Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Earwhigs

d  halfnote

Lately I've been unable to get these 2 songs outta mind.

Despite Lowell George's lyrical reminder to "learn to remember to forget", that's not worked.

Nor has the snazzy knots he tied the E scale into during his gtr solo, which ends in a particularly dramatic, multi-octave dive bomb that plunges off the low end of the fretboard.

[*]

[video:youtube]

The 2nd is Van Morrison's meditation on , well, I'm not really sure but here the primary cause of mental stickiness is Van's (yes that's him on sax !) determinedly evocative blast through almost an entire chorus on a single note.

Ah, the power of simplicity !

Check how he reinforces this musical statement in the lyrical recap, as he sprays a string of triplets over , again, basicacly 1 pitch.

------------------------------------

[* Those knowledgeable abt Little Feat history, will be aware that he later developed licks that went in the exact opposite direction, scaling stratospheric heights somewhere around the 36th~40th frets, as in "Cold, Cold, Cold / Tripe Face Boogie".

Those not aware of that history perhaps should become so.]

d=halfnote

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff! :cool:

While not particularly guitarcentric, I've had this stuck in MY ear- both my mind's ear and actually listening with my ears- for a while now. Dara Puspita, a '60s all-girl band from Indonesia, covering a Bee Gees song with fantastic ginchy fuzz and tape-echo...

____________ [video:youtube]

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Actually, the term is "earWORMS"

Earwhigs( really "earwigs" ) are pesky little critters that get into damp places like the creases in lawn furniture cushions, and if they get in the house, keep watch out for them amongst the laundry.

Rumored to have gotten the name due to their supposedly burrowing into unsuspecting people's ears, anything I've read about them so far says it'sall legend.

But "earworms" are equally pesky due to the fact that (in MY case at least) the tune that inevitably gets "stuck" in your head is usually one you CAN'T STAND! :mad:

EarWHIGS sounds like something to do with early 19th century politics ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Actually, the term is "earWORMS"

Earwhigs( really "earwigs" ) are pesky little critters that get into damp places like the creases in lawn furniture cushions, and if they get in the house, keep watch out for them amongst the laundry.

Rumored to have gotten the name due to their supposedly burrowing into unsuspecting people's ears, anything I've read about them so far says it'sall legend.

But "earworms" are equally pesky due to the fact that (in MY case at least) the tune that inevitably gets "stuck" in your head is usually one you CAN'T STAND! :mad:

EarWHIGS sounds like something to do with early 19th century politics ;)

Whitefang

M' thinks that half-note was exorcising a li'l poetic license there 'bouts, tha's all; no need for ear-wrigglery... ;)

Wasn't there a Twilight Zone episode about earwigs? :snax:

No. You've been mislead. Continue to obey your Earwig Overlord Masters and disbelieve any ideas that they exist. Continue. Breed. Obey.

Naw, Fang tagged me correctly as mistaking the right word. :cop:

I'd be really embarrassed if anyone important were to see that !

:laugh:

But all of us here are super more importanter than most peopleses... !!

That was a NIGHT GALLERY episode that starred LAURENCE HARVEY who hired a guy who said he could have one planted in the ear of anyone Harvey's character wished, and he asked to have it placed in the ear of the husband of a woman he had the hots for, hoping to "comfort" her after her husband's madness and death, but it got put in HIS ear by mistake.

E-e-e-e-w-w-w-w-w!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

That was a NIGHT GALLERY episode that starred LAURENCE HARVEY who hired a guy who said he could have one planted in the ear of anyone Harvey's character wished, and he asked to have it placed in the ear of the husband of a woman he had the hots for, hoping to "comfort" her after her husband's madness and death, but it got put in HIS ear by mistake.

E-e-e-e-w-w-w-w-w!

Whitefang

You're right - Night Gallery. And the hook was that the earwig laid eggs. :snax:

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Archived