations on your partner in this sort of duo setting. I think I would be more comfortable forming a duo like this if I already knew the other partner in the project and what they could bring to the table, and THEN build a concept for an act around your combined common tastes.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Going into a situation like this sounds cool, but you're placing significant expectations on your partner in this sort of duo setting.

Agreed. The issue is that the few people I know who would possibly be into this kind of thing, do not have the chops to pull it off.

Maybe I will just place an add and see if I get lucky ... That sounds bad, but you know what I mean :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I get what you want to do. But going into this sort of project where you're placing these particular demands on a duo partner places a lot of expectations on things from the outset.

I think taking a more organic approach might be the best way to get something like this moving forward. Try expanding the circle of musicians you work with: go to jams, go to other people's gigs, etc. You might come across someone who you've got some legitimate chemistry with that might share your vision.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived