Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poll: New D or Vintage D

Bill H.

New Minimoog D or Vintage D - Which would you rather own?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. New Minimoog D or Vintage D - Which would you rather own?

All the nitpick comes from people doing side-by-side audio comparisons on youtube.

I hate youtube for this.

It´s a podium for people not really being connected to music, instead for sound only, while believing that´s music.

Soundcloud and others too ...

I listen to "beats" and "tracks".

What the hell is that ?

Songs ?

No !

It´s less than we called a "playback" in the past,- not worth a copyright.

No melody/theme, bad timing, no skills, cannot read music and so on,- but nitpick about sound of gear even they will never have the chance to play in bands where exactly those skills are the BASICS.

SEQUENCER "musicians", not being able to put out any pro-music w/o a machine organizing and correcting their "input".

MOOG and most other companies now rely on exactly THOSE customers.

We´re living in the age of programmers, not musicians.

Pro-programmers, ALL mastering the software they bought and use to replace playing skills, NEED differentiation from other programmers by SOUND ...

The companies have to survive ...

We, being used to differentiation by musical skills,- need to survive too !

So, make your wise decisions.

The new MOOG Minimoog D is more or less a marketing trick as is the KARP Odyssey as well as the DSI Sequential Prophet-6 and DSI OB-6.

It´s the "new wave" of analog synths and the companies try out how much customers are willing to pay for and how much.

Doesn´t mean the instruments doesn´t sound or work good, but I recognize the companies do the same they did in the past,- give you p.ex. a Oberheim w/ 6 voices 1st before deciding for 8 voices and offer just only one LFO before offering a 2nd one and 8 voices w/ the upcoming model.

MOOG does the same, offering some CV-outs (extremely cheapo mod b.t.w.) and a 2nd LFO and ENV-1 OSC #? modulation, then leaves potential buyers in the dust w/ the routing expected to get best results in the sense "buy a Voyager if you want more".

Well, for the money, we already CAN buy a Voyager.

They simply rely on the "lack of knowledge" youngsters even the developers come from our era.

The whole game I knew from the beginning of the appearence of synths starts all new.

It also did the same way when CDs were the king of the hill and record companies were able to sell their, formerly vinyl, catalog all new,- then the DVD came ...

Now vinyl is back and hip again.

I also recognized compact cassettes are hip again at youngsters ...

New innovations ? Not really !

New market ? YES !

A.C.

Blah, blah. Sounds good on paper but doesn't match reality. At least not what I've seen. The young players I know can't remotely afford the new Minimoog or Prophet 6 or any Oberheim. It doesn't matter because they don't resonate with them like it does the older crowd. If you listened to electronics music from the last 10 - 15 years it's not like you're hearing those synths heavily anyway. These guys have sub $1000 synths (RAs/VAs) when playing live. For cutting tracks they use those synths plus Eurorack and tons of software.

The New Minimoog D is for geriatric players almost exclusively. They are the only ones with the discretionary income available to plop down that kind of money on a synth with the kind of insane limitations that this one has, not for any real need but because it looks and sounds cool. They either owned one in their youth or always wanted one and now can finally afford to buy it.

Young players buy the Minilogue, dinosaurs buy the New Minimoog D.

Busch.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted new if I had to choose between old or new but in reality for the much coin I go with a polysynth or VA poly. Minimoog is easy enough to replicate for live play if you can program a convex envelope attack and the get decay right. Recursive modulation is not that difficult if the machine is deep enough.

Heck I would rather carry a Prophet 08 in the gig rig than a MiniMoog. It does more stuff and in terms of leads it meets what I call the 80% rule.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The New Minimoog D is for geriatric players almost exclusively. They are the only ones with the discretionary income available to plop down that kind of money on a synth with the kind of insane limitations that this one has, not for any real need but because it looks and sounds cool.

hey, I resemble that remark . ;):wave:

:nopity:

I hope Moog see this and maybe think about some kind of lengthy production run, and by lengthy production run I mean long enough for me to find some spare cash!

If Moog Music does stumble upon this thread, at the very least it should be encouraging that they did the right thing by resuming production.

And discouraging to those who hoped to make a profit buying and selling vintage D's.

Wow, it's a blowout win for New so far, 43-5!

As of today, it's 50-5! When I started this poll, I suspected that more of the forum would prefer a new Minimoog to an old one. But I had no idea it would be this lopsided!

I've seen several arguments as to why a relic like the Minimoog D is of little use anymore, but to many of us there's an emotional connection to these instruments that just can't be ignored. Although the price is a good $1000 too high, I'll probably pick one up - after the initial feeding frenzy wears off.

Wow, it's a blowout win for New so far, 43-5!

I guess the 43 don´t own a vintage Minimoog D and/or don´t have the connection, knowledge/skills to get it repaired/serviced for cheap.

The other 5 have EVERYTHING mentioned above.

Well, it's 51 to 5 now. Honestly, I've been surprised the poll has been so lopsided. I thought most people here would go for the vintage one.

I suspect a high percentage of those 51 voted for the new D because of:

Velocity

Aftertouch

MIDI

CV outs

Yes, I'm one of those 51 votes. Not that I feel like I need to defend my vote to anyone but I can always just go to Markyboard's house and listen to his Minimoog to be educated on why my vote was so "wrong". :laugh:

Not that I feel like I need to defend my vote to anyone but I can always just go to Markyboard's house and listen to his Minimoog to be educated on why my vote was so "wrong". :laugh:

You couldn't be further from the truth Paolo. You'll see.. as soon as you're served with the restraining order.

:bang:

:roll:

Not that I feel like I need to defend my vote to anyone but I can always just go to Markyboard's house and listen to his Minimoog to be educated on why my vote was so "wrong". :laugh:

You couldn't be further from the truth Paolo. You'll see.. as soon as you're served with the restraining order.

:bang:

:roll:

Just wanted to say nice new avatar, man. :cool:

I am totally rethinking this now...

F**k nostalgia, How about a Prophet 12?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I voted new because I had a Minimoog D back in the late 70's (SN 6000's, smooth white wheels), and really miss it. Voyager just didn't do it for me, and when I recently played a Model D in a synth shop, there was that sound. I won't go vintage, because I don't have an EE degree.

So, OB-6, and now MiniMoog...if they reissue the Jupiter 8 I may have to declare moral and financial bankruptcy. :pop:

Young players buy the Minilogue, dinosaurs buy the New Minimoog D.

Busch.

I don't know, man. I've seen a number of Model Ds turn up on stage with new bands, along with the other classic keyboards. The bedroom producers won't buy it but the young hot shots might.

I'd never pay what some folks are asking for a vintage Minimoog. If I didn't already have these I'd look hard at the new one. The Voyager gets more use in the studio but the Model D just feels right.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2s1w6dl.jpg

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Archived