Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What to do with a broken XK-1?

clpete

I have a Xk-1 with a fried mother board. A new board would cost more than picking up a used XK-1. It's possible that something else is fried, but the tech that looked at it seems to think it's just the main board.

So, is there any value in it? The cost and hassle of shipping it seem hardly worth selling it as is. Are there parts I can remove that are marketable?

Do I just haul it off?

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shame to throw away the keybed.

Maybe it´s possible to keep the case, keys, drawbars and PSU,- then throw in a HX3 board and Fatar scan-board for direct connectivity of the keys to the HX3 engine.

A.C.

I'm not sure how to check for midi operation as the display isn't working. It lights up, but no info is displayed. I did try to access it with midi, with no success, when it went fried last summer.

However, I have it out now, as I was checking to see it fixed itself...ha ha. For kicks I will try running midi in and out of it. I don't think it will do anything as the mother board is not communicating with the other components.

...throw in a HX3 board and Fatar scan-board for direct connectivity of the keys to the HX3 engine.

A.C.

+1. That was my first thought.

Thats an interesting idea. It looks like it would cost over $600 to purchase the 2 boards.

I dont think Im qualified or willing to spend the money to take on that project. I seen a couple used XK1 for sale for that price and I now have a XK1C.

Rarely but sometimes i have seen an xk1with a broken key or otherwise externally damaged. If you could pick one of those up for a couple hundred bucks you might salvage a motherboard. Or maybe someone else is out there waiting to use your salvaged parts. Try ebay, sell as not working.

FunMachine.

You have a license to tinker, a bit on the pricey side. But if that's something you have time for and it entertains you (plus you might get a pretty cool spare Hackond HX3-1c. I'd do it if I had the dough.

If the scanner gets you MIDI from the keys and controllers.... what else could you stick in it? A Mac MINI... A Gemini Rack...

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Archived