Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio MZ-X500 a tool of creativity.. The new Cult tool

Bachus

[video:youtube]

Probably not something many pro musicians will have interest for..

But Casio is releasing this under 800 workstation..

Its not just a workstation..

Its combining a workstation and an arranger into a single instrument..

any way, there is for example :

- sampler

- 500 MB of sampling memmory

- Arranger

- knobs

- Good quallity B3 emulation with sliders..

- touchscreen

- 16 midi phrases that can be set to follow chord changes

- 16 triggers for samples

- high quallity hex sounds (as seen in PX-5S)

- VA bassynth

This little thing has probably everything a musician ever needs to be creative with music and create his own performances... but also a creative tool to creat your own compositions..

makes me wonder how Casio can allways put this much at such a low price into a little box.. i dont think there is anything as vesatile in functionallity on the market as this little box of creative tools..

At that price, i dare to predict a cult status for this instrument, espescially if prices drop further as they usually do with Casio after some months...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it says 500MB of sample memory that worries me. It sounds like static hardware memory.

If this could be used professionally in the way I use the FA would depend a lot on the memory allocation method on the sampler. What killed the usefullness of the XW-PD1 was that the device didn't have dynamic memory allocation for the SD Card storage. Each pad had strict memory limitations. I have pads that call really large mp3 files like a long version of Looney Tunes used as exit music. I forget the file size but it is huge.

If this had dynamic memory allocation from SD Card the sampler could be really useful depending on number of allowable banks the architechure allowed.

On the FA I can load 4 Banks of 16 pad samples with each individual song file. 32GB of samples can be stored on each card. Without actually researching and just reading the OP at face value it appears the Casio will store half of 1GB and how that memory is allocation between the pads I do not know. It may be static it may be dynamic.

Storage access and allocation will determine if this could be a poor man's FA or a poor man's SP404.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It's an arranger. They can be very good for singles or duos and they can be lots of fun to play along with at home for practicing. Here's what caught my eye from Casio's site:

In addition, Casio newly equipped the MZ-X500 with 16 touch-responsive multi-pads for broadening performance capabilities. The pads can be used to trigger preset patches and samples created by the user, as well as to play back musical phrases, allowing the user to enhance a performance with percussive hits and additional melodies while also playing the keyboard. Auto accompaniment chord progressions can also be assigned to any of the 16 pads, enabling the user to play chord progressions just by striking a pad. This eliminates the need to play chords continuously with the left hand so the user can focus on playing melodies.

Note it says "samples created by the user" and it also says above this quoted section that it has 90 minutes of wav audio recording time.

Casio has always made pretty decent arrangers at a certain price point. The new organ could be intriguing because their old one on the other models was useful even if nowhere near the standards we all talk about here.

This could be pretty good. You can easily gig with an arranger in a band even if you never use the arranger section. I've done that with my Korg on occasion because it had some sounds I wanted for a particular gig.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

This video by Ralph Maten really showcases some really creative ways to use everything together:

As i said.... A cult item in the making...so far ahead of the typicall low end arrangers where it comes to being creative with music... Or creating your own music...

Would be nice to pick this up on the used market later. Could probably get for 600-700 US $$.

Looks like a lot of fun.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I see XW-G1s for sale for $300. I thought the G1 was the coolest thing in the Casio's stable. There is a 19 second limit on samples but it does a lot of nest stuff.

Ralph! My favorite Ralph vid is with the G1.

Jim A called himself a dork in the other thread. No Jim this guy is the dork, you're a player. Wow, what a nerdy geek. I can just see him at a Star Wars convention dressed up as whatever.

He does show how the keyboard can do some things though.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I like the 'Give Yourself into the dark side sample'. I'm going to use that. Maybe as an intro to Lady Gaga's 'Just Dance'.

Anyone know what the action is like?

I haven't played one yet, but it appears to be the same or very similar action on the XW-P1/G1 and CTK/WK keyboards. It's piano style key with a synth-like action. Ralph confirmed this the other day in the MZ-X FB Group.

Anyone know what the action is like?

I haven't played one yet, but it appears to be the same or very similar action on the XW-P1/G1 and CTK/WK keyboards. It's piano style key with a synth-like action. Ralph confirmed this the other day in the MZ-X FB Group.

Yes its supposedly the same action as the XW synths...

• 10 months later...

Archived