Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kraftwerk Loses 19 Year Battle Over Unlicensed Sample

Ed A.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's in Germany.

Established legal precedent in the US is very different. The US courts ruled that if you sample anything from a copyrighted work, get permission from the copyright holders first before releasing it for commercial sale. No exceptions.

That's good news for Kraftwerk given their connection to Detroit techno.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I just listened to both and I'm confused as to what was lifted. The generic 1/16 tishy hat? The most prominent rhythmic element in the Sabrina Setlur track is the clave - which is not in the Kraftwerk track at all.

Here's an interesting case making it's way through the US courts right now:

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

for those of you who don't keep track of this stuff, Justin Bieber's Sorry is has been a huge hit - 5x Platinum. What really makes the track work is that little two bar wordless female vocal hook that leads the song off, and repeats throughout. Producer Skrillex claims that he recorded his own singer to do the part, and is not responsible for royalties.

I think he's full of shit, and just got caught with his pants down. This is probably one of those that will be settled out of court for an undisclosed amount of cash - keeping it nice and quiet.

This is what happens when record companies choose talentless artists for their pretty looks.

I looked her up- she doesn't even have the "pretty looks" part.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

This seems to be Skrillex explaining himself:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXkOWgE7wPI

Saw this on the news. He seems to be saying "I didn't copy the recording, I created a counterfeit duplicate." To me that is no better. Music is art. If someone makes an exact copy of Vincent van Gogh's Starry Night and signs their name to it, it is wrong. Why is music any different?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

That's interesting, because I've also heard Skrillex in interview when the song came out say that the vocal riff was Beiber manipulated with pitch shifting. So, yeah I suspect he'll have to pay up for a blatant rip.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

This seems to be Skrillex explaining himself:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXkOWgE7wPI

Makes sense to me. He precisely duplicates the sound and the phrase. His phrase is five notes. The White Hinterland is four notes. That last note is tricky with the bend. The fact that he can reverse engineer that exact sound/phrase from a vocal line that he owns makes his explanation all the more believable. If he had the vocalist do this WITHOUT the pitch shifting, I would actually be more suspect.

Who the hell is White Hinterland anyway? I think she honestly believes it was sampled. I don't. The phrases are very similar and they'll probably throw some money her way because of the similarity of the phrase.

I've sampled over a dozen electro-mechanical keyboards. So have others. It would be easy to point to a couple of notes or samples in mine and claim they sound exactly like Scarbee or someone else. Thing is I have all the master Protool files and can demonstrate how I recorded and edited everything. I can prove that every single sample is original.

But it's easy to hate Bieber/Skrillex and root for the underdog.

Busch.

I agree - it doesn't sound sampled to me. In theory, re-creating it could still be problematic, assuming (a) the original 4-note phrase is distinctive enough to warrant protection in the first instance, and (b) the Skrillex 5-note phrase is similar enough to be deemed a violation.

I once read an op-ed piece whose author suggested that a prominent activist "looked for synthetic offense and then demanded compensation for it." Excessive weight given to trivialities just furthers the litigious idiocy. That "sampled" element sounds like part of the base library of every drum machine ever made to me. Its like shooting a missile at a fly, in my view. If someone has been blatantly ripped, then of course there is a case, but living in a huge cloud of cross-cultural connections as we do, it seems a bit petty to clamp down so hard over a small snip of a drum loop or a brief, tip-of-the-hat melodic quote. If someone nabbed a very clear, unique snort noise from a Zappa disc without asking, yep, POW, that's grounds for a theft charge, but a modest quote here and there is an homage, not a rip. If a sample nods to a known work briefly without adulterating said work, doesn't that broaden awareness of it rather than harming it? People deserve to be paid, but in this case, I think the court addressed the INTENT properly.

Eh, fook all that. :blah: I artfully sidestep it by creating my own goods, excepting a few of the more riveting loops I've applied from products I BOUGHT. Its a shame to see so little grace and sense of humor in the matter at times, but I didn't take all of this up just to copy others to begin with. I'm sure I can make do. :keys:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Archived