Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Delta 1010 "the bomb"?

OK..hot analog project being wrapped..turning attention back to digital (it can do so much in mixing/mastering). Upgraded PC system to a 950MHz Duron and 200 Meg FSB ECS board. ( I-i-i know...and I still DO want a standalone box...but my system's almost screaming fast, I've tasted recording heavenly 48/96 vocals with my once-had Seasound Solo [whose #1 phantom-mic-in bonked out after a week (it only had two ... back to store)], and with this new horsepower I can at least 48/48 multitrack all night, right?! ) So I need an interface. I need 8 [b]quality inputs[/b], Pro Tools owners have bashed the Digi001 as "crap", I nixed CPort from recent experience, others are iffy, so I lean toward the Delta 1010 (my Mars musician-salesguy was ecstatic about his & urged me to get it six months ago). Whadda you say? Is it "the bomb"? I've pored over reviews and users groups that glow about it. No store here (Dallas) has one set up to hear thru. A BIG puzzlement was to lear it has no preamps, just converters. Can I record out of the box or must I get a rack of pres also... and what level/quality signal goes into my PC without extra mic pres? Considering buying today. Many thanks in advance.
-- Music has miracle potential --

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Delta-1010 is +4/-10 input through 1/4-inch TRS connectors. I am running a pair, driven by an Allen&Heath "MixWizard 16:2". The mixer has Direct outs on each channel that drives a mean -96dB noise line (the Deltas are giving me about -102dB with nothing plugged in. Here's a screen capture from Cool Edit... .[img]http://www.audiomaverick.com/image/noise/delta-only.jpg[/img] The article I read from EQ, last year, claims they are non-coloring and very transparant -- which I take as good. The Motu comments I've been seeing around here are they are dark sounding. I just spent some time on a thread from jayroX3 who is running an Athalon board that doesn't like his Delta-1010. This might be bad for you, since it may be the motherboard that is an issue. At any rate, I am liking the cards. You ight want to pour through my site, which is geared toward Cool Edit Pro & the Deltas... [url=http://www.audiomaverick.com]Audio Maverick Home Page[/url]

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

I don't know if it's the bomb, but it is a good card. I second the "neutral" observation. And it is very clean. You will need pres of some kind (this is where a Mackie 12 or 14 comes in handy--of course, if you're thinking or recording 8 tracks simultaneously, perhaps you'll need 8 channels of preamplification...) Every card has its detractors. I've heard, for example, that some Delta users have experienced poor perfromance on W2K and XP. I use 98se so I wouldn't know. BTW, it's sweet with Gigasampler. John
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Thanks for the response, Mav. I've been to your site several months age and lately during my digital search, and was impressed by the sound quality (my central focus) of Lasagna and other samples. While I'm impressed with the 1010's specs I'd already digested I probably should have confined my question to the concern about if I can record out of the box without externel preamps, since finding out [yesterday actually] that the 1010 has none. Can I?

Thanks for the clarification Magpel. You posted while I took 10 minutes off for an office meeting then came back to my Audiomaverick reply and hit the [Add Reply] button, asking again the question you'd answered :) .

lovesinger, you can record using some sort of premp. Since the inputs are switchable between -10dBu and +4dBV, you can pick up some 1/4-inch to RCA plugs and and connect any home equimpment into it. When I got my first card, I plugged my Hafler 101A premap into it and recorded in some od LPs that you can't find on CD (i.e. - Buckner & Garcia's "PacMan Fever"! and some old 78s). You could use a tape deck with microphone inputs, but you won't hear the fantastic difference as you will from a nicer preamp. Good luck!

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

It all depends what software application you are planning to use. I run a Delta 66, and I have found the ASIO drivers to be crap (Cubase is my platform of choice). When I say "crap", I am referring to random pops & clicks. I'm not the only one -- I have dug into this topic, and found countless others with the same problem. And the 66 and the 1010 share drivers. I don't seem to have problems with the Direct X driver. No pops & clicks in Wavelab or ReCycle. And it ain't Cubase... There are enough RME / Cubase users who don't know the meaning of "pop & click". And I want to join them :) . I will probably move on to a Multiface next year, and I have learned to live with occassional pops & clicks, but I would never recommend this card to someone in the market. All the best, Wiggum

Some driver revisions for the Delta series take a step back, sometimes. However, in CubaseVST/32, using the latest ASIO drivers under Win98se, recording @ 32bit/48k, with a P3/700, I get ZERO pops and clicks. The Delta's are probably a little more sensitive to computer setup that other cards. The biggest thing is VIA chipsets. The Delta doesn't really like it at all. Soundwise, the Delta's are fantastic value for the money. Bob

I have the Delta 1010 and while it is not 'the bomb", it is pretty damn good for the $, even better than cards costing a lot more. However, it does have some shortfalls: mostly the lack of optical/ADAT digital inputs - but an additional inexpensive add-on negates that problem. I have never had any problems running Cubase 5 and Windows ME as others describe. I only use it 2 tracks at a time, but if I need to there is another 6 available. As others mentioned, you will need amplification for mics/instruments; Presonus makes one hell of an 8 channel preamp for around $1000. I have one Midiman Audio Buddy, which is available from J&R for $70 or so. I will be upgrading to a Presonus 2 channel pre in the future. Acid, Soundforge, Recycle, and rebirth all work fine, as does the Win ME media player. Do note that there is no volume knob for monitoring on the 1010.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

Archived