Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitarist's amp under my keyboard stand!

Ledbetter

If you've made your feelings clear and the guitarist continues to behave in a fashion that is unacceptable to you, then I agree with the others, it's time to find a new work environment.

Well and clearly said.

I feel like there's some missing info here. Why would the guitarist insist on placing an amp in exactly the place you don't want him to, even after you've made it clear what your feelings are and you've even stood in the spot to keep him from putting the amp there, then he puts it there as soon as you leave the spot? It certainly sounds like a control issue as well as clearly disrespecting your concerns. If you can't talk about it with him and find a solution, then I'd agree with others time to leave. If he can't work well with others and you can't enjoy playing music, what's the point? He needs to be told (and others need to be told) that he can't be worked with. Move on. There are better bands and better players that want to play with you.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would NEVER work with a band where the guitarist owns the PA or runs sound. With few exceptions, guitar players are narcissists who are obsessed with getting heard and by running the mix or owning the PA they can and will focus on their guitar and not the band as a whole. These people are control freaks.

You're dealing with a narcissist who wants to hog the spotlight and be a guitar hero. He wants to eliminate any instruments that are in his way, and is attempting to make your stage life as miserable as possible so that you will leave. There is no reasoning with a person like this. They are not team members. Quit.

Being vindictive will work against you, although the idea of a hidden RF transmitter is intriguing. I like the way you think.

Like others, my town doesn't tolerate jerks and word DOES get around. I have turned down an offer to work with a local child prodigy guitarist with a following because I refuse to deal with nepotism with his dad running the show for his kid. Inevitably these ego-centric guitar players will find fewer and fewer musicians willing to work with them, and they will either give up or move to another town where they can continue their manipulation. And the cycle repeats...

I would add the caveat, as long as you'll still be able to pay the rent, absolutely quit right away.

If you need the income to live, work on getting another gig, THEN quit.

Same net outcome, quit.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

work on getting another gig, THEN quit.
I always say don't fire the bass player (or whatever the player/vocalist) until you have the replacement. Voice of experience. Change to: don't fire the band until you have a new one.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I really wouldn't mind taking a break until the next thing comes along. I'm going to try to work this out one more time, but I'm not optimistic because this guitarist

1. Doesn't think there's a problem

2. Believes he's entitled to control every inch of the stage, and

3. Doesn't think there's anything I can (or will) do about it.

Thank all of you for your advice, I truly appreciate it.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

So far, I vote for Dave's beer on the amp and ^^^ Lobo's looking for a new band.

If you're more passive aggressive, which it seems, I would consider getting some dogshit and rubbing it on his amp handle bottom side, or at least dumping some into his amp through the back slots. Beagle shit seems to work well, since they are always prancing around making noises, churning up the shit into a nice homogenized blend.

Paul

Ledbetter, you wrote two things:

- "sticks his big Fender amp right under my stand..."

- "I literally have to climb over it to get to my place behind the keyboards"

I'm having trouble correlating these two points. Is the stand your keyboard stand? Not trying to excuse the guitarist's behavior, just trying to understand better what might be the guitarist's mindset.

1) Put plexi glass around the back of the amp to shield the noise, or

2) Move to the other side of the stage

I wouldn't give him the pleasure by quitting. That is probably what he wants you to do.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

the loudest thing on the stage....It will never change
Quit the band.

Well, if you are going anyway, before you quit...

Go to Guitar Center.

Purchase pitch shifter pedal on spec.

When guitarist is not looking, patch pedal into his line.

Set pedal to 100% wet.

Use expression pedal to intermittently alter guitar pitch to random intervals.

Enjoy this last night with the band.

Return pedal to GC. :/

You're evil. I like it. :D

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

Harmonizer, I use an Apex stand-it's like a column. I am at the very back of the stage, right up against the wall in most venues. There's access to one side only because the mixer is on the left side leaving no room. I leave room on the other side next to the drum kit. The amp is placed to the right of the column, under the right half of the keyboards, taking up the space I leave to get behind the keys.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

The guy who I used to duo with was kinda like this, only not quite as bad (mainly because I had the PA!). His habit was taking up the whole friggin stage with his crap while he was setting up. Every trip from his car he'd just drop stuff wherever, and there it stayed until he was done. I'd usually manage to nudge equipment near a reasonable dividing line to make sure I had enough room to set up and play, but I was constantly climbing over cases and stands and more cases. Near-homicidal rage, great way to start off a gig. Anyway, that's just part of the reason why I'm solo now.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

how about you just move it after he sets it there? I've moved more than one amp that was obstructing my chi. it spurred a compromise agreement that was good for all.

perhaps tell him that the way he constantly puts his amp in your way is going to result in your quitting - see if that is his purpose or not?

I'm with several, keyboardists who play professionally and show up, and have pro gear are in demand. I'm in San Diego (CA), I get offers all the time from bands. Offers slowed down only because I now know most of the guys forming bands sympatico with my life-stage and they've all already asked once or twice.

But I had a guy ask me to join a Prince tribute just last week. He already knows I'm not looking for any more bands, he doesn't know where to go or who to ask. We are rare enough. All I have to do is post on my FB (thats linked to 400+ musicians) that I'm looking for a new band and I'd have 10 request to check them out before the end of the first day.

And I'm not even that good ... lol!

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

the loudest thing on the stage....It will never change
Quit the band.

Well, if you are going anyway, before you quit...

Go to Guitar Center.

Purchase pitch shifter pedal on spec.

When guitarist is not looking, patch pedal into his line.

Set pedal to 100% wet.

Use expression pedal to intermittently alter guitar pitch to random intervals.

Enjoy this last night with the band.

Return pedal to GC. :/

Soundmen reserve the "SUCK" preset on their pitch shifter for singers with an attitude. They route the singer's voice through the pitch shifter to shift the pitch up, route the processed signal to their monitor, singer sings flat to compensate, route the unprocessed flat singer to FOH, band scratches their heads wondering why the crowd is booing them.

If you want to quit the band, quit and be done with it.

If you don't want to quit the band, be polite but emphatic that you do not want his amp there. If he does not change the placement, keep moving his amp until he gets it. And if he doesn't, leave.

If you want to be a smart-ass, start using a really loud keyboard amp and place it in a place that seriously inconveniences him, and hit really high piercing notes that will make him sterile. :D

Indeed it was. I may on occasion be a snarky bastard but I'm not destructive.

Yes, I totally got that and understood it as such.

I'd be tempted to actually do something bad and irreparable, so my comment was meant as much for myself as the OP.

If jobbing, I'd put up with it for the night then collect my pay and go home. But I'd make the leader aware of the passive-agressive bullshit, and would never refer the guitarist for any work - even if he was a phenom.. If the guy was the leader, I would take other gigs ahead of his anytime I could.

If a band member, I'd have a pointed discussion with the band, ASAP. Heck, for extreme BS that might compromise the gig I've been known to do this on the next available break.. Meanwhile it's likely I'd be done with the act very shortly.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I wouldn't damage his gear, or otherwise stoop to this childish, unprofessional level of behavior.

Nor would I, but I might remove the fuse when no one was looking :laugh:

Or unplug the speaker or a tube...

Another passive-aggressive idea I had was to trip over it, tipping it over. That shit happens when you put things in people's way.

[i don't advocate being unprofessional, either, but it can be fun to think about things you could do if you were. ;) ]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm with 16251, although I would have done it one gig earlier. Pack up and leave. I don't need the work badly enough to play miserable gigs with disrespectful bandmates.

cphollis - had a similar no-keys-band situation here once, long ago. Venue didn't call us back for a year. They also found out what it cost to hire a soundman to replace me. I think they cleared 9 bucks each.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I wouldn't damage his gear, or otherwise stoop to this childish, unprofessional level of behavior.

Nor would I, but I might remove the fuse when no one was looking :laugh:

Or unplug the speaker or a tube...

Another passive-aggressive idea I had was to trip over it, tipping it over. That shit happens when you put things in people's way.

[i don't advocate being unprofessional, either, but it can be fun to think about things you could do if you were. ;) ]

If we're going for childish, another fun idea is to put all your beer on top of the amp. :D

If we're going for childish, another fun idea is to put all your beer on top of the amp.
Get a pitcher ... and a few glasses.

Sounds like an upstage. This is a situation where the so called guitarist requires a therapist. He or She really hates you being an over-all better, more talented and more deserving player. He is unable to deal with that and in his mind he feels that by placing his amp in front of you, that the audience will believe that the sounds you emulate are actually being created by him and therefore he should be the center of attention and sound. This is a common therapeutic condition of guitarists. Suggest this to him as you seek a higher plane.

Musicale

how about you just move it after he sets it there? I've moved more than one amp that was obstructing my chi. it spurred a compromise agreement that was good for all.

perhaps tell him that the way he constantly puts his amp in your way is going to result in your quitting - see if that is his purpose or not?

I'm with several, keyboardists who play professionally and show up, and have pro gear are in demand. I'm in San Diego (CA), I get offers all the time from bands. Offers slowed down only because I now know most of the guys forming bands sympatico with my life-stage and they've all already asked once or twice.

But I had a guy ask me to join a Prince tribute just last week. He already knows I'm not looking for any more bands, he doesn't know where to go or who to ask. We are rare enough. All I have to do is post on my FB (thats linked to 400+ musicians) that I'm looking for a new band and I'd have 10 request to check them out before the end of the first day.

And I'm not even that good ... lol!

Got another unsolicited offer from a band here today. I already know their set so I said I'd sub in at an upcoming gig as a favor, and they're already talking future ... Haven't even played with them, don't even know if they've even heard me or not. They just know the couple bands I do play with ... They are ecstatic I'm available.

Find a group you're welcomed as a brother and have fun. Life's too short and we don't get paid enough ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Archived