Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: PC Generated Noise and Death of a Barking Chicken

Markyboard

I was having extraneous noise from my PC bleeding into my audio chain and out thru the speakers. This noise was most prominent when mousing around and moving windows or booting up my audio software. Any motion type graphics on web pages added to the cacophony. Most annoying was this periodic ( about every 3 seconds)very short hi pitched bleep that sounded like a chicken being choked off as soon as it starting barking. A couple of years ago I squelched a lot of this type noise by insulating my RME Audio card from the PC chassis with duct tape. But lately that hash (bleeps, squinks and yes, the new 3 second periodic barking chicken) was causing audio havoc again. I believe adding or changing out equipment tends to reroute those ground loops.

After many hours of troubleshooting and isolation including swapping PC power supplies to no avail and removing all audio and USB connections from the PC to my audio equipment I could here the blips which told me the PC noise was bleeding in through the AC power. I also tried a couple of those hum eliminators on my mixer, PC and monitor switcher. I also plugged my PC into several different outlets - and still no luck. I finally was able to eliminate this noise by removing the metal bracket from my video graphics card. I'm sure this is all ground loop related but finding that ground loop can be quite challenging. BTW it's not the graphics card itself as I swapped in a different card and got the same noise.

Anyway, thought this might help others.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My emphasis studies in EE college were digital electronics so I know my way around these things. Digital interference noise and ground loops are nasty gremlins. One peek at most PC audio systems was all I needed to know that there were going to be problems like this, which is why I stayed OTB.

...that sounded like a chicken being choked off as soon as it starting barking.

There's a joke in there somewhere.

However, nothing I can say could make it any funnier than just using your imagination.

So... let's leave it at that. :laugh::blush:

(But really... Markyboard... Choking the barking Chicken. BWAHAhahahahahaha!)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

CRAP! My chicken is back with a vengence. Only I now realize it's a seagull, not a chicken (any comments Tom? :snax: ). Turned out my RME card cables weren't attached so while I thought I fixed it....

Michael- when you say you're OTB are you using a computer at all and relying on USB, Firewire or Thunder Bolt? I have a RME AES card that interfaces to an external D/A, A/D box. But it's in connecting the 2 together that introduces all the noise. I'm not sure if a USB or even optical interface would alleviate this problem but getting rid of the PCI-E audio card might help.

Archived