Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

She died on me last night......

My 20G Western Digital died on me last night taking along OS9.1 & DP3/Cubase 5/Reason/OMS settings with her..

It was strange though, her last good deed was excepting a Quicktime Movie I just recorded of my son from the digital camera, and she allowed me to transfer it using TOAST TITANIUM, I shut down, then I tried to turn her back on later and nothin.... then the...

tick..tick..tick..tick.. noise happened

I take it she's gone, cause I keep getting the ubiquitous (?-question mark) that flashes continuosly then stays there.

I even took my other HD from my other G4, put it in the (one not working G4) and it booted up fine

on the same IDE & Ribbon, so I crossed checked all I could. I even put the bad HD in my other G4 and I either got a BLANK SCREEN or QUESTION MARK, I even put it as a slave to the good HD on the other G4, absolutely nothing came up then.

So I guess she's gone

So how will I initialize the HD? Hold down C while booting from CD then it should ask me which drive and I should be able to format it then ? is that right fellas.

Luckily all my audio was on a external FW/HD

so (2)CD's are saved until I get back going

:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T.H.,

I work in a PC tech shop.

Depending on how crucial the data was, this takes some time but does often work:

If you can locate another EXACT same HD (must be the exact same model #), you can swap the platter.

It usually attaches with 4 screws. This can give new life to a drive at least long enough to get the data.

Bill

Originally posted by bvdd:

T.H.,

I work in a PC tech shop.

Depending on how crucial the data was, this takes some time but does often work:

If you can locate another EXACT same HD (must be the exact same model #), you can swap the platter.

It usually attaches with 4 screws. This can give new life to a drive at least long enough to get the data.

Bill

Or contact Western. If the discs themselves are okay, they will swap them out for you. Of course there is a fee. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

i've lost three ultrastar scsi drives, two seagate scsi, one DFHS ibm scsi drive, and a few misc IDE drives over the course of 11 years.

amazingly, my oldest drive still in use (a vintage 1996 seagate) has been in use the entire time and still works fine.

i have had the best luck with scsi seagate barricuda and cheetah. these seem to last a long time in my experience.

the new ide western digitals have a good rep also, i have two 120gb WD drives in heavy use without problem, also an 80gb WD drive in heavy use. the old WD seem to have a bad rep.

i have a 60gb ide seagate in heavy use.

i will NEVER buy another ultrastar drive, period.

i will probably NEVER buy another IBM drive.

ide WD and scsi seagate for me.

the two seagates i had fail i recieved used and were in questionable condition when i got them.

Thanks for the reply guys, but I was in such a rush I bolted out of here yesterday and bought a new drive. And yes it's WESTERN DIGITAL.

Since I only needed a 20G it was the one available.

I will try all the remedies posted in order the make the transition easier. As I've already installed OS 9.2 on the new HD, everything went fine except my PCI-324 drivers, I look in the extensions folder, and it's there.

OS9.2

System Folder

Extensions

MOTU

PCI-324 Driver

but when I'm in DP3, it says:

NO PCI-324 DRIVER, GO TO PUT IT IN THE MOTU FOLDER IN THE EXTENSIONS

??????????

guess I better prepare for a weekend of drama

but if I can get the other drive to work for a few minutes then I'll just transfer it to the new drive.

Thanks fellas

Archived