Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Double-Sided Tape

I'm thinking of (permanently?) securing a ribbon controller to a Kurzweil PC361, using something like carpet tape or maybe a 3M VHB tape. Advice (including "Don't do that!") is appreciated.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At your local hobby store (radio control cars and planes) they sell servo tape, used to stick servo motors down firmly, but removably.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

I'd probably go with industrial Velcro, but put some gaff tape down first, just in case you may one day remove it.

+1 Velcro on top of gaffer tape is a tried and trusted option with many KCers.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

You may think this is crazy but I've been using 3M Command strips for years, to attach things like power bars, shower caddies, and pretty much anything I wouldn't want to wreck if/when I remove. One at each end with the tab sticking out would work for something as light as a ribbon controller.

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB15VxwHVXXXXXzXpXXq6xXFXXXw/-font-b-3M-b-font-font-b-Command-b-font-Assorted-Mounting-Refill-Strips-font.jpg

Here for the gear.

Quarter-inch cassette tapes are double-sided, but when used in a 4-channel Portastudio device, both sides get used up. :)

Joking aside, they make velcro tape stripes with an adhesive backing, so you can put one velcro strip on your keyboard and the other on your effects device. This allows you to safely mount your effect device on your keyboard, and then remove the effect device for transport, use on another device, etc.

Have fun!

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Quarter-inch cassette tapes are double-sided, but when used in a 4-channel Portastudio device, both sides get used up. :)

? Did I read the OP wrong?

Here for the gear.

Here in Appalachia, cassettes never grew beyond 1/8 inch. Must be the lack of sunshine. For quarter inch we used open reel or 8-track tapes.

-Tom Williams

You may think this is crazy but I've been using 3M Command strips for years, to attach things like power bars, shower caddies, and pretty much anything I wouldn't want to wreck if/when I remove. One at each end with the tab sticking out would work for something as light as a ribbon controller.

These things are great. Very good grip and they remove very easily with no residue - comes off almost like putty.

3M command huh ??? - been thinking of how to mount my Line 6 M5 to the top of my Nord Lead 2 .. think those will work !!

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

• 2 weeks later...

And the Winnah iz:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/804479P/3mtm-scotchr-extreme-mounting-tape-20-lbs.jpg?boundedSize=310

I removed the existing slip-resistant pad from the ribbon controller.

The tape is 1" wide, and the controller is 1.5" wide, so I actually cut part of the double-sticky in half along the long axis -- that was the hardest part of the exercise.

It's more solid than it had been with the original padding, so I am very happy with it.

-Tom Williams

Fixed image:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/804479P/3mtm-scotchr-extreme-mounting-tape-20-lbs.jpg

(for those curious about this, the image won't display if there's anything in the URL after the filename, such as the querystring in Tom's original URL:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/804479P/3mtm-scotchr-extreme-mounting-tape-20-lbs.jpg?boundedSize=310. :2thu: )

Thanks, Sven, for the fix. I was quite confused by the thing.

Reeze: Yeah, probably permanent. But so's the one on my K2600, so I decided to take the plunge. Worst case, if I take it off later, is that it would spoil the "Kurzweil" logo.

-Tom Williams

Archived