Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How long til you're satisfied?

MAJUSCULE

Maybe some of you with spouses hear this question often. Maybe some of you are already at this point.

What would it take for your GAS to be satisfied? This is all hypothetical of course, we can keep buying gear forever, but at what point would you be satisfied quitting the game?

For me (considering the gear in my signature), I'd say a Wurly, a string machine/mellotron (or clone), and a badass vintage monosynth.

Honorable mentions (aka next purchases after those): Clavinet, better Hammond+Leslie, badass polysynth.

You? :snax:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm reminded of the apocryphal quote widely attributed to John D. Rockefeller, when asked how much money is enough: "One dollar more."

Preachers love to quote that, although I can't find any accurate reference Rockefeller ever actually said that.

Nevertheless, if you're asking when enough is enough...

...but seriously, I've mentioned before putting myself on buyer's abstention for over a year, and it being the best thing for my playing. So, yeah...no more keyboards.

Until the next one.

I'm truly at the point where there's only one more thing I want. I don't need it, it won't pay for itself, I just want it.

And it doesn't exist.

So, I guess I'm done.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

These days i find myself longing for small, "cheap" and unusual keyboard instruments, not hammonds or mono synths, or expensive pianos.

I want to buy a better accordion, a portable pump organ, i need to fix my broken hammond 44 melodica, i'm drooling for a glogenspiel etc. I know these are out of fashion but this is where my G.A.S. is leading me

And yes, it never stops, just changing shapes :)

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

My "satisfaction" about gear acquisition syndrome depends on getting a good sound, which only partially is dependent on keyboards and synthesizers, even though I could easily imagine desiring more than a few of those. For a variety of reasons production capabilities and tricks as well as good monitoring and certain types of success are probably more important now.

T

I'm always satisfied...but I can always be more satisfied. :facepalm:

Seriously I'm pretty well set until the next "must-have" comes along. This usually opens the flood gates to other purchases for a few months as I adapt my studio to accommodate the new acquisition. The Elements I received in December led to an unexpected MoPho x4 purchase because of it's controller aspects. Those were the first synths or for that matter sound generating hardware I bought in 3 years. But there was also room treatment and monitor upgrade last year so I guess there's always something.

Anyway, I have nothing in my sights at this time.

Depends on what music I get involved with to be honest and what gear would solve problems. Other than that I have stayed fairly steady state gear wise the past 6 years or so because the gear is so good. I've been more active after a 3-5 year lull of late and it's growing so I have purchased in the past year.

How many more years is the real question now being 61 that I can function at this level . . .the game does change! There are some roadies involved in one of the groups I'm in and a truck, so!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

As far as my home rig (Kawai grand, Hammond A-100 & Leslie 45, Wurly 200), I am beyond satisfied and very lucky.

For the gig rig, the Electro 2 is getting a bit long in the tooth and it should be getting replaced around the end of the month or so.

Like others, I've made an effort to focus more on my playing than with acquiring gear. Gear is fun, no doubt, but lately I've found that I tend to spend more time practicing anyway even when new gear arrives.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I can tell you no one is satisfied till they get the vintage instruments we all long for. The clones are still not where people want them as evidenced by people bitching in these threads. Until that comes closer there will always be GAS.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I can tell you no one is satisfied till they get the vintage instruments we all long for. The clones are still not where people want them as evidenced by people bitcbing in these threads. Until that comes closer there will always be GAS.

There's some truth to that... having been in the market since 1981, I'm at a point where my GAS is done and I don't want any more gear. I have a lot of vintage stuff and I have all the pieces I need. Note I did not say I have all the pieces I WANT. Sure I want more, but beyond what I have things start becoming redundant.

Keeping all that vintage gear running is enough work as it is, thank you very much. Almost all my vintage gear have MIDI retrofits. I got off the upgrade treadmill back in the 1980s and established a policy that if I can't get ten years use out of a piece of gear then I don't buy it. I have sold gear that have become redundant. Having been raised on analogs of the 1970s and 1980s, my aural standards has been pretty high. Cliche' sounds like "DigitalNativeDance" were never a selling point to me.

Sure, the MIDI solutions for vintage gear can be rudimentary due to the original designs. But when only that sound will do, the limitations are a fair compromise I can work with.

I've kind of reached the point of equilibrium with keyboard gear. I've tweaked, bought and sold and I have a perfectly workable set up with a Spider pro stand, nice mic, two keyboards, in-ear monitors and as of last weekend, a way to control my monitor mix with my phone. I've researched freaking canvas bags, pistol cases and totes in the name of better logistics. If I was transported back 50 years I'd be a golden god of technology and musical wizardry (until they realized they could play circles around me and cast me down).

But the GAS never goes away. I just bought a rock-n-roller cart (RT-14) even though I don't need it 95% of the time (but when you do...you *really* do).

I think I might turn some attention toward upgrading my in-ears to custom molds and more than a single driver. Also that Behringer two-channel monitor pack is squarely on my radar for $49.

But unless my wife wants to ditch our old acoustic piano (which is dying) and I can shoehorn that into a "let me get a Stage 2 to take its place AND for me to use at gigs" I think I'm set for a while.

And of course I'm looking at basses and guitars yesterday...at least there's not much to buy in those areas....:)

I could only be satisfied if I had people to carry and set up all the equipment I want. That really squelches my belch. Any rig envy I might feel about the great rigs I've seen on this forum is quickly smashed by the Monty Python foot of the thought of carrying and especially setting up all that beautiful stuff. As I look through music equipment catalogs online, I first look for the weight, then I think about how many additional cords it would take, etc. These are not negative thoughts, as I don't consider the PC3 to be much of a compromise, at all, not at all. However, if I ever put together a home studio, that could be a problem.

Kurzweil PC4

I can tell you no one is satisfied till they get the vintage instruments we all long for.

Truth.

I had always wanted a CS-80; finally fulfilled that dream 2003. Sold it less than two years later (for what I paid for it) because I didn't have an EE degree, and couldn't deal with all of the maintenance issues. That cured a lot of GAS for me, especially for vintage gear. Minimoog? I'll see how this Crowminius thing works out, until then DIVA....

My GAS is quelled until I get a volunteer for a free, personal roadie.

Like a few of the posters above, I've been more focused being a better musician and getting the most out of the stuff I already own. I'm 95% happy with my equipment. There are moments where I would like a newer DP for gigging, but I don't want to carry anything heavier than my Electro 3HP. I can imagine use scenarios for the Electro 5HP, but there is no pressing need. Everything else is just too heavy to justify the effort.

I'll be (theoretically) be satisfied until my skills and/or needs exceed the capabilities of my equipment. I'm nowhere near that right now.

Truly agonizing GAS is seldom experienced any more. I had it last spring but the NS2 cured it, and I'm very happy for having taken the medicine.

I think being at the point where I can cover all the sounds I need while keeping my fingers happy during key-pushes does the trick for me.

I AM still looking for ways to lighten the load, again without crossing that minimum acceptable "feel" line.

To that end, I'm exploring Halion Sonic 2 (to replace the Motif ES Rack, and one of those spiffy NS76 red bags.

So yeah... I guess GAS never REALLY goes away completely. :P

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Let's be serious - we're talking GAS here, right? Most of the satisfaction is derived from the big A part of GAS. Doesn't matter whether it's vintage analog, soft synths or a 10K A/D converter. Acquiring is it's own satisfaction and I believe an addiction that needs to be periodically fulfilled. Of course this applies to non-music related stuff as well and I've seen some real addicts that need an almost constant daily fix; the research, the shopping, the whittling down to that most perfect of choices, the price search/negotiations leaving a wake of annihilated dealers (and of course bragging rights). And then the long wait/anticipation, delivery and finally the un-boxing with a good adrenaline rush if you did all the other things right.

:drool::drool::drool:

I don't know about you but that usually holds me for a day or 2. Then it's back to the forums to see what everyone else is buying.

Regarding electronic keyboards - I'm perfectly ok with the CP4 for gigs & CP5 for home. The Montage 8 does look tempting but only for futzing around on at home. But realistically *that kind of fun* is only temporary for me. In the big picture it really only serves as being a diversion from real practicing. ;)

I did post about the MP11 and ideally the Avant Grand N2, mainly for accompanying myself on vocals. Either would be nice but I don't really need them. Actually I've been doing more piano/vocal on the CP4 and been digging the heavier action of it over the CP5. And obviously all my regular piano practice is on the Steinway D.

If I could upgrade over my RCF TT08As to the L'Acoustics 108Ps or Fulcrum Acoustics FA28ACs that would be nice. But for maybe the incremental difference vs the huge $$$$s outlay vs I'm less enamored with playing live gigs these days -- basically I feel better about putting my dough in other areas that will generate more enthusiasm and inspiration.

As in a serious high end vocal mic. My Neumann KMS-105, for what it is, basically sounds good, is a workhorse but it can only offer so much detail.

Any of David Bock's mics - the Bock 507,407 or 251 probably would be first choice but way out of my price league. The Flea 49 or 47 are more reachable with my price connect and either would be highly desirable. Most practical with local pricing, yet still high quality, would be one of Dave Pearlman's TM250s.

Also highly GAS for the Senn HD800s and a high end headphone amp like the Grace M920 or SPL Phonitor 2 to drive them.

So yeah basically my GAS is more about upgrading for vocal practice and when I do record.

I find myself at the point at which I have to downsize, and be portable. I quite frankly have everything that I need, but still get GAS, although my big issue now seems to be SAS. Personal circumstance notwithstanding, I would be ultimately satisfied with a nice B3 with 2 Leslies and a grand. Not sure I actually see that happening.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

With my Px5s and Electro 3 I have representations of the sounds I care about (piano, rhodes, wurli, clav and B3) that I'm very happy with, especially for live playing, so I would say I'm there. If I had to push it, I've lately been intrigued about doing some organ trio gigs, left hand bass stuff, and of course a dual manual clone would facilitate that...

My guess is when I retire and disposable income dries up, I will be much more resistant to GAS attacks. Currently I am thinking that the Montage 7 that just arrived might be my last keyboard. The 12 month payment plan will end right before I am eligible for retirement. However, if they ever release a 41 key Kronos that weighs 10 pounds, THAT may be my last keyboard.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I've always felt that if I had a great acoustic piano in a great room I'd never need anything else. I have a ton of sounds at my disposal, but I practice almost exclusively on an acoustic piano patch. That being said, I think I'd still want a Hammond/Leslie and some sort of analog polysynth (I'm still bitter I sold the one I had, as limited as it was). Outside of that I've already got a whole lot to work with.

There's also other instruments and recording gear I'd like. I want a telecaster at some point for sure.

While I don't have everything I want, I do have everything I need, which is a nice position to be in. And I've gotten to the age where I don't buy things just because I want them.

That said, for quite a while now, I have looked at some of the new things that have come out (like the Montage, Kronos, Jupiter-80, etc.) and been tempted. But so far when I look at the price versus the incremental improvements they'd make over what I already have, it's fairly easy to walk away.

Now, if Korg ever made a 73/76-key Kronos with waterfall keys... I might bite. Or if there was a 76-key piece that combined waterfall keys, a state-of-the-art clonewheel, and something like an Integra...

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Archived