Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT (maybe): Doorbell rings when I play through my QSC K10

piano39

Here's a new one. I usually just just use my K10 speaker on gigs. Occasionally, I bring it to my family room and set it up for various reasons, maybe with my Motif hooked up, maybe with an iPod.

I noticed that the door bell rings, on random intervals, when I do this. I have a wireless doorbell system in my house. Is it possible that the doorbell responds to some audio frequency? Or is this some weirdo fluke with the K10? (the K10 would have to be transmitting some higher frequency to trigger the doorbell).

Anybody else have this happen?

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's really weird. Can you throw a small-value (.01uf?) safety cap across the power input to your doorbell?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

c37584a91b3ca11b5c4d3d774ba989a3.jpg
i

A 2:30 am door knock and you are not gonna tell us the story????

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

That's really weird. Can you throw a small-value (.01uf?) safety cap across the power input to your doorbell?

Since the doorbells are wireless, and battery powered, I doubt that adding bypass caps would have any effect. Also, Since I have two doorbells at opposite ends of the house, and both ring when this occurs, my suspicion is that the K10 speaker is transmitting some RF. I don't have any clue on what frequency a doorbell button operates.

Hey- maybe I should replace my doorbell system with a synth. What d'ya think would work--- Full on analog, or digitally modeled doorbell synth?

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I wasn't thinking of this as a bypass cap, rather a snubber, to eliminate stray RF coming in from the power source acting as an antenna. I guess it's really the same thing.

Given these are wireless, though, that makes this significantly more difficult to solve........

I have a wireless doorbell, too, never had a problem, but then again, the batteries have been been dead for years. You can't get close enough to my house to use the doorbell without the dogs going nuts. :D

You could eliminate the neighbour hypothesis by hiding the transmitter.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Is it possible that the doorbell responds to some audio frequency? Or is this some weirdo fluke with the K10? (the K10 would have to be transmitting some higher frequency to trigger the doorbell).

The K10 uses a switching power supply, so more likely it'd be RF noise emanating from that. But that'd still be pretty weird. How far is the K10 from either the doorbell receiver or the transmitter?

I once bought a wireless doorbell/reciever. Didn't know my neighbor recently bought the same one. Anyway I tested the doorbell system before installing - little did I know that every time I pushed the button, my neighbors bell went off - he kept looking outside and of course no one was there! We realized it later. Solved by changing the transmit and receive frequency using the privacy codes that most of these systems have the prevent just this sort of problem. Most companies use a doorbell frequency somewhere between the 300MHz to 433MHz range. If you change the privacy setting, it may change the frequency enough to rid the interference from the K10.

Archived