Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cheater's request / albert collins trix

d  halfnote

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's definitely rubbing something over the strings, but I don't think it's his hand or forearm. It sounds like something a little bit harder, that wouldn't absorb the string vibrations like a skin covered body part would. At least that's my opinion.
I rock; therefore, I am.

I think that that metal humbucker cover might play a part in that; or, maybe not. And we know that he usually tuned his guitar to Open Fm, F C F Ab C F (lo-to-hi), with a capo placed at the 5th, 6th, or 7th Fret. The capo and its location are almost certainly an important ingredient here. I strongly suspect that it's being done on the 6th-string, capoed-up.

So, a little trial-and-error will find the secret here. While my guitar's a Standard-Tuned Les Paul with uncovered humbuckers, I do have a capo- and I think that I can probably suss it out in time. I'll let you know what I find when I can get around to it.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

He's definitely rubbing the strings with something like his hand, fingers, maybe even a ring or his finger nails. I would have said pick scraping on the 6th string, but he doesn't use a pick LOL! The thread is "cheater's request" and I like to call capos cheater bars LOL! I was guessing he could loosen it and run it up and down the strings too... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I'm still working on this [kinda slowed by the sad demise of Prince] but I don't think the tuning has to with, CO'S, but there seems to be some bending involved, along with heavy distortion.

chk how close the lick Collins played here at 5:55 is

[video:youtube]

Pinched harmonic (so both the fretted note & overtone sound) ?

d=halfnote

I'm still working on this [kinda slowed by the sad demise of Prince] but I don't think the tuning has to with, CO'S, but there seems to be some bending involved, along with heavy distortion.

chk how close the lick Collins played here at 5:55 is

[video:youtube]

Pinched harmonic (so both the fretted note & overtone sound) ?

I apologize, half', for not having picked up the ball any further on this- I've been outta town at the Grrrlfriend's for days now and haven't gotten my guitar out and had at this yet. I promise that I will, before too long, and I will crack this genie out of its bottle...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived