Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Well I Did It............

My deal for an RMI368 at Xmas fell through when the owner discovered rust!

So here is my "new" toy - sold to me by a vintage hire company and only hired 5 or 6 times to studios - mint :cool:

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/RMI%20368X/IMG_1371_zpsory1mhbl.jpg

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
only hired 5 or 6 times to studios

As many requests as that? Wow.

:keynana:

Seriously, congrats I think...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Ouch - tough room! Well I'm not a big EP guy, but I am happy for you. Always fun to get new gear - Have fun with it!

Cheers!

Yes - these guys probably don't feel the love! :laugh:

I have come close a couple of times - having "played" this for the last ten years as a sample, it is good to get the real thing and hear it in the "flesh" and press the buttons.

Like all the old vintage gear it just doesn't sound the same sampled.

I also tried out an M400 Mellotron which also seemed so "organic".

Sadly my memory of playing the M400 when I was 16 was tempered by the spongey keyboard action and distinct lack of notes!

I think I would only be tempted by a Mk2 or the new Mk 7.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Had one in the 70's and gigged it atop my Hammond CV...sometimes with a MiniMoog on top of it....made a wooden frame for it to sit on and removed the legs..ran it through a Marshall half stack.

BTW, it's what DR. John used I believe on the intro/tune 'Right Place/Wrong Time'....it's clav sound I ran through a WaWa for 'Rocky Mountain Way'.

Enjoy and good luck,lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

This is one I will NEVER lust after.... NEVER!

(I just have very bad memories of one being available for me to practice on by my piano teacher in the 70s.... Absolutely hated it then, and still do... Couldn't wait to get my lessons done on a real piano...)

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Rocky Mountain Instruments Baby!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Rocky Mountain Instruments Baby!

That's what I thought too. Actually Rocky Mount Instruments, a division of the Allen Organ Company. Which I also didn't know.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I bought one shortly after seeing Steve Winwood using it at the Blind Faith concert, in which we had front row seats. It was Aug. 3 1969 at Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis, MO. to be exact. :)

I think I used the RMI for a few years before moving on to something else. Pretty certain it was that Baldwin Electropiano.

They certainly are hip looking. But, I could never get into the action. Just hated it. However, with the right selection of outboard pedals, I'll bet you could have some real fun (hint - now you've got a reason to get a bunch of moogerfoogers!)

I once sat in with a band in the 70's that had one. I could not atand that action either... But I play Mellotrons, so what do I know?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I have never played one either and am sure I passed them over in the used instruments at Mid City Music in the late eighties, but congratulations!

I like the look of the vintage gear, its simplicity. Enjoy!

:thu::)

Congrats on the RMI.

I saw a model 300B for sale not ago ago and was very tempted to buy. I think they sound great for what they are and try not to get too affected by KC members negative experiences.

L, that's a beautiful find from Synth History. RMI was ahead of its time as a keyboard maker and obviously struggled with the Limited Processor Syndrome common aross the field. I heard a few *artifacts*, ahem... Does that "matter?" Hell no! I got to sit for several hours and play a Harmonic Synthesizer, circa 1976 or so. I knew synth-diddly back then, but even as a starter pianist, I knew I had my hands on something special. A fine experience. I feel pretty sure you WON'T be taking that to live shows, but I sure hope it gets well-applied in your studio work. You and your band have huge brass ones for making Genesis breathe so purely. I'm a Tony Banks adherent of many years, so I know you're doing it right. :thu:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

L, that's a beautiful find from Synth History. RMI was ahead of its time as a keyboard maker and obviously struggled with the Limited Processor Syndrome common aross the field. I heard a few *artifacts*, ahem... Does that "matter?" Hell no! I got to sit for several hours and play a Harmonic Synthesizer, circa 1976 or so. I knew synth-diddly back then, but even as a starter pianist, I knew I had my hands on something special. A fine experience. I feel pretty sure you WON'T be taking that to live shows, but I sure hope it gets well-applied in your studio work. You and your band have huge brass ones for making Genesis breathe so purely. I'm a Tony Banks adherent of many years, so I know you're doing it right. :thu:

Thanks David and All!

No, it will be sitting in my studio and although I agree the action is iffy I have played much worse! :cool:

Tell me that you didn't play anything other than TLLDOB the first time you got it set up...

You're close! Carpet Crawl with the dreaded Banks hand over hand technique.

Then LLDOB :)

There's no arguing that they certainly gets that early Genesis Sound.

[video:youtube]

Thats the one I had arranged to buy - sadly rusted beyond repair now :(

No sustain pedal?

Cheers, Mike.

You're right! I need to find one or modify it.

I've trying the Allen Organ Co first.............

You have prior knowledge, clearly!

Archived