Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clonewheel Amplification . Any body use Alto or Harbinger?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have used both as vocal monitors in jobs with supplied PA. I thought the Harbinger was bad and the Alto was much better sounding and a higher quality build. I didn't hear either as a keyboard monitor but I the alto would be my choice.

Why are you zeroing in on those two brands? Price point? Bang for the buck? If price point, what price point are you trying to hit? There are probably better choices for either scenario.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Bang for buck. Both units are well under $300. The EV is $400 most places. Why not spend a little more? And a little more? GAS can lead you on bit by bit that way. Organ is relatively lo fi anyways. I've heard it sound good through a guitar amp. The guitar speaker can flab out on low octaves though. .

FunMachine.

Harbinger and Phonic are junk.

The Altos actually do not suck for the money but if the speakers are going to be the primary voice for your keys I would go with the EVs.

Which clone? If it is purely a clonewheel application a used guitar tube can be killer.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

ALto's get harsh once you start driving them hard. Love my ZLX's for organ

HammondCV,M3,L101,C6,SK1,xk5,Farfisa Combo Compact,RolandVR09,JX8P,vk09,Sound Canvas,CrumarTraveler1,Rhodes suitcase73,Wurly200,HohnerD6,KorgMS20,CasioCZ-101,Yamaha CP25,TX7,mx61,CasioCZ-101,PX110

JBL Eon 610's are $300. I got a pair recently and like them.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

JBL Eon 610's are $300. I got a pair recently and like them.

i actually have one of the 610's. For me the high driver is too reactive to the crackle of the distortion of the vb3 overdrive which is vb3s weak point to me. I otherwise generally like the JBL except for the onboard bluetooth that nobody seems to like and the practically useless eq curves. In the spirit of true GAS creep I'm considering the EVzxa1. 8"driver, 800w, 19lbs!, $499.

FunMachine.

A pair sound very nice. You get better effective low end with a pair. I use ZXA1s if I choose to use speakers. If I were buying today I would probably get the XLX12Ps.

The ZXA1s requires a gain stage before the speaker.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well, if what you indicated above (bang for the buck) is true, the ZLX would be the better choice. The big difference would be the 32 pounds ZLX vs the 19 pounds ZXA1. If you are frequently moving the speaker then 19 pounds is a consideration. If you are not really moving the speaker (it stays in the studio) then the ZLX might be the better choice from a bang for the buck consideration. You would also save $125-150 with the ZLX purchase if the ZXA1 is $499. My two cents...

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I know they are pricey but I use the QSC K8s and love them.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Any body use Alto or Harbinger?

Not even if you paid me.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Actually, I have both Altos and EV gear.

I have a pair of TS110A's I use as monitor wedges - and have pressed them into service as stage amplification a few times when running in stereo (in small rooms.) I have also used them on poles as a small PA. For the money they were a great addition to my gear collection. Cheap and light.

The ZLX12P, however, is absolutely terrific for stage amplification. Really loud and clean. The only thing I don't like about it is the slanted top. You can't rest a mixer or mini-rack safely on it without velcro.

i owned a 15" alto powered monitor briefly , i had read about

it on this forum . i ran my A100 through it with my vent and

when A/B'd against my 122 it sounded quite good , the best i'd

heard in a monitor for organ . problem is , it had no guts , was

rated at 200 watts but diffinately would not be usable for me .

also it screamed cheap , it had a little 5 band EQ that barely

worked at all . i returned it

Archived