Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to add an avatar?

richforman

I figured I'd add my current FB profile pic as an avatar here. What's a simple way to do this? I have it downloaded to my computer as a jpeg, but it's not hosted on a web site or anything, and the Update Profile page here only seems to let you enter a URL rather than browse to and upload a pic from my computer as I would for fb. How to do this if you don't have a web site? Thanks guys.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get an account with a free image hosting site like photpbucket, upload the image (jpeg) sized to fit, copy the URL that photobucket gives for that pic into your profile.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Too much trouble. Other fora I'm on let me upload a pic. Find an image on the web that you would like to be your avatar and use that url. That's what many here have done. I use a pic of someone who kinda looks like me. It's Bob Seger.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Thanks Markay, I'll give that route a try. Worth the trouble because it'll keep me from having to actually focus on my job for a few more minutes!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

It worked! Thanks again for the assist Markay. This was from a gig of mine a few weeks ago and besides my thinking it a good enough pic to make my fb profile pic for a while, there are a couple things about it that are somewhat interesting to me. It's different in several ways from my standard rig. For one thing, my Yamaha MOXF8 is in the shop so I temporarily have been subbing in my spare, second Fantom X7 as the "bottom board" so that I am using two X7's as my rig now, wonder if anyone else has done that before. Also, this was the first gig in my 30+ years of playing where I decided to bring in and set up a third keyboard (bought the third tier for my Spider Pro again with some guidance from a fellow forum member here). You can hardly see it but I have my VR09 perched atop the two X7's. I did this specifically for just two songs in the set that night, "Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" and "Rosanna", both of which had just so many sounds/parts/lines I wanted to try to cover, that I wanted the third board to do it justice.

Rich Forman

postimage.org makes it pretty easy after you upload your photo & specify it as "family safe", you then can tell it to automatically resize for various online places (email, web, forums, etc). It will also generate the code to use it in a forum message here just cut & paste.

Of course when they go out of business or decide to start charging, all your pics disappear from your posts! That happened to me with a previous service whose name I've forgotten.

When we were kids, we were so poor we had to eat rocks for dinner. And we liked it!

We also couldn't upload anything.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Ever tried googling your name for images? You'd be surprised.

I get tractors and actors.

I have a fairly common name so I get a bunch of random dudes. The first actual photo that belongs to any of my accounts is, fittingly, this:

photo.jpg

When we were kids, we were so poor we had to eat rocks for dinner. And we liked it!

We also couldn't upload anything.

What!!! You got to eat rocks. We only got rocks for desert on sundays. The rest of the week was just dirt. But we liked it ok.

And yeah, we couldn't upload anything either.

Archived