Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new love for your old gear ?

hazerkeys

OK - just wondering if anyone else has this happen - I have WAY too much gear (gig rig, home stuff, etc) and just last night noticed the old Roland MVS-1 in the bottom of my rack ( http://www.retrosound.de/The_M-VS1.htm ) - so I midi'd it up to my Kurz and ran thru the patches (playing along with some sequences from my An1x .. ok, that is old too LOL) .. I had a blast and actually liked most of the patches .. realize it is not the friendliest to program, but still fun to mess around with - anyone else ever re-discover some of their dusty gear ??

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sold a piano 2 days ago. I left the family alone to asses it. When the daughter for whom they were buying it was playing, I fell in love with it again. Broke my heart to let it go, but I felt good knowing she loved it also. Routinely when I decide to sell something, I re-discover what intially attracted me to it, through a perspective buyer.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I actually do a better job of choosing gear that I will still love 50 years from now, so it is not a matter for me of falling in love with it again but rather keeping committed to it.

There was one time I had to let a bunch go due to a move to the left coast from the midwest and that broke my heart, but that will never happen again. I will be darn sure to make arrangements for everything if I move again.

Who knows? I may find some of those vintage pieces (Korg, Arp, Farfisa) sitting lonely in a hock or music shop one day and rediscover them.

:)

I actually do a better job of choosing gear that I will still love 50 years from now, so it is not a matter for me of falling in love with it again but rather keeping committed to it.

There was one time I had to let a bunch go due to a move to the left coast from the midwest and that broke my heart, but that will never happen again. I will be darn sure to make arrangements for everything if I move again.

Who knows? I may find some of those vintage pieces (Korg, Arp, Farfisa) sitting lonely in a hock or music shop one day and rediscover them.

I just finished a book on Les Paul. During the 1930s to 1950s he moved around a lot and gave away a lot of stuff instead of dragging them with him. U-Haul didn't exist back then so there was only so much you could pack in the trunk and the back seat. Towards the end of his life, some of those possessions left behind came back to him when friends who passed away left instructions to have them returned to him.

That would be great if it could happen for me, but alas, the person who last had them crossed in January 2011. I am sure his wife would not have known what to do with it all, esspecially since she sold house and moved. I believe I know who may have ended up with all of it, but who knows what he did with it?

I still have the memories which will be enough for now.

Nice story about Les Paul. Perhaps?

About four months ago my Roland MKS70 stopped making sound. I never stopped using it, but there have been long intervals where I give it a break. This time it's because it's not working and I haven't had the inclination yet to open it up and try to see why that might be. However, every time I come back to this unit I fall in love with it all over again. Every patch it has I hand rolled from scratch and it remains the only synth I've ever fully customized in that manner. I don't think I'll ever part with it. In a similar vein is the Alesis QSR which I also still use quite a lot. Unlike the MKS70 all the sounds in this thing are stock and that's fine because I like so many of them just the way they are. There are organ, horn and string sounds in that box that I prefer over my Roland FA-08 and Korg M3.

Carl

I actually do a better job of choosing gear that I will still love 50 years from now... :)

Now wait just a doggone minute!!! I know about how old you are... kinda/maybe!

If you choose gear that you'll love 50 years from now, you'll be 50 years older than you are now! :idea:

You enjoy scaring the children and small aminals, don'tcha, Linda? :)

Yeah... aminals! :puff:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Everytime I get back to the Poly Evolver I'm always intrigued by its filter. I've read many complaints toward the filter sounding anemic (or worse). I love the PE filter, different from a Moog or Prophet 6 but still very unique, musical and way more versatile imo. Tbh I think most people don't get it's power. I was messing with it yesterday and created this patch by splitting the low pass filter across the left and right channels and using the envelope to tame the left side and a bit of velocity to control both left and right. If you mute one side of your stereo channels at a time you'll see what I'm talking about. The 2 analog oscillators are set to square wave with near identical pulse widths so it really is the filter doing all the differentiation.

PEK SPLIT LP FIILTER

Now wait just a doggone minute!!! I know about how old you are... kinda/maybe!

If you choose gear that you'll love 50 years from now, you'll be 50 years older than you are now! :idea:

You enjoy scaring the children and small aminals, don'tcha, Linda? :-)

Yeah... aminals! :puff:

Yup. At the end of this year I will be 60, so when I am 110 I am going to be scaring children, aminals and about everyone else!

Mwahahahahahahaha!

:evil::roll:

Rather old gear: Roland XV5080. It's taken on an adventurous second life in my studio over the past few years.

More recent 'old' gear: original Kronos 61. One of those situations where I fall in love again, and again - at random.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I had a similar situation yesterday.

Was looking at my Novation Ultranova, and thinking that I hadn't played it in over 2 months now that my Roland FA06 was taking up all my playing time. The FA has an excellent SN synth engine, so maybe I could turn the Ultranova into some cash?

Sure enough, I turned on the Ultranova and ran through some patches I had purchased from a programmer called tblv9300. I enjoyed playing it so much, I actually woke up in the night last night thinking about using it again today...

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

I waffle about selling my Kurzweil PC3 ALL THE TIME.

I think "today's the day!" and then I turn it on. I find a patch that sounds so good in a mix, I just can't pull the trigger.

I make software noises.

Every time I try to sell my KX88 I start to get dizzy and short of breath. I have no use for it, it's leaning up against the wall. But I get ready to put it up for sale to reclaim some room in my condo and I just can never do it.

There's also several synths that I just have to keep in the rig. One is some form of Kurz. I had a K2500, sold it, and then bought a K2000VP so I could get the sounds again. Same for Alesis. I had a QS7, sold it, and several years later bought a QSR. There's something about them that I just want: maybe they're old friends I'm comfortable with, and know that they can always fill a niche- I can get what I want with them quickly and easily, and though they may not be 100% perfect sonically, they're close enough in this day and age of people listening to compressed MP3 through ear buds that it makes no difference.

But there's one more- my Korg N1r. It just has so many go-to sounds that I forgive its lack or resonant filters. In fact, I'd love to find an N5EX to make it a 128-voice instrument.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

OK - just wondering if anyone else has this happen - I have WAY too much gear (gig rig, home stuff, etc) and just last night noticed the old Roland MVS-1 in the bottom of my rack ( http://www.retrosound.de/The_M-VS1.htm ) - so I midi'd it up to my Kurz and ran thru the patches (playing along with some sequences from my An1x .. ok, that is old too LOL) .. I had a blast and actually liked most of the patches .. realize it is not the friendliest to program, but still fun to mess around with - anyone else ever re-discover some of their dusty gear ??

All my gear is my old gear! Including, unfortunately, my computer!! :D

For me right now, it'd be my 01/W ProX. I hadn't really played through the sounds on it in quite a while, until today. I was just going through some of the combis and I'm just amazed at how big this instrument can sound, not to mention how big and heavy it actually is!

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

When I first got my Fantom X7, I didn't dig it.

While many of my original complaints still hold, I didn't really know how good it was until I started looking for something to replace it.

As someone else on this forum said, it doesn't really shine at anything but it is just so dang usable.

And if you have something else covering piano/rhodes/clav, it is actually a very good synthesizer. There are quite a few sounds I would miss if I retired it today.

I sold a Leslie to a guy and regretted it afterwards. I emailed him and said "hey, if you ever want to sell it..." Months later he accepted a position in another city, and offered to sell it back for the same price he paid. I bought it back. I haven't used it much since, because I have two other Leslies. But you know, they're all sound a little different, and it doesn't take up THAT much room....

I knkow what you mean on selling the Leslie - used to gig with my 145, but those hauling days are over - at home now and have considered selling it, but then I hook it up, play my M3 or clone thru it and regain my senses LOL

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

I never dealt with this because I always felt certain sounds on keyboards held over time. Most of everything with keyboards is so disposable now that I never have any attachment to them. After helping a buddy service a 1958 B3 Console last weekend most things pale in comparison.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I still use my D-20 for sounds on most tracks...

There is a very simple electric bass patch that works wonders with many songs, and I just used it for a pipe organ bit.

Most of my compositions will feature a contribution from all of my hardware. A bit of XV-3080, a bit of Kurzweil, etc.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Archived