Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitarist's amp under my keyboard stand!

Ledbetter

The lead guitarist in a band I'm in is also the sound man. He constantly sticks his big Fender amp right under my stand, claiming that he has no choice due to the presence of the mixer. Last week he did it even after I told him explicitly not to do so and stood in the spot until he left. When I came back from changing my shirt, there was that amp again. I literally have to climb over it to get to my place behind the keyboards. There are, of course, other places on stage the amp could go.

I'm so fed up, I'm about to quit the band. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm so fed up, I'm about to quit the band. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Based on this short explanation of yours, the guy seems like he is being a jerk . Quit the band and join one where you are more appreciated. The fact that he did it behind your back after you left is the clincher. :mad:

:nopity:

That is simply an unacceptable level of disrespect between two members of an organization who are supposed to be trying to work together. He is essentially telling you that no matter what, what he wants is more important than anything you say, do or want.

I wouldn't damage his gear, or otherwise stoop to this childish, unprofessional level of behavior. But I would ask you to please show my post to him. I have no interest in calling him names or degrading into nonsense. But he should realize his behavior and narcissism is so unprofessional as to warrant being published using full names to forewarn other musicians. Musicians who behave like this in my circles here in the Bay Area are called out and named, so that working pros can politely avoid all working contact with those who don't play well with others.

Finally, I would discuss this, in public, with every other person in the band AT THE SAME TIME. Discuss, as in, simply elucidate the reasons you are leaving the band, and will be warning any local musicians you respect to avoid this situation and band at all cost.

Tim

I have already thought about the things you all have said. I wanted confirmation , I guess. He sets up the P.A. and feels entightled to dictate stage layout. I've never had anyone do this before, or even seen it done. I set up my Apex stand so my keyboards are about a foot from the drum kit, so I can get in and out. He considers this an empty part of he stage just right for tucking a big a Fender amp in. Open-backed, about the loudest thing on the stage.

It will never change, so I guess I have to make a choice. Something better will come along, and I'm kinda feeling like a brief hiatus. Clean up the home studio and sell some things. Many many thanks.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

There are, of course, other places on stage the amp could go.

My first thought when I read this was, where it could go would make him walk a bit funny.

:whistle:

Agree with the others. Quit the band.

the loudest thing on the stage....It will never change
Quit the band.

Well, if you are going anyway, before you quit...

Go to Guitar Center.

Purchase pitch shifter pedal on spec.

When guitarist is not looking, patch pedal into his line.

Set pedal to 100% wet.

Use expression pedal to intermittently alter guitar pitch to random intervals.

Enjoy this last night with the band.

Return pedal to GC. :/

All workplaces need to operate in an environment of open and honest courteous communication, mutual respect, and professionalism.

If you've made your feelings clear and the guitarist continues to behave in a fashion that is unacceptable to you, then I agree with the others, it's time to find a new work environment.

I've seen and been in similar situations.

No matter what you do they're going to front you. In big and little personal ways.

Declare the situation with other people/witnesses around.

This person will never lose an argument in their mind so don't argue.

Leave.

And really what Tim said. Voice of reason he is.

Public notice is warranted here.

This is bullying. Not acceptable. Ever.

John

Just place a big mug of beer on top of his amp. It's only a matter of time.

And Yes... I am destructive. And it feels soooo gooood!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

This guitar player is the worst kind of Schmuck.

Like others have said, call him out publicly, but keep the upper hand. Don't lower yourself to his level.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

If it was under my keyboard stand I don't know how I could get through the night without getting my foot tangled in the power cord. I also like Piktor's idea of plugging a pitch shift into his effects loop.

One irritant would be to find something that emits a LOT of radio interference that the amp will pick up.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I wouldn't be in a band where it's not an "all for one, one for all" team situation...unless I was a pro that needed the work, which I'm not. I have been crunched against other gear on small stages, but we all work together to find a way to make it ok for everyone....some two bit band boss dictating where everything should go? Nope.

Your post does remind me of one *really* small stage where the guitarist's marshall head and cab had to be right in front of my stand. From the front it looked like I was playing some kind of Marshall console unit. That same stage I have a cymbal literally hanging over the end of my keyboard, and had to test whether it would hit the keyboard when struck...

As it is we are reducing stage volume and reducing the size and even the existence of stage amps...our guitarist has now gone amp-less with a sans amp unit that sounds incredible. I use in-ears so I don't care how loud it is on stage, but the nicer places we play tend to want things quieter these days, and lower stage volume is where that starts.

Sounds good to me also. I tend to be upfront on all things band related and would set this straight from the start without being too shitty. I had a sax player that put his strap that has a metal end on it and he kept putting it on my new Kronos and i told him after the song that the metal would scratch my keyboard and he did it again and i threw it on the dance floor after he did it again. He never put the strap on my Kronos again. I am one of the keyboard players that i feel like i am just important as anyone else in the band and do not expect second class treatment. Just my 02 cents.

Dude you are a keyboardist. Bands are a dime a dozen.

I suck and I get band offers all the time. This week it was 2 offers a Blues band that I think needs better vocals and a Motown tribute act may turn out to be a really good gig.

If California is close to what it is like here you can be in a new band before the end of June... easy.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Bottom line....

You are a keyboardist.

There are not that many of us.

We are not drummers. (Well, I'm also a drummer.)

We are not guitarists.

We are the rare breed.

We don't look for bands, bands look for us.

If you can play and you have equipment, you can find another band.

Life is too short for you to waste your time dealing with someone like this.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

If it was a guitar amp with a solid back then it shouldn't really be a problem. Unfortunately, most guitar amps are open in the back.

Unless you dislike the members in the band, I would demand he sticks foam or something in back of amp before quitting. Also, if you're playing large stages and he still feels the need to place it there then screw em all.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

If it really is underfoot, a well timed kick (like during a guitar solo)does wonders for the reverb tank.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

If it was a guitar amp with a solid back then it shouldn't really be a problem. Unfortunately, most guitar amps are open in the back.

Unless you dislike the members in the band, I would demand he sticks foam or something in back of amp before quitting. Also, if you're playing large stages and he still feels the need to place it there then screw em all.

that was going to be my suggestion. At times it's necessary for an amp to be closer than you want due to how the setup is. I will take something and put it between the back of the amp and me as a buffer. Bag I carry my speaker in, soft keyboard case, whatever you have.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

The lead guitarist in a band I'm in is also the sound man.

That's all the needed to read. RUN! :pop:

Well, if you are going anyway, before you quit...

Go to Guitar Center.

Purchase pitch shifter pedal on spec.

When guitarist is not looking, patch pedal into his line.

Set pedal to 100% wet.

Use expression pedal to intermittently alter guitar pitch to random intervals.

Enjoy this last night with the band.

Return pedal to GC. :/

Very immature. I love it! :love:

Seriously, though, if anyone treated me like that, I'd start packing up my equipment and walk out. Life is too short for that sort of petty nonsense.

The point about keyboardists being very much in demand is quite true, especially half-decent ones with reasonable gear and no attitude. I get invitations to join new bands on a regular basis. Wish I had time to check them all out, but -- no.

A short story? One of the bands I play with had a gig that I couldn't make, but they still wanted to play anyway. I warned them "you're not going to like how it sounds without keys" but I was ignored by the lead guitarist/vocalist who really wanted to play the gig.

One of the other musicians told me later it was a painful gig, and that they sounded completely lame, "like dishwater" and they'd never do that again.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Tell him you can't hear yourself correctly when he places the amp there...if you told him twice and this was the 3rd time...I'd think of getting out. I hate that, my tolerance for loud guitar sounds has diminished as I've grown older...that close, even more so!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived