Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Uninstalling stuff on OSX?

I'm mixing some stuff as a favour for a local band at the moment and one track needs a touch of the ol' autotune so I downloaded the demo, thinking I'll just tweak that track and uninstall. Seems I must have run a demo in the past because Autotune said so. OK, fair enough, I certainly am not going to use it on my stuff and it's not a paying gig so there's no money for either myself or the band to buy it. If someone has a legit copy and fancies helping me out by correcting a few phrases, let me know :)

What worries me is that Autotune knew a previous version had been installed. I try out freeware and demos all the time and regularly clean out both the library>audio>plugins>VST folder and the on in the users directory. One of the reasons I switched was because I was sick of the Windows registry getting clogged up with shit and win programs installing stuff all over the place.

Is OS X a cleaner OS? Are programs installing stuff all over the place? Does this slow down the puter? Should I stop trying stuff out and just stick to my regular plugs?

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's very simple.

When you install an app there can be files in those places:

1 The app in the Application Folder (most apps are all there)

2 Could be some files in the User/Library/Application support

3 Could be some files in the Preferences Folder.

4 plugin folders

To be sure you deinstall everythiing, check those folders. No hidden or weird name files are created

Sucking the brain's vacuum

Waiting for the Nuclear Fusion. More energy, less damage.

A lot of apps are just self-contained (apps in OSX are really a directory BTW, not a lot of people seem to know that) except for the preferences file, and these don't have 'installers' per se but sometimes they do.

Most installation packages have an 'uninstall' option, which you should use if you still have it, otherwise see info above from 1. Though it probably doesn't hurt to leave library files installed, they don't typically load until they are called anyway.

certain software people like to write on the HD TOC. this is bad when they do that. we know who they are....

i'm not saying antares does this, because i dont think they do, but others do.

OSX hasnt run long enough between formats here to run into any problems like that. damn unstable here.

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Crass Coaster Guy:

certain software people like to write on the HD TOC. this is bad when they do that. we know who they are....

i'm not saying antares does this, because i dont think they do, but others do.

OSX hasnt run long enough between formats here to run into any problems like that. damn unstable here.

Who does that then?

Where is this TOC?

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Archived