Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Where in the world have you travelled?

Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Germany, Italy, France, Switzerland, England, Scotland, Argentina, Brazil, Northern Saskatchewan(two fishing trips), Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Mexico, 1976 Olympics in Montreal.

If I could recommend any one place I have been it would be Italy. The history, the art, the food, the fashionable women, and really friendly people. I plan to return in the summer of 2006. Did I mention the food ? :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My list:

I've lived in Gastonia & Charlotte, NC

I've traveled to:

North Carolina

South Carolina

Georgia

Florida

Mississippi

Tennesee

Texas

Alabama

New Mexico

Arizona

California

Oregon

Washington

Washington DC

Maryland

Virginia

Pennsylvania

Maine

Kentucky

Ohio

New York

West Virginia

Utah

Wyoming

Colorado

Montana

South Dakota

Nevada

Idaho

and Nova Scotia & Newfoundland, Canada

These are places I've spent time on the road, not just in the airports. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Canada - England & the USA for me !

In the USA Texas and California are pretty unique of the places I've been and lived. Kind of like a whole other country and way of thinking like someone else said - everybody should try them out for a spell.

There's a spot opening up in California since I'm heading to Tennessee - room for 2 out here ! ;)

Bluestrat's list of states he's visited led me to wonder just how many states have I visited?

1. Alabama
  2. Arkansas
  3. California
  4. Colorado
  5. Connecticut
  6. Delaware
  7. Florida
  8. Georgia
  9. Illinois
  10. Indiana
  11. Iowa
  12. Kansas
  13. Kentucky
  14. Louisiana
  15. Maryland
  16. Massachusetts
  17. Michigan
  18. Minnesota
  19. Mississippi
  20. Missouri
  21. Montana
  22. Nebraska
  23. New Jersey
  24. New York
  25. North Carolina
  26. North Dakota
  27. Ohio
  28. Oklahoma
  29. Pennsylvania
  30. Rhode Island
  31. South Carolina
  32. South Dakota
  33. Tennessee
  34. Texas
  35. Utah
  36. Virginia
  37. West Virginia
  38. Wisconsin
  39. Wyoming

And Washington, D.C.

I would never have guessed I'd visited almost 80% of the U.S. :eek:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I have a web site with a lot of pictures if you are interested in looking at it. Go to the main page, and then click on "Travels", or click here .

~~~~~~~

In the U.S., about 30 states, including the remote outposts of Hawaii, Alaska, and West Virginia.

Peru (2x)

Burma

India (3x) incl. Ladakh and Kashmir - total of about six months

Philippines

Japan

China

Morocco

Spain

Hong Kong (3x)

Thailand (2x)

Mexico

Canada

I am not counting countries in which I have only been there for a few hours, such as in the airport. Most of these countries, I have been there for at least a week, and most of the time, well over a month, so I'm pretty darn lucky!! :)

I'm considering going to Ghana this year, so that'll be the second time on the African continent. That'll be fun.

I forgot to mention that I was born in Germany, although I only lived there for the first 9 months of my life. Does that count? :D

I've still got that last 40% to see, and some of the other states need a revisit. I'm a civil war history nut and I've been to almost every battle-field from Gettysburg to Charleston, but I haven't seen Vicksburg, Nashville, Shiloh, Port Hudson, Andersonville, Fort Donnelson, Glorietta, Pea Ridge, Wilson's Creek, etc. One of these days...

The ones I've been to:

Gettysburg

Antietam (Sharpsburg)

Manassas (Bull Run)

Fredricksburg

Chancellorsville

Richmond

Petersburg

Spotsylvania

Monacacy

Washington DC

Norfolk & Hampton Roads

Williamsburg

New Market

Lexington & VMI

Harper's Ferry

Yorktown

Fort Macon, NC

Fort Pulaski, GA

Fortress Monroe, VA

Fort Wool, VA

Fort Sumter, SC

Fort Moultre, SC

Fort Marion (Castillo De San Marcos), FL

Fort Point, CA

Fort McAllister, GA

Salisbury, NC (P.O.W. Camp & Nat. Cemetary)

(forgot a few :D )

Fort Barancas, FL

Fort Pickens, FL

Fort Gaines, AL

Fort Morgan, AL

Fort Fisher, NC

Appomattox, VA

Ford's Theatre

Chickamauga & Lookout Mt.

Baltimore (site of Baltimore Riot)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

>>started traveling early with my family in the US--traveled the U.S. for about 10 years after College..

A photographer/artist so >>>>>>

By the 80's I was traveling Europe twice a year

Spent a Summer in Lativa..(returned 4 times)

Moscow a few trips..

Several Springs in Slovakia (3X)

Hungary (2X)

Solvenia

Yugoslavia (during the conflict)

Italy (5X)

France (11X)

Austria (5X)

Czech (6x)

Poland (4X)

Germany (6x)

Denmark (4X)

Holland (5X)

Swiss (4X)

Liechtenstein (2X)

England (4X)

Mexico (starting to think of spending winters in San Miguel de Allende )

Columbia

Panama

Most the Caribbean Isles

Hawaii (15X)

Never did master any languages..but still selling the images in the galleries..

Several 100 photos of travels >>>

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=288976&display_list=false

I've seen most of the southeast USA plus California and a drive back from there to KY once.

Also been to England, Scotland, Wales, Turkey, Greece, Crete, Italy, Sicily, Spain, Honduras, Panama, Cuba (Gitmo), Bermuda, Peurto Rico, and South Korea mostly entertaining the troops but I lived in London for a while.

I spent 3 hours in Germany (Frankfort airport). ;)

Originally posted by bluestrat:

...I'm a civil war history nut and I've been to almost every battle-field from Gettysburg to Charleston, but I haven't seen Vicksburg, Nashville, Shiloh, Port Hudson, Andersonville, Fort Donnelson, Glorietta, Pea Ridge, Wilson's Creek, etc. One of these days...

Never been to Chattanooga, TN? There was, of course, a huge battle for Lookout Mountain on the Tennessee/Georgia line. As a Civil War nut, I suppose you're familiar with the Battle In The Clouds, right? Chattanooga and Lookout Mountain have several interesting Civil War related sites.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Gee, compared to ya'll, I feel like I haven't been anywhere, but here goes:

Canada - Living in a border town, Canada doesn't even feel like a foreign country to me. I've been to Toronto more times than I can remember, as well as Montreal and Ottawa. Sometime in the near future, I hope to catch a Habs home game or visit the city of Quebec.

Belgium - Waterloo and Brussels, I can't thank you enough for introducing me to the incredible world of Begian beer!

Holland (Amsterdam) - The Dutch were by far the friendliest people I met in Europe, and I had a terrific Indonesian meal, too.

France - The only thing I can add to what countless people have said about Paris

is that I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would.

US States - Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York (obviously), New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, DC, Kentucky, Delaware, Virginia, West VA, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Louisiana. The standout US cities for me are Chicago, New York, my hometown, and New Orleans - man, I'm a Yankee through and through, but the food, music, and "morally casual attitude" of the Crescent City speaks to me.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by bluestrat:

...I'm a civil war history nut and I've been to almost every battle-field from Gettysburg to Charleston, but I haven't seen Vicksburg, Nashville, Shiloh, Port Hudson, Andersonville, Fort Donnelson, Glorietta, Pea Ridge, Wilson's Creek, etc. One of these days...

Never been to Chattanooga, TN? There was, of course, a huge battle for Lookout Mountain on the Tennessee/Georgia line. As a Civil War nut, I suppose you're familiar with the Battle In The Clouds, right? Chattanooga and Lookout Mountain have several interesting Civil War related sites.
Yep, been there too, but forgot to add those! :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...I've never been to the Statue of Liberty, even though I've been in NY for almost 15yrs.

Also the only time I ever set foot in the Empire State Bldg was to do a Novell class, back in 1994...

Never been to the Bronx Zoo, Coney Island, Central Park (outside of driving thru and a few concerts). Never been on the NY ferry etc etc

I heard today that an upcoming tour which takes me to the far east might end in S. Korea...

NYC Drew

I'm young and I hope to have more travelling ahead of me.

I was in Tijuana, Mexico when I was about 8 years old, but I can't remember that far back very well, and it was just a day trip.

Otherwise, I've been to most of the states as far east as Colorado.

I've been to Vancouver, B.C., Canada, but only spent a day there on the way through.

Spent about a day in Amsterdam, Netherlands, also on the way through.

And spent about 4 weeks in Egypt, which is where I was on my way through to.

I would like to visit Peru, although I think it's kind of unstable right now. Also: most of Western Europe would probably be nice to visit. Southern Mexico would be nice I think.

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

I never added it up before but I've done a few tours over the years.

1.India (last year)

2.Brazil

3.Argentina

4.Martinique

5.Guadaloupe

6.Mexico

7.Iceland (USO tour)

8.Greenland """

9.Norway

10.Sweden

11.Denmark

12.Holland

13.England

14.France

15.Belgium

16.Switzerland

17.Slovakia

18.Spain

19.Austria

20.Germany

21.Canada

22.Most States except Alaska

23.Reunion Island (in middle of Indian Ocean)

Whew! Think I'll stay home awhile!

Originally posted by Veracohr:

I would like to visit Peru, although I think it's kind of unstable right now.

It's a wonderful country. Peru has the nicest people I've met as a whole while traveling (I backpack and tend to go to to a lot of remote, off-the-beaten path places - see photos on my web site for details). I've spent a month there on the first visit, and almost six weeks on the second visit in 2001. The people are very nice there.

Unless something recently has happened that I don't know about, I think it's quite safe to visit. The places that tourists would travel to would not be where the "emergency areas" are anyway. The insurgents rarely target tourists.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is from the Lonely Planet web site:

"Peru continues to be the stage for the Shining Path movement's insurgency. Although acts of violence such as bombings sporadically target Lima and other urban centres, travellers are generally off the radar, although keeping abreast of latest developments is advised.

Insurgent activity is mostly concentrated in the more remote parts of the country that perhaps only mining engineers and adventure travellers would ever want to access. Lima and traditional tourist areas such as Cuzco and Machu Picchu are considered safe.

Areas where the government is conducting counter-insurgency campaigns have been designated 'emergency areas' and should not be entered. The Upper Huallaga Valley in the Amazon, home to drug barons and Shining Path guerrillas, is definitely off limits."

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Unless something recently has happened that I don't know about, I think it's quite safe to visit. The places that tourists would travel to would not be where the "emergency areas" are anyway. The insurgents rarely target tourists.

:thu:

I was under the impression (I don't really know where from) that it's been more dangerous in the last couple years to visit.

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

Originally posted by Veracohr:

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

:thu:

I was under the impression (I don't really know where from) that it's been more dangerous in the last couple years to visit.

I have a doctor friend who goes there every three months, administering medicine and so forth to the villages, and she said that it's quite safe and that the people are generally happy with Alejandro Toledo (the President). I dunno, though. I haven't studied up. The insurgency has increased in the past two years, but they seem to be targeting specific targets, not randomly doing stuff. There have been some bombings in Lima and elsewhere, but again, specific targets. Most tourists (I usually bump into backpackers) that I run into don't hang out in Lima for very long. In remote areas, unless you are near coca plantations, you're very safe, and usually, the most worrisome thing in Peru is theft. It is the only place where someone has attempted to steal my belongings (it was a family in Arequipa, a large city, with a small boy trying to slide my backpack over and grab it - they were unsuccessful).

In every village, town, and city, we were treated so nicely I cannot even tell you. They are wonderful people who love to have a good time, are very sweet and friendly, and often go out of their way to be friendly and helpful and make sure that you are safe. They thought nothing of sharing information or food, inviting me over to dinner in their house, asking to dance, doing special things, and hanging out.

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/peru2001.htm

US - every state except Montana Wyoming, Alabama and Mississippi

Bahamas

Canada - almost every province

Mexico

Barbados

Brazil

Ecuador

Argentina

Peru

Australia

New Zealand

Indonesia

China

South Korea

Japan

England

Norway

Sweden

Finland

Denmark

Russia

Germany

Netherlands

Luxembourg

Belgium

France

Austria

Switzerland

Italy

Spain

Portugal

Israel

Egypt

I think that's it...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Canada (where I'm from) - all provinces except Newfoundland. Haven't been to the territories.

US - Most NE and SE states and California. Also Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and the Dakotas. Never been to the NW or SW.

England

Scotland

Greece

Italy

Spain

France

Israel

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Archived