Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

help!!!.......i have a problem with my MIDI

Hello ladies and gents...

i have a serious problem with MIDI on my computer....say i have my midi keyboard hooked up to my computer's soundcard, and i have REASON open. when i play the notes on my keyboard, i hear the notes being played thru REASON, but i also hear some very low keys being played simultaneously!!!!! i am not pressing these keys....they are very low notes, YET I HEAR THEM AND WHEN I RECORD, SURE ENOUGH THOSE LOW NOTES GET RECORDED. ALSO, sometimes i will press A KEY ON MY KEYBOARD, and i will hear (from my computer's speakers) another DIFFERENT note being played.

another thing i noticed is that sometimes when i play notes simultaneously, i hear a longer-than-usual sustain. A sustain which i did not PLAY!!!

So, basically, i hear notes that i did not play (low notes), I HEAR sustains that i did not play, and sometimes i hear A DIFFERENT NOTE being played for a certain key.

IS IT MY MIDI CABLE THAT IS AT FAULT?? or is MY COMPUTER MESSED UP??? btw i have a SOUNDBLASTER EXTIGY, and this is the first time i've had this problem.I KNOW FOR A FACT that my midi keyboard is fine, cuz i tried another midi keyboard and had the SAME PROBLEM.

oh yeah, and also when i open up FRUITYLOOPS, the MIDI doesnt even work!!!!!!!! So, in Reason, the midi is messed up, and in FRUITYLOOPS the MIDI doesnt work...

does anyone know what is wrong???

any help is appreciated.

thanks. and peace.

"Los niños escuchan el 'rap'...que les daña el cerebro"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, it's hard to troubleshoot a problem like that remotely. It's always a good idea to swap cables not necessarily because it is the problem (it doesn't sound like it in this case) but because if it IS the problem, checking it takes no time and so the problem will be solved fast.

Is there any chance your keyboard is putting out aftertouch data and clogging the data stream? It sounds in some ways like the sound card can't keep up with the MIDI stream. It might not be a bad idea to see if there are updated drivers for the card on the web.

Mr. Anderton, thanks for responding...

I dont think its a driver issue, cuz i do have the latest drivers for that SOUNDBLASTER EXTIGY card. should i uninstall the drivers though, and then resintall it??

Also, i dont think my keyboard is at fault, because i also hooked up a different keyboard, and the problem persisted.

Also, for swapping MIDI cables, this is the only one i've got, and i dont know too many people that have midi cables. :(

any other suggestions?

Originally posted by ElGenius1:

oh yeah, and also when i open up FRUITYLOOPS, the MIDI doesnt even work!!!!!!!! So, in Reason, the midi is messed up, and in FRUITYLOOPS the MIDI doesnt work...

Weird stuff... Since you mention FruityLoops, I guess you're on a PC. So, if that's not working and Reason is acting all funny... (not that's anything funny 'bout being messed up), I'd probably recheck the drivers and MIDI Setup in your computer.

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Im guessing you have another midi sound module that is being triggered and you dont realize it.

Sometimes I have my synth preset for certain midi channels to be off.

Sometimes the preset gets corrupted or changed inadvertantly and some sound preset comes through on a channel I didnt intend causing one midi channel to trigger two sound modules. Depending on the patch the notes may sustain longer. Depending on the key range of the patch certain notes will play - others will not.

Is this a possibility given your system configuration?

Check the midi channel settings in your software and/or sound modules.- Is "any" a channnel setting you may have inadvertantly set to trigger?

Been there.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

SOUNDBLASTER EXTIGY
I'd really investigate the driver aspect some more. Creatives drivers for the audigy/extigy stuff was really screwed up. The actually had to redesign the Audigy, hence the Audigy 2 because they couldn't solve driver issues. The older extigy was basically an audigy but fancier. How new is your soundcard? Have you run that setup in Reason or Fruity Loops and that keyboard/controller successfully before? I take it your playing a soft synth in Reason and I'd find it hard to believe that the Creative drivers are allowing you latency low enough to do that and have fun. :D

Looking at the SB website it appears this generation of Extigy is a USB unit not a card.

Might throw your info at the creative NG and see

what they think.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

some possibilities:

- Your sound card PCI latency is not properly balanced with other PCI devices on the bus. This is a new thing to me... but fixing it did magic on my PC. Here's a link to some details:

http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=45491

- Your sound card is broken, or the driver is initializing the MIDI UART badly. (Creative products are kind of famous for their terrible drivers and worse customer support)

I'd recommend looking for a USB-based Midi port. I've seen them for under $100.

thanks for responding guys..... :)

yes, the SOUNDBLASTER EXTIGY does connect thru a USB port. i do have the latest drivers for it too.... i guess if the problem persists i'll have to notify the people at soundblaster.

btw, i have run this setup successfully before in Reason using MIDI, this is a new problem to me....

oh, in fruityloops there is an option where you can 'reset settings'......i did just that and MIDI NOW WORKS PERFECTLY!!!!!!! no problems at all.......i'm looking for the same type of thing in Reason, maybe that can solve my problem...

bassix, u got me there.. ;)

Originally posted by ElGenius1:

btw, i have run this setup successfully before in Reason using MIDI, this is a new problem to me....

oh, in fruityloops there is an option where you can 'reset settings'......i did just that and MIDI NOW WORKS PERFECTLY!!!!!!! no problems at all.......i'm looking for the same type of thing in Reason, maybe that can solve my problem...

Good, from your original info I suspected it might be one of the older cards. The latest driver sets seem to be much better and shouldn't be the problem. I've got a USB MP3+ I use as a headphone amp and the drivers work fine with it. It does have midi though.

Does Reason have some kind of Panic/reset function?

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

Archived