Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

let's turn this ship around / Duane Eddy

d  halfnote

Periodically there's a spate of death reports we face.

It's good to note the passing of heroes & important figures but personally I prefer to recall their lives rather than exits.

I encourage the return of BDay posts & wanna start w/ Duane Eddy, 1950s & 60s master of atmospheric gtr instrumentals.

Born 78 yrs ago (1938) on this date & a guitarist from the age of 5 [read more = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Eddy ].

Eddy's favoured guitar was a Chet Atkins Gretsch 6120.[19]

Eddy was the first rock and roll guitarist to have a signature model guitar. In 1961 Guild Guitars introduced the Duane Eddy Models DE-400 and the deluxe DE-500. A limited edition of the DE-500 model was reissued briefly in 1983 to mark Eddy's 25th anniversary in the recording industry. In 1997 Gretsch produced the Duane Eddy Signature Model, the Gretsch E. In 2004 the Gibson Custom Art and Historic Division introduced the new Duane Eddy Signature Gibson guitar. A new Gretsch DE Duane Eddy Signature model was released in spring 2011.

[video:youtube]

Here's some of the kicks he gave us:

Rebel Rouser

Rebel Rouser live / dig the stage entry ! :cool:

Ramrod

Honky Tonk

Ghost Riders In The Sky live

Peter Gunn (the likely source for The Beatles's "Hey Bulldog")

Bluesing w/ John Fogerty

& Buegrassing w/ Chet, Earl, Leon & others

[DE at 1:20 / but don't miss Don Was's surprise cameo interjection at 3:30 :crazy: ]

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2A88cG8JTs

As James Brown once mighta said, "Rock on with yer bad, jazz hands self !" :keynana:

d=halfnote

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DUANE! Keep on rocking it! This cat has been with us since the beginning of time and he is really a classic. I was never a fan of Duane, but always a fan in some way...that's the only way I can describe my feelings. He always played it clean and is always dead on accurate with a great tone...Funny, but right now I am working on a vocal rendition of Ghost Riders In The Sky for a gig this Friday! Thanks for posting the YouTube video of the song!
Take care, Larryz

Archived