Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A homer out of the park.

Dave Ferris and a small interested coterie of organists:

I have been playing a clonewheel with LHB now for over 3 years on a weekly blues jam gig

To say the gig is frustrating is an understatement :

too loud, shaky meter, from my pov, considerable self centeredness, etc etc

I think in 3 years I have played a dozen or so killer blues solos ( usually in favored keys - so sue me )

I am such "a wild and crazy guy", living a fairly imbalanced life, where music is my main thrill; these gigs are extra challenging- if I dont hit ball out of the park, its a lot of frustration before my next opportunity.

About a year ago, I played a gig with organ and my historically endless problems with gear came up..amp just broke on me.. I had to go in the car and grab another speaker , in mid set!!

Furious, I returned to an awaiting small but happy crowd and played my f ing ass off, ( Blues is a great medium for that btw ) I was so angry as I played, I started to play very forceful bass lines that would not be denied, or compromised by the usually very bossy and too loud band leader guitarist . I do not recall what I played bass line wise, but there was real creativity going on.. Not harmony led, but BASS line led ideas. My point here, is B3 clones with LHB, are great for coming up with new creative ideas, including in the bass.

Well that was a long year ago.. but last night, I finally had another maybe better set, maybe my best set in some respects in my life.. I was in scorched earth mode.. not exactly angry just a lot of electrical energy that HAD to emerge.

Man that s*** is gratifying. And the Blues, and The B3 with LHB are great ways to let it rip.. no worries about funny even ill considered chord changes... just Blues Mode all the way=

Blues= less thought, more groove, more blues, not even be bop!

Blues, LHB, B3, are still a timeless avenue for a fine musician... it will always be this way.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look out, boys, he's gonna BLOW!! :pop: Its both a great and awful story. I've been there and sometimes the burst of brilliance you did not expect to come from your addled personal head is part of the fuel for the next venture and beyond. One sign of a good band is that when a member goes half-mad in concert that way, they lay back and let the magic happen, hoping it doesn't end in a Keith Moon moment. You earned it 'cause you made it burn, through the woodshedding & discipline it took to build that particular house. Lord help you; you are an Artist. :wacko:

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

"Wacko ****** *" was once a nickname of mine..

And this... we played Joe Zawinul'a "Mercy Mercy" last night, but in G

That song tended to bore me until last night, I think we boogalooed it a bit

It was the best version for me in my lifetime.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

... Or insane... Like me.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

... Or insane... Like me.

Ok, I'll see that "insane" and raise you

When I was a kid I mistakenly thought a man in Pasadena CA around 1956 or so, had been "the mad bomber" from Pasadena.. so the kids called me Pasadena! I later looked it up, and I think my facts were not straight.. but a few of us used to make little pipe bombs ( we were kids, they could not possibily shrapnel so stay calm, Mummy will give you your warm milk soon )

Just would make a big flare of flame

We put them in a wonderful place.. in a big furnace on our property.. so absolutely safe.. and the pressure of the gasses simply pushed open the end of the ill conceived ( thank goodness!) copper pipe.

So I am now officially Pasadena. But DaveHammond has to own "Insane" lol

Just looked it up, there was a mad bomber in my youth but from NYC area not pasadena CA

George P. Metesky

Born November 2, 1903

Died May 23, 1994 (aged 90)

Waterbury, Connecticut

Other names Mad Bomber

Criminal charge 47 charges: attempted murder, damaging a building by explosion, maliciously endangering life, and carrying concealed weapons in violation of New York State's Sullivan Law.

Criminal penalty Committed to Matteawan State Hospital for the Criminally Insane

Criminal status Transferred to Creedmoor Psychiatric Center in 1973, released the same year

Motive Anger and resentment about a workplace injury

Conviction(s) Not tried: declared legally insane and incompetent to stand trial

And this... we played Joe Zawinul'a "Mercy Mercy" last night, but in G

still a tribute to Joe (see my avatar) no matter what key. :2thu:

This past Thursday night I saw a little concert and Roy McCurdy ( 80 years young ) the drummer on Mercy Mercy with Cannon, was playing drums.. So wonderful to see him and the bass player who played bass on Arsenio Hall in the 90's John B Williams .

Two great cats.

Look out, boys, he's gonna BLOW!! :pop: Its both a great and awful story. I've been there and sometimes the burst of brilliance you did not expect to come from your addled personal head is part of the fuel for the next venture and beyond. One sign of a good band is that when a member goes half-mad in concert that way, they lay back and let the magic happen, hoping it doesn't end in a Keith Moon moment. You earned it 'cause you made it burn, through the woodshedding & discipline it took to build that particular house. Lord help you; you are an Artist. :wacko:

Lord have mercy another artist "security security "

Archived